Thread: Stephenson warmlight 3R tent question.

Default Stephenson warmlight 3R tent question.

Does anyone have experience with this tent up here?

I'm looking for a good mountain tent and I've got a opportunity to pick one up for a decent price.

I have had the same warmlight for over 10 years. Great tent, light, easy to set up and strong. I have not had it out in below zero but down to zero was fine. Handles wind well and very water tight. I have no issue with mine.

Thanks fish.
    I found a lightly used one for $285.
    Do u feel that is a good deal in your opinion?

If its been well taken care of then yes. Mine was around 700 new 10 years ago. Check zippers and seams and give it a good whiff. Mine has never been put away (long term) wet. If it smells moldy I would be cautious.

I've used the 3R a lot in the past. Ended up trading a fellow on here for his 2R, since the 3R was just too big for me and I wanted a better late season solo tent. Love the tent, but you really need to watch and manage moisture control as much as possible in them. I'm not sure what options the one you're looking at has, but hopefully it has the large side windows. Those really help to get condensation out. They pitch super fast. Another trick to them is that there is no floorless vestibule area. I usually carried a small piece of poly-cro or tyvek and laid it in the front door to throw my boots and gear on. Then, when it was time to get out, I'd roll it up and dump any water/sand...etc. off of it.

I have owned a 3R for 11 years, had mine made with the double wall for moisture control. Also had the hurricane clips installed and all seams sealed.Had it on 10 mountain hunts and never had a problem.

Also give the 3R a thumbs up. Have had it on several hunts and never had a problem although have never had mine in really strong winds. Mine is double walled on the sides and single on the ends. I agree on the need to watch the moisture control as the single wall leads to considerable condensation if not careful. Back in the days when the catalogue was on the "interesting" side (if you ever saw it you know what I mean) the makers would say that if you got condensation in the tent you essentially did not know what you are doing -- I suspect they didn't have much experience in the conditions we can see up here.
    For the weight and size it is hard to beat in my opinion and that sounds like a great price if it has been taken care of.

Thanks guys!
    I ended up purchasing the tent and cat wait for the opportunity to use it

I can say without reservation that when I bought mine they had the greatest web site you have ever seen (sort of), at least if you like 70s. Everyone on the web page was naked.

I bought that tent. I just set it up... Wow! It's huge
    I can't wait to use it.