Thread: Moving to Ketchikan...North end or South end?????

Default Moving to Ketchikan...North end or South end?????

Moving to Ketchikan this summer. Have talked to a few people that have lived there and it seems pretty spit as to which end is better suited for access to hunting and fishing.

Consensus seems to be that south is better for fishing, shrimping and crabbing; but north allows for much shorter run to POW. I also here the ramp and marina amenities are nicer in the north. Either way Im staying out of the city. Just looking to see which end gives me more options.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I have lived north for over 40 years and I think it is quicker getting to POW from that end. I also have never had a problem finding fish, shrimp and crabs at the north end.

Good luck in your decision.

The boat launches are only 20 miles apart by road, so you really don't need to choose. You can enjoy either one depending on how you feel on the day

If you were meaning to ask where you should get a reserved stall for your boat, the Hole In The Wall harbor out south is wait-listed and they have closed the wait list at least until the proposed renovation is completed around this time next year, so going out north (Knudson Cove, or one of the private docks) is your only option if you don't want it in the city.

South is kinda of around the corner and is in the winter shade ... snowy cold winters are colder and more frozen out there.

North has more area and more to choose from. But more people live out there making for more traffic. Half hour drive with high gas $'s adds up.

There are boat launches from South to North and in-between. There is a 7 knot speed limit through Tongass Narrows for 22+ ft vessels.

When we moved to town after living in the country (POW) for 15 years we chose the NW Carlana neighborhood ... on the edge of things and Chinese food delivers.

Can't speak to KTN but I can speak to the scenario because it's the same in JNU. The nicest ramp and access to the southend is in Douglas, the second nicest ramp and access to the north end is Amalga, about 25 miles (45 minutes) away. We started in Douglas for me the southend was close to work, super close to a nice ramp, but the farthest ramp (that I actually use) at Amalga was 25 miles and most of that through the busy section of roads. The fishing in general is better out of the north end due to it's proximity to Lynn Canal and other factors, but the south has way less pressure and still decent fishing if you know where to look.

It worked fine and if i wanted to fish the north end I just drove out, however, Douglas gets those nasty Taku winds, is very shaded (snowbanks til june kind of shaded), and receives more rain than other parts of hte JNU system. It is also really quiet, has some great folks per capita living in it, I could hunt from my back door, see my crab pot (with binocs) from the front window.

On the flipside, out by Amalga is much drier, lots are bigger, it's a real nice place, but, it's a fairly long drive to Juneau proper (in SE distances anyway). I ended up compromising three years later and got a place in the valley near the airport, so I'm 20 minutes from the south end, 20ish minutes from the north end, and I have sun on my house 365 if she peeks out of the clouds, no Taku winds. My current living situation is so much easier on my mental health that I am okay with whatever compromise I may have made.

My convoluted moral of the story is, if you are trailering, pick the area that is most attractive to live in, you will hardly notice an "extra" drive time to whatever end you wish to experience, and you will maximize enjoyment of your home, which is where you likely spend more time than you do fishing.

Good luck with your search.

I lived North by Clover Pass. Only way to go. I shrimped in Clover Pass, killed kings, silvers, but had to run over to Helm bay for crab.

Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards north end, probably Clover area. Don't mind the drive every few days. Primary goal is being close to fishing and hunting.

Being that you are living in Kodiak, you know something about rough, wet, windy Alaskan weather, but I still think your primary goal should be a home site that you enjoy. The drive will likely not be a big deal, and both ends sound like they are needed for the real deal. Enjoy SE, it's a good place.