Thread: Savage model 24 223/12ga

Default Savage model 24 223/12ga

What is a good price for one of of these? I sold one a few years go and can't remember what I got for it, I am thinking I sold it for $350 or so. I found one for $325, I am thinking it is a good price. It is matte black with a synthetic stock.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    What is a good price for one of of these? I sold one a few years go and can't remember what I got for it, I am thinking I sold it for $350 or so. I found one for $325, I am thinking it is a good price. It is matte black with a synthetic stock.
    A good friend of mine bought one sometime around '98, NIB for $350. I'd say $325 is an Ok price if the condition is good.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

That's a great price, if you don't buy it I would love to, seriously.

Yea that's about $100 under what I have seen them sell for and 223/12 gage would be a premium combination.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I would jump on that one. I bought one new in 2003 and they stopped making them around that time. Like a fool , I sold it shortly after buying it as I didn't use it much. I have now redeemed myself and picked up an identical. 223 over 12 and an older wood stocked 30/30 over 20 game. I don't plan on selling either one and I paid a chunk more than your$325.00.
    The 223 over 12 has been my go to gun for trapping this season. I plan on having a decent gunsmith take both barrels down to 18" recut the choke threads, put a peep on it and cerekote it.
    That will make a nice survival/foraging/trapping gun in my book. A .22lr chamber adapter will add another nice little feature to take small game with.
    By the way the twist rate on the. 223 is 1:14 so stick to 55grainers or less, at least mine likes that weight or less.

Mountaintrekker, what peep sight are planing to use and where are you getting same. I have been wanting one for same gun ever since I got the Savage.

I knew when I looked at it I should have jumped on it. I am going to check if it is still available. Thanks for confirming the value.

$350, still a good price, has a cheap scope on it.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Mountaintrekker, what peep sight are planing to use and where are you getting same. I have been wanting one for same gun ever since I got the Savage.
    Well, I recently bought a Skinner adjustable, winged peep from skinnersights.com for my Marlin 1895 guide gun and I have to double check but the screw holes are one inch apart which are the same for the Savage 24 without the scope base attached. For that matter any sight with one inch hole spacing will work.
    I'll have to do some measuring, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the front blade as well due to the height difference. No biggie, I was wanting to put a Fire Sight or similar on the front anyway. I think they are $16.00 or so from Brownell's.
    When I get a minute I'll check the hole spacing and let you know.

Mountaintrekker
    Last edited by Mountaintrekker; 02-10-2015 at 00:30. Reason: forgot something

thanks mountaintrekker, I checked with skinner and apparently they will not fit on the older guns. i was told in the past model 24 was built by a variety of different makers and the description of mine would not accept any kind of peep sight. i have been told that no one made a peep for my old gun but hoped you ad discovered a new source.

Peep sight: Just a random thought. Years ago I put a Williams peep on a Remington 66. I would think a person (edit: smarter and more skilled than I!) could make some kind of mount to fit your 24 on the bottom and grooved on top for that Williams.

interesting i'll who i might find. thanks