Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting - Kuiu Chinook or Guide?

Default Sheep hunting - Kuiu Chinook or Guide?

Hello

Looking at a new outerwear set this year. I'm on the fence on the Kuiu Chinook or the Guide weight stuff. My other go to set is a pair of Sitka 90's. An it is sometimes too heavy...

Just wondering if the chinook series is going to be too light?? Have seen snow on many a sheep hunt, aug 10-25 or so. As other folks know, you can get freezing to 70 degree weather.

As far as the Kuiu line goes, whats your go to weight for sheep hunting?

Thanks

My combo is the KUIU Chugach rain gear and the treated down jacket and pants for an insulation layer. When I'm climbing I wouldn't want anything more substantial than the Chugach gear, and when things get cold or I sit down to glass the down layers are awesome. I had mine in some rough weather this year - constant snow and rain between 25-35 degrees - and it performed flawlessly.

I have the Guide jacket, but it is too heavy to take sheep hunting. As Brian stated better ways to get insulation and rain protection. I wear a merino baselayer, use a Patogonia wind shirt 4OZs, and Kuiu Super Down for insulation once I stop and add the protection of the Chugach jacket for rain and extra wind coverage. When I'm packing everything I want items that serve more than one purpose, the Guide Jacket is nice, almost the same as Sitka 90%, but it is not waterproof, or as insulating and the Super Down and weighs much more.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well dang, that's a good angle... Not totally new to sheep hunting, 5 hunts so far. Raingear was next on my hit list. In the past my upper layers were marmot precip, Sitka 90 and a marmot (I believe) light synthetic puff coat. I need to weigh all those layers,,,,and compare. I like dual use gear as well. I've been a bit leery about breathable raingear, but maybe they have it figured out.

You are spending a bit more cash to get there though....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    maybe they have it figured out.
    From my experiences they have it down just about as good as the physics allows. I echo Brian and Steve on 'waterproofness" on the outside with room for insulation as needed. My Chugach pants and Yukon jacket served me well in the squalls of the sheep mountains and downpours of southern southeast in November. I have an older set of Sitka Downpour tops and bottoms and have been pleased with the upgrade, although the Kuiu is a little more noisy going through brush. Sheep won't hear that though.

Next to skin insulation of choice is long sleeved merino shirt, i carry two lightweight ones, if both of those are not going to cut the chill I bring out the waterproof down puffy from now extinct GoLite - their Bitterroot model is very light and very warm. Sad to see them go.

Kuiu is a little more spendy than some want to pay, but occasionally something will go on sale or they will have a deal - but if someones out hunting and uncomfortable due to gear issues the extra coin for the good stuff mighta been worth it!

Dang, while I'm at it, camo.... I do like camo sheep hunting, maybe from too many years bowhunting down south though. Also, makes this gear "special" I don't put it on to go salmon fishing...

Vias or Verde? On a recent caribou hunt, my brothers had Vias, I could see them a long ways out. We have so much green I'm thinking verde )may be a better choice. Brian, already see your choice

I am partial to Verde
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post

Vias or Verde? On a recent caribou hunt, my brothers had Vias, I could see them a long ways out. We have so much green I'm thinking verde )may be a better choice. Brian, already see your choice
    My Chugach gear is the first generation solid olive color (which I don't think they make anymore - though the brown doesn't appear to be much different), but my newer gear is in the Verde pattern. I think I like the lighter colors of the Vias, but prefer the more obscured pattern of the Verde. Either will work fine, though.

i like vias,,

Founding Member

Default Sheep hunting - Kuiu Chinook or Guide?

In a continuing effort to save wt., my Chugach rain gear is the only outerwear I take up in the mountains anymore. Merino wool base, then the Chugach NX, and I always have a set of puffy pants and jacket to throw on when it gets cold. I'm also partial to the Vias pattern.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423537265.511112.jpg

+1 KUIU Chugach rain gear over merino wool, marmot wind shirt, super down for glassing, OR gaiters covers 90% of my hunting sheep, goat, caribou, moose, bear, fox, or deer. Nothing is perfect but this is as close as I have found, I am partially to Vias although I did not like it at first. 4 years running KUIU averaging 30 days a year in the field from Ketchikan to Kodiak to Kotz still on my first set!

Yup as others said I had both the Chugach and the Guide...rarely used the guide jacket so I sold it. Granted I no longer use either Chugach or the guide jacket in favor of Westcomb eVent rain jacket and GoLite bitterroot for insulation like hoonahtic mentioned.

Question for you guys that wear the down jackets......

I'm wondering if the 850 fill power is really needed in Aug-Sept. I'm sure it's probably nice, but do you feel that a guy could get away with and be comfortable with 600-700 fill...??? Have any of you tried any of the Mt Hardware down jackets at about a pound?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

I'm wondering if the 850 fill power is really needed in Aug-Sept. I'm sure it's probably nice, but do you feel that a guy could get away with and be comfortable with 600-700 fill...??? Have any of you tried any of the Mt Hardware down jackets at about a pound?
    I have a mountain hardware kelvinator down jacket and its fine. weighs right at 16 oz.

With that said I'm looking forward to getting a kuiu super down and saving myself 6 oz.

Ya, I have a non-hooded down MH jacket that weighs 15 oz. and I have used it on sheep hunts in Aug., but my favorite puffy jacket right now is a Kuiu hooded super down that weighs 11 oz.

I have never wanted LESS, and in fact many time have wanted MORE. I actually pack 2 water proof down jackets, my Kuiu SD for light wear and my Go Lite Bitterroot jacket and at times I layer those. It can be COLD we have had snow many times, but I hunt up north a lot.
    Founding Member

Are you thinking about the Phantom Hooded by M.H.? Friend has one with no waterproof down and he likes it a lot, although he just wears it around town and is not a hunter. Online weight is listed as 1lb 1oz but is probably the small size. My size large Bitterroot is 14.5 and the 850 fill variety. It came with me on every hunt in 2014, spring bear and hooters, sheep and deer from Aug 1 through Thanksgiving. You could get away with 600 or 700, but why try to skimp by? Something warmer would be other times of the year anyway. I don't have the coin to afford two down hunting coats, and even if I did I would not. Its almost hard to find 600 fill in anything lightweight/mountain worthy these days anyways especially if you were trying to keep weight down.

The Bitterroot also stuffs into its own pocket and becomes a real nice pillow, which is awesome treat on the mountain. The Mountain Hardware also claims to pack into its own pocket but the image online of it in packed mode looks substantially smaller than what my jacket does - less fill? Different jacket in the picture? Dunno but its a bummer Golite went kaput... I know I probably sound like a golite repp by now but I just really like my jacket! My Jacket vote #2 would be a Kuiu 850+ superdown - 3/4 the price of MH, and 5/8th the price, plus two way stretch fabric and allegedly a better DWR on the outside?

Kuiu Chugach hasn't let me down so far. I have gone down for my sleeping bag but haven't thrown down on it for a puffy coat yet. I still roll mountain hard wear compressor puffy gear. There is definitely lighter more high tech out there but for a working man with 3 kids to feed and keep in football cleats they get it done and I'm comfortable.

Any of you guy used or looked a first lite gear? It "looks" like descent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Any of you guy used or looked a first lite gear? It "looks" like descent stuff.
    Yup, I have their puffy (I call it the unpronounceable ) Thinking about getting their rain gear a whirl this year as well. I liked the weight of it when I was looking at it at SHOT show. We shall see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast