Thread: DeLorme InReach Explorer

Default DeLorme InReach Explorer

I am posting this here because this is the main forum I visit. I wanted to share my experience with the DeLorme InReach Explorer personal satellite communicator.

After five years carrying the SPOT I & II and being frustrated with warm up times, signal lock times and reliability of outgoing message transmissions, I purchased the Delorme InReach. The Iridium network is hands down, above and beyond and superior in every way to the global star system.

I have used it for three days now, on the road system, on the trails and rivers of the Mat-Su valley and even tested it in tight valleys and tree filled areas. From Power on to the time I can send my first message is sun one minute. EVERY single one of my messages have gone through with audible confirmation and were received in email and SMS within another 5-10 seconds. The tracking feature has also been 100% reliable and accurate.

Now I understand I have not been in the "wilds" of Alaska or deep in the mountains, but I am using it in the same places that I could not trust my SPOT devices to quickly or reliably function.

If anyone is looking for a pocket device that allows reliable reporting service and two way communication in Alaska, I would seriously give this unit a look.

No It is not a SAT phone or PLB, and I am not saying that this is better than those options, but this is a much better option for the folks looking at the other products in this category.

Tom

I picked one up back in October. Drove back up from South Carolina in November up the Alcan. It has been extremely reliable. All messages in and out with no problem. I will also have a PLB later. But the InReach is everything I was hoping it would be.

Eric

If anyone is interested I could do a group buy. I don't usually stock them but I'm a dealer and was going to place an order soon for rental units. I've been pretty impressed with both the SE and fully featured Explorer. The only issue I've seen was due to improper charging with a portable solar charger and Delorme support took care of it right away.

Justin
    Fairbanks Sat Phone Rental
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I completely agree. In Reach is awesome. From the mountains south of Halibut Cove to PWS to the Talkeetnas to deep in the Chugach to the Argentinian Andes..... never took more than a minute to get a signal. When you pair it with a smartphone (or I guess there's a standalone version now) you can send and receive text messages and when you set it on track, your friends and family can log in to your page (assuming you want them to) and see where you are at. I also got frustrated with the SPOT and have been very happy with my In Reach. Lots of different options for monthly plans too, depending on how you are going to use it.

I have the InReach, not the Explorer model. Been extremely happy with it also. Have sent messages from Homer, Prince William Sound, the Brooks Range, Costa Rica, never had any trouble getting or receiving messages. Even without the Explorer model, pairing it with an iPad is great, the interface is a little clunky but you can download all the NOAA charts and have a big display for a fraction of the cost of those big screen Garmin Plotter/Fish Finders. Will at least show you where you are.

I am definitely in the market for something.
    I've got a few remote hunts coming up and my wife will insist I have something with me.

What are the best charging options for the inReach for remote hunts?

I switched over this winter to the InReach. What a great move. Now I can send text messages back and forth with the lodge. My wife uploaded the APP to her smart phone so she can text in her smart phone through the InReach. You can do it just on the InReach, but it takes a while hunting letters. I'm watching my wife on the InReach map right now as she drives the jeep with a drag in from Cantwell. I think our plan is $24 a month with up to 40 texts and unlimited tracking. A little more spendy, but worth it for me, anyhow.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Great to know. I'm still using the first generation SPOT, but would like to upgrade if for no other reason than my unit is getting pretty beat up from years of use. Looks like I'll be going this route based on the reports I read here.

I was considering a InReach. I was also considering this, but quite a bit more boat dollars.....

https://www.iridium.com//products/Ir...tCategoryID=29

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I switched over this winter to the InReach. What a great move. Now I can send text messages back and forth with the lodge. My wife uploaded the APP to her smart phone so she can text in her smart phone through the InReach. You can do it just on the InReach, but it takes a while hunting letters. I'm watching my wife on the InReach map right now as she drives the jeep with a drag in from Cantwell. I think our plan is $24 a month with up to 40 texts and unlimited tracking. A little more spendy, but worth it for me, anyhow.
    Claude
    I have the InReach and love it. I just have the basic plan and pay more when I use it more, but overall it's a really nice unit. I also like that you can send InReach to InReach messages. I use that feature when I'm trying to meet up with buddies in Prince William Sound and they are out of radio range. Great for letting them know I'm running late or whatever without them thinking they need to worry when I'm not where I said I'd be.

check out this video and the information in the link.
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Person.../Buying-Advice

I used the inreach pretty regularly this winter up on the slope......for the most part it worked pretty good, had one situation where it wouldn't receive texts for about 24 hrs. I had 2 other occasions this happened but only on mine & did the factory reset after relizing it wasn't receiving & it began working again.....the phone app is the way to go....almost like texting back & forth