Thread: Skilak River trip

Default Skilak River trip

Molly and I loaded up friday evening and headed to Doroshin bay on Skilak lake in our new to us 18' River Runner. It was absolutely beautiful, with water nearly flat calm and temps in the high 60's and low 70's. We made good time and were able to find the cabin without any trouble. What a beautiful area.

The next morning we headed out for Skilak River for my first attempt at running skinny water. I had spoke with a co-worker that had been up the river in his canoe and recommended that I stay "left". Well, I stayed so far left I didnt see the main channel. I came to a fairly quick halt when I looked ahead and discovered my channel ended about 100 yards ahead. Getting the boat back in deeper water was cake, and we were on our way in about 10 minutes. Some on foot hiking located the main channel that actually had current, but being new to the game, and quite some distance to safety, on a lake that can get nasty very quick, I decided to head back toward the cabin and do some fishing.

It was a GREAT weekend, and I can't wait to go back and try running up the river again.
    Last edited by bgreen; 09-23-2007 at 20:11.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

oops! wrong channel
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Sounds like you all had a great trip and caught some sunny weather. You will enjoy that old river runner, they are great boats for Alaska's veried waterways. What size Merc are you running?

Default No wind, amazing!

I usually blows up there in the evening. It sure was a beautiful weekend to get out. I've never tried to get up Skilak River, just fished the Kenai enjoy boating on the lake.

Tim

Its an '84 or so 115 hp Merc. Mixing gas is a bit of an inconvenience but I do like the simplicity of the engine. I have really enjoyed it so far, and being my first boat, I have lots to learn and experience in the years to come. I can't wait to go out again! I'd love to go back to the Skilak River in the near future if anyone else would like to make the trip as well. I'd like to do a bit of riding along before I venture back into the "skinny" water again.
    On that note, does anyone know what the locals use for communication on Skilak Lake? I bought a VHF radio for the boat, but haven't used it near any water. I was able to get cell reception while on the middle and western ends of the lake, but had no service on the east end. It'd be nice to know I could get in touch with someone in case I needed a ride back to the north side of the lake.

The river looked navigable once we found the right channel, I waded in as far as my hip boots would let me and still hadn't found the deepest part as far as I could tell.

It was a beautiful weekend, especially Friday night and Saturday morning! Last weekend was great as well, flat calm, sunny, what more could a person want!

Can You rent the cabin in dorshin bay?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Yes, call the KNWR. They can take credit or debit cards over the phone and email you confirmation and your registration.

Hey Brook (its FireMedic) Good to see you have branched into boating now as well! I have some Skilak trips planned this year as well and was planning to take Steph and the kiddo to that cabin to stay for a day or so. We should get together and make a family trip some time. Later,
    JAY

OH,
    thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    The river looked navigable once we found the right channel, I waded in as far as my hip boots would let me and still hadn't found the deepest part as far as I could tell.
    In that case you had about 2 feet too much water!!!

Thanks for sharing!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I spoke with a guy that canoes up it once and a while... Hes saying that I might be able to go up river a "ways", but after a "bit" you'll have to start jumping gravel bars where the river changes elevation. Im not interested in that level of boating, but I do want to see how far I can go without doing any aerobatics. A real small jon boat sounds like it would be the ticket.

Nice boat...glad to see you get a new toy. I`m saving for a 18-20' myself.
    O/T...Is the fire anywhere near your cabin?

Just read the other thread in fishing...sorry man. Plan a good trip up there next summer and I`m sure you could talk a few of AKX/ROGUE, etc...out of some labor.