Thread: Wolfs

Default Wolfs

Wolfs have finally started showing up around here near Cordova and I would like to bag just one for personal display. My question is does anyone have stretcher board dimensions and what caliber do you use? I've heard and seen pelts that were shot with 30-06, 300 win mag, 7mm, even a 338 and there was hardly any noticeable damage. Again I'm not selling the hide this one is just for me. Thanks!

Default Wolfs

NAFTA website has a handout. Fur care that has the stretcher dimensions, I used it to cut my own coyote board am it worked great!

Fur damage generally relates to speed, bullet construction and shot placement. I wouldn't think twice about shooting a wolf in general with any gun, but for best hide quality I wouldn't want to shoot one at 30 yards with a .300 WM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I checked the NAFA website and they didn't have a dimensions for wolfs. Did some asking around town and someone told me these dimensions:

Length of board is 96"
    Board thickness is 3/4"

Then from the top to bottom:

2"-3 3/4"
    6"-6"
    12"-8 1/4"
    24"-9 7/8"
    36"-10 3/4"
    48"-10 3/4"
    72"-11 3/4"
    96"-12 1/2"

Those seem good?

Good luck with the "Wolves"

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Good luck with the "Wolves"
    Want to elaborate some? Got any hints? You can't leave me with a "good luck with the "wolves""

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    Want to elaborate some? Got any hints? You can't leave me with a "good luck with the "wolves""
    I think he was correcting the spelling of the plural word for wolf... ... And a good luck message as well.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Yea I checked the NAFA website and they didn't have a dimensions for wolfs. Did some asking around town and someone told me these dimensions:

Length of board is 96"
    Board thickness is 3/4"

Then from the top to bottom:

2"-3 3/4"
    6"-6"
    12"-8 1/4"
    24"-9 7/8"
    36"-10 3/4"
    48"-10 3/4"
    72"-11 3/4"
    96"-12 1/2"

Those seem good?
    Sorry, thought they were in there, maybe I've got another reference in mind, I'll check when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I think he was correcting the spelling of the plural word for wolf... ... And a good luck message as well.
    For awhile there I thought these "wolfs" were some special hybrid of regular wolves.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I suck at spelling sorry and thank you again for the luck. Going to try and go out this weekend for one!

My oldest son does as well.. he is an absolutely terrible speller. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

From deep in the wolf's den I heard a woof, and to my chagrin I looked around only to find that the wolf who went woof alerted the wolves in the winter.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Easy now, it's been actually many a year since we've had the grammar police start busting down doors. This is seemingly all in good humor but some folks with awful grammar may just be the ones that give you the informative tip of a lifetime.

And I have a journalism degree and a decent number of published works.......so don't make me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Easy now, it's been actually many a year since we've had the grammar police start busting down doors. This is seemingly all in good humor but some folks with awful grammar may just be the ones that give you the informative tip of a lifetime.

And I have a journalism degree and a decent number of published works.......so don't make me.......
    Don't check mine, I'm just fun'n.

Back to the original post-if you are keeping it then it's up to you how big of a hole you put in it. If I see one and all I have is my 300 WSM I will not hesitate to use it since I would be keeping the fur in my house. If you want it to have re-sale value, generally the bigger the hole/holes in a fur the less money it is worth. No holes bring the greatest price at auction generally. But then again if you shoot a monster size wolf in a rare color variation it will bring good money anyway, more with no holes.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

If you are new to wolf trapping the best invetment you can make is the Alaska Wolf Trapper Manual That the Alaska Trappers Association produces you can buy it off their web site http://www.alaskatrappers.org/
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Fur Harvesters has a PDF of board sizes, including wolf.

http://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/boardzises-dim.pdf

the best caliber would be a 223 or 22-250. Less damage. 243 are okay for them.