Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not this time!

Default Not this time!

So, many of you remember this thread
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-)?highlight=

Well, I said I would get one this year. Mission accomplished.
    Went for a ride from the house on snogo. Less than two miles from the house as the crow flies I stopped at a spot that the wife and I saw a wolf cross a swamp last year.
    Wind was blowing pretty good. Parked the snogo and walked about 300 yds down into a swamp and set up with ecaller and jack attack. Sat down next a few small spruce jack trees overlooking the V shaped swamp edge in front of me. Wind blowing from left to right. Caller on left edge of swamp about 80 yrds away. Played crow fight one time thru followed immediately by snowshoe distress call. Two Ravens immediately did a fly over expressing interest and adding their own vocals. One more round of crow fighting and follow up of snowshoe. Five minutes of silence, then one more round of crow/hare calls. About 5 minutes later out trots mr wolf from the left side of the swamp about 200 yrds away. He stays in the wide open as he approaches the decoy. When he gets 30 yrds or so from the decoy he stops and looks puzzled by it. I shoot and he turns away and trots 30 ft and stops again. I shoot again and clearly he is hit. As he runs off I get 2 more half arsed shots off and he disappears from my view after the recoil.
    I walk back to my snogo and return to the scene. I quickly locate the blood trail and tracks, motor the next 80 yrds and there he lays. Right where I last saw him. He hadnt even quite made the trees yet.
    Looks like a young one and the coat is not very plush. Rather soft and sparce I would say. No fleas that I noticed. I have him under plastic with some mothballs tonite just in case. Will take care of him in am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Wow very nice! Glad to see you put that AR to use! What bullets were you shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those were the 62 grain green tip federals. He made it about 60 yrds before he dropped. I'll look closer tomorrow but looks like about a quarter size hole thru him.

Congrats Cod! Always nice to be able to connect on a critter as elusive as a wolf. He looks like he was a little hungry when he met his demise. Lack of snow making it harder on the wolves maybe?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Very likely lack of snow is making an impact in their hunting.

Release Lake Trout

Looks starved. Congratulations Cod, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    He looks like he was a little hungry when he met his demise.

What are you going to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Looks starved. Congratulations Cod, well done.
    Part of the 'starved' look was my fault. He had some snow piled up near his waist/stomach area when I took the photo. I noticed it as I was taking the pic but didn't bother uncovering him a bit there. So some of it is a bit of trick photography. Although yes, he looks like juvie.
    I am going to try blowing his fur loose with the air compressed method shortly. Tube style. Salt him up and consult with Kenny maybe. Should look ok as a wall hanger skin, eh? Be nice to get the skull cleaned up too.
    That was only the second time I even called this year. I followed one of his trails back into the spruce trees lining the swamp and located a bed only 50 yrds in. Don't think he came from that particular bed or he may have heard me setting up. However, it tells me he probably had several bedding areas nearby and the trails around the area tell me he had been using that area regularly. And it confirms another thing I had assumed. That the wolves were bedding in spruce groves that surround swamps rather than hanging down in the river bottoms.

Good Job! Def a young one, that fur sure does look light from the pic, no guard hairs???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would definitely make a wall hangar if nothing else, if your going to go to the trouble of skinning it, you might as well get on the NAFTa site and get e dimensions for a stretcher, cut one out of 2x material. Flesh it, stretch it and salt it if you want. Then you'll have plenty of time to decide exactly what to do with it. I think Moyles will tan it for like $50, check their website. If you want a wall hangar get them to do the "garment" tan. It's very soft.

Cod, if you choose to flesh, prep and salt it - you don't need to stretch it on a stretcher. Stretching is really only for the fur market, so that buyers can determine the quality of the hide/hair.... And limon is correct - moyles garment tan is cheapest, but you will never be able to do any type of taxidermy with it if you do. Just an FYI. They cut the eyelids and earbutts clean off for their garment tan.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I would definitely make a wall hangar if nothing else, if your going to go to the trouble of skinning it, you might as well get on the NAFTa site and get e dimensions for a stretcher, cut one out of 2x material. Flesh it, stretch it and salt it if you want. Then you'll have plenty of time to decide exactly what to do with it. I think Moyles will tan it for like $50, check their website. If you want a wall hangar get them to do the "garment" tan. It's very soft.

Thanks Limon, I think I have a stretch board that will work.
    Been a while since I used to play with hides. My coyote hide wasn't too bad from a couple yrs ago. Practice practice practice.
    Hope for some snow. We should get together again, Limon. Lots and lots of sign (mostly wolf). Called a coyote from across the river right from my deck a few nites ago day after the full moon. Could see really good down below with the moonlite. (No shot tho).

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Good Job! Def a young one, that fur sure does look light from the pic, no guard hairs???

From nape to near rear, not much guard hair. Will post pics later.

Congratulations. Good for you man. I wouldn't fret at all about shooting a youngster. Especially one that was on the verge of starving to death. You did that poor guy a favor. Perhaps he somehow got separated from the rest of his pack and he had a poor chance of surviving on his own. The bunny huggers don't realize the reality of how cruel mother nature can be sometimes. This is just another good example of the benefit of predator control. The lack of snow is hard on the wolves because they can't catch moose as easy as they normally can with the deep snow. By harvesting him you helped nature along by eliminating one of the weak and starving members of the pack, and you spared him the agony of a slow and painful death. Besides, once you get the hide tanned you won't be able to tell the difference if he was starving or healthy. It will just look like a another wolf hide on the wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	83238 For some reason my ph likes to post my pics wrong on this forum.
    Anyhow, hide it not too bad. Young female. Mites on underbelly. Apparently I broke both a front and rear left side leg on my last shot at about 185 yrds as it ran away. Surprised that it made it 80 yrds with where I hit it. The shot hole seen earlier is the exit wound. The entrance hole was about 3 inches farther forward.
    So I cut the legs off a bit higher than I would of liked, due to leg hit. I'm not used to 'tube' skinning so this was new to me. I'm usually gutting my game.
    We have two cats. One formally a ferral cat. Normally happy, comfy and content he was. He's been on red alert and lockdown since the wolf smell came home.

Default wolf hide pics

Thought I would show a couple pics of the hide from the wolf I 'practiced' on. I tried the air compressor method and it did blow the hide off much of the carcuss, it did not completely free it to easily pull the hide off. I ended up pretty much knife skinning the whole thing. The hide had a bullet exit about the size of a quarter coming out the right side of the chest area. By the time that I was finished with the hide it had a tear about 4 inches long in the underbelly area and a few other nicks in a couple other spots.
    I would guess I probably put 16-18 hrs skinning, fleshing, salting, fleshing, salting etc etc. The ears are mostly flexible and can be positioned. Many of the whiskers fell or got rubbed off, but he still has some. The belly area is really thin. Almost paper like. (he did have lice in belly area). The hide is fairly flexible. Not like a tanned hide tho.
    Definitely lots harder trying to deal with a tube skin than a open cut pelt. Next time may try the open cut again like I did my coyote.
    Overall, came out about how I thought it would. Hair itself was better/longer than I expected it would. Wasnt as small as I thought either.
    Any tips on making the pelts more 'flexible' please advise. Especially head and neck or leg areas. I made numerous salts and scrapes time and time again but would be happier if I could get these hides 'more' flexible. Thanks.

Name:	wolf hide 1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	83904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf hide.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	83905

Default More wolf pics

A couple more pics of interest... maybe. One below you can see two partial porcupine quills that were under the hide on its rear end. I think she had like 4 of them in her upper rear end area. I would suppose almost any wild dog would have an experience or two with porkies before they learn their lesson.
    The other pic is the lice in the fur of its underbelly, for those like myself that had not had experience or seen canine lice.

Name:	wolf hide 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	83907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf hide 3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	83906

I took a large male years ago that was lice infested. Hair was real thin on the body, but looked normal on the head and most of the neck. I had a head/neck mount made using some of the fur that was good to replace some on the back of the neck that wasn't. Hung the tail, which was fully furred, next to the head. Looks real nice. I kept the skull also, and best I can tell from researching, is right up there for size.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Nice job! Looks like youre getting those wolves dialed in. Youre motivating me to get out there and save a kp moose.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    A couple more pics of interest... maybe. One below you can see two partial porcupine quills that were under the hide on its rear end. I think she had like 4 of them in her upper rear end area. I would suppose almost any wild dog would have an experience or two with porkies before they learn their lesson.
    The other pic is the lice in the fur of its underbelly, for those like myself that had not had experience or seen canine lice.
    Congrats on the score...!!! Sure hate to see that lice though. Surprised it didn't have bare spots anywhere......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast