Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai river Kings

Default Kenai river Kings

Any scuttlebutt on this years forecast ? Will June be closed again ?

I talked to ADFG yesterday (2-10) about this and was told that the forecast was scheduled to be released sometime tomorrow (2-12).

Can't imagine it could look very good.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

At this point it should be a crime to open it. The returns have been abysmal. Why anyone would want to continue to harass and further destroy, at any level, a run that is having so much trouble is beyond me. They should close it to king fishing for 5 years to start with.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'm thinking the same thing. Close the river for five years and lets see what happenes
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    At this point it should be a crime to open it. The returns have been abysmal. Why anyone would want to continue to harass and further destroy, at any level, a run that is having so much trouble is beyond me. They should close it to king fishing for 5 years to start with.
    At this point anyone who even wets a line for kings in the Kenai should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    At this point anyone who even wets a line for kings in the Kenai should be ashamed of themselves.
    Even if the professionals at ADF&G say it's okay to do so?

Hey pen, don't care if its the first or second run, leave all those fish alone
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Let your conscience be your guide. If a person is educated in this fishery and knows it is really struggling, and they fish it anyway, it says a lot about their integrity.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

My "guess" is the first run will be restricted to start the season. C&R or closed who knows but I am thinking restriction one way or the other. Its been closed the last few years and if the forecast or run strength is below average ADF&G will close it once again without hesitation.

Second run, guessing it will start restricted with no bait, closed above Slikok Creek, but open to retention below this point. The commercial fishery will also start in a cautious or restricted mode.

If the river is open to fishing for kings and someone wishes to go then who is anyone to judge that person? If there are not enough kings ADF&G has shown they will take the next step and restrict all fisheries further.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post

If the river is open to fishing for kings and someone wishes to go then who is anyone to judge that person? If there are not enough kings ADF&G has shown they will take the next step and restrict all fisheries further.
    Exactly.

I fish the river a couple of times a year and people think my opinion/observation about the run should supersede the management plan put in place by the people who study it everyday? Yeah, right. If it's legal to fish I won't pass judgment on those who wish to fish (nothing worse than getting the stink eye from the righteous middle river crowd when I decide to keep a legally caught trout for dinner).

I think they should allow gill nets in the river.
    That way they can get rid of the rest of them dang sammin's.

Didn't want y'all to get the wrong idea.

I talked to ADFG yesterday (2-10) about this and was told that the forecast was scheduled to be released sometime tomorrow (2-12).
    Nothing posted to the website at the close of business today... Feb 12, 2015

No Emergency orders or News Releases have been issued to date for the area/region you have selected.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

What I was told was Kenai River First Run Forecast is 5200 and the second run is 22,000.

Heard that announcements as far as how fishery will start might come as early as next week.

Thx for the update.

Wonder how many kings does that leave for the subsistence gillnets when the entire un-fished run falls short of the goal?
    The KeenEye MD

Its a shame fish and game cares more about the rainbow trout than our kings. Too bad the trout don't eat better. Eagles seem to like them. What do trout eat besides smolt and eggs.

We could try a point system to do C&R on kings. You get 1 point for each trout you kill in the Kenai, and for every 150 points you get one king C&R. Just joking

I don't want to catch and release them. Just like to eat a couple a year. I like the way you think though and will pass your idea along.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Yep, even if they say so. You can bet that the ones that really care about the fish would recommend closing it, but outer influences make them have to follow marching orders.

My "guess" is the first run will be restricted to start the season. C&R or closed who knows but I am thinking restriction one way or the other. Its been closed the last few years and if the forecast or run strength is below average ADF&G will close it once again without hesitation.

Second run, guessing it will start restricted with no bait, closed above Slikok Creek, but open to retention below this point. The commercial fishery will also start in a cautious or restricted mode.

The simple reality is that the Kenai Kings are in dire trouble. No ifs, ands, or buts. Money makes the decisions and we all know that. I love King salmon, I would love nothing more than to fish the Kenai. However, I know that every fish I hook means the possibility of one less on the gravel. If you want to fish, go ahead, but don't complain when the season is permanently shut down because the Kings are gone.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast