Thread: Winter fishing at Eklutna Tailrace?

Default Winter fishing at Eklutna Tailrace?

Has anyone ever gone or do people go out to the Tailrace in the winter? I was at Sportsmans the other day and the report board said dollies and some coho were being caught. Was thinking of heading over there, actually still have not gotten out there yet (for the first time).

Waste of time or worth a try?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CalTexAk Reaper View Post
    Has anyone ever gone or do people go out to the Tailrace in the winter? I was at Sportsmans the other day and the report board said dollies and some coho were being caught. Was thinking of heading over there, actually still have not gotten out there yet (for the first time).

Waste of time or worth a try?

Thanks
    that's cuz they almost never change it...... I wouldn't count on it. There may be dollies but most of those Knik river mature dollies go to sea for winter.

Release Lake Trout

My guess would be no chance of salmon if so I'm very confused. As for dollies I'd say its worth a shot. I don't know the river system well in the way of timing but I have always been under the impression that dollies and rainbows spawn in rivers and lakes or plainly fresh water during winter months after following salmon up in the fall and return to the ocean during spring but the exact time frame I'm not sure but imagine all areas differ a bit yet still similar too one another. I do know as an example of timing that big lake has dollies right now spawning but I have yet too see a mature fish come out when the ice is gone. When I was alot younger I would walk the little Su on Welch road on fishhook and catch some very nice dollies and rarely rainbows not sure if they were see run but there is the chance. Unfortunately the best part of the little Su in that area is now dry during winter. I guess in the end I'd say its worth a shot. I've never heard of any one fishing during winter there though so I would guess it could go either way.

I've caught small 12-14" dollies there in the winter and early spring. Nymphs and fry patterns in the Knik itself at the confluence and down stream a little ways from the mouth of the Tailrace. I believe it was mid march a couples years ago I got into them with drys during a short lived hatch.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Cool! Thanks everyone, might give it a shot later this week just for something to do. I'll let you know how it goes.