Thread: Guide Licensing

Default Guide Licensing

All classes of guides should; most likely, be licensed and regulated but currently only hunting guides are 'licensed and regulated'.

Could there be some legitimate reasons to support restructuring the current occupational guide licensing system to include all classes of guides under one roof?

All things considered it seems taking this type of action would be in the best interest of the public.

Benefit:
    The public who engages the services of a "guide" would have some assurance that the person who sold them a guided trip has been 'vetted' by the state and is accountable to an occupational licensing board and conducting their business under standard practices established by regulation.

Benefit:
    Taking such action would put all classes of guides who benefit from commercial use of state/federal lands and resources at the same table.

Benefit:
    Taking such action would increase revenues to the state.

Benefit:
    Taking such action would end subsidizing the current 'guide board' (Big Game Commercial Services Board).

As a licensed registered guide I think you have a good idea. Assuming they don't need a license, why should heli-ski guides, whitewater guides, fishing guides, waterfowl hunting guides and others not be licensed the same as big game guides. Clients of these guides need to know that they have the same degree of vetting as big game guides have gone through.
    I know that some of the "guides" that I mentioned do purchase an over the counter license of some sort, but with no testing or other requirements.

I am opposed to any government intervention/regulation that isn't absolutely necessary. To me this seems like another unnecessary layer of bureaucracy to an already over-regulated industry.

Im with ERL.

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    I am opposed to any government intervention/regulation that isn't absolutely necessary. To me this seems like another unnecessary layer of bureaucracy to an already over-regulated industry.
    What he said.............don't need more govt bureaucracy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have to agree with ERL. Just look what has happened with the BGSB. Look at what other states require compared to AK. No other state even comes close to what these idiots require.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    I have to agree with ERL. Just look what has happened with the BGSB. Look at what other states require compared to AK. No other state even comes close to what these idiots require.
    Exactly. What the BGCSB has done is the best evidence and reason to regroup on guide licensing and bring all classes of guides to the table to straighten it out.

Just one thing they still do require a transporter permit to move people in and out of areas for hunting purposes as well as pilots with proper insurance.