Thread: Dog Health.....

Default Dog Health.....

A couple things here......

I'm looking for input on something good that will clean my 8 year old yellow lab's teeth, and will continue to clean them if given on a day to day, or weekly basis?

Also, it seems like my dog is suffering from bouts of diarrhea every couple months or so. So much to the point that he starts to bleed. He has always had a sensitive stomach so early on we figured out he is allergic to corn. So we've been giving him the "good stuff". Got tired of paying God awful prices at Petco so went with Kirkland brand awhile back. He was 7 years old so gave him "mature dog" (chicken) formula mixed with a little salmon and all was well for quite awhile.Then he got diarrhea and started bleeding real bad. Took him to the vet and to the tune of $400. they gave us some drugs, told him to give him boiled chicken and rice for awhile, and really didn't tell us anything other than they he may have the dog version of colitis. Thinking that maybe there was something in that mature dog formula that didn't agree with him, I stayed with Kirkland but went to the salmon blend. So far so good.....

But early this morn he woke us up whining to get out and he has diarrhea again and already some blood. Wondering if anybody has ever figured out that cooked up salmon in dogs food may be a bit too rich if fed everyday? I do mix some of the fish skin in with it as well.

Wondering if anybody else has gone through this...???

Would appreciate some input on this asap as I have to get a handle on it right away.

Thanks......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I can only speak to my Schnauzers, I cook them brown rice with ground turkey and add some Purina Lamb and Rice bagged food. To keep their teeth clean and I have had to had the Vet do so many times, my Vet recommended "Beef Knees" these so far have worked very well. We almost killed our female giving her those chicken treats from Sams before we figured out what was making her sick.

Hope you get it figured out

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I can only speak to my Schnauzers, I cook them brown rice with ground turkey and add some Purina Lamb and Rice bagged food. To keep their teeth clean and I have had to had the Vet do so many times, my Vet recommended "Beef Knees" these so far have worked very well. We almost killed our female giving her those chicken treats from Sams before we figured out what was making her sick.

Hope you get it figured out

Steve
    Hi Steve.....always good to hear from you....

Yes, they "think" they figured that some of those treats that come from China, don't know which one, killed my boss's mother's little dog. From what I heard a few dogs have died from those. The dog started some internal bleeding that they couldn't stop I guess. Her other little beagle started to get sick as well but they saved her.

That was what scared us so bad, not that we were giving treats like that, but that he started bleeding bad right after that little dog died, and they really didn't know for sure what killed it.

We may have to go with cooking our own dog food as well. For right now we are going to go with leaving out the fish for a few days, as that is the one thing in common that we were feeding him when he got sick. I know some dog mushers feed their dogs raw fish, but I cook mine for him. But because I don't give him a lot each time it stays in the fridge after cooking for maybe a week before it's gone. Don't know if it has started to go bad by then or not. You wouldn't think that in that length of time it would make an animal sick but who knows?

Thanks for the input Steve. We'll look into the Beef Knees as well, and will tell our son as he has a dachshund that has perpetual bad breath......lol. Who carries Beef Knees?

I get mine from Amazon... Bad breath is a sign they may have gum disease, at least that is what the vet said.

http://www.amazon.com/HDP-Knee-Caps-.../dp/B003WH04CM
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

4mer - I don't know if 3bears is in your area... they often carry soup bones - knees, knuckles, etc...

Sorry to hear about your boy. It is no fun when they are sick and we can't figure out why. Do you think he is getting access to non dog food items when he goes out or ?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Add probiotics for at least a couple months (if not for the rest of the dog's life). The best thing for GI issues is probiotics. I had issues with my lab a couple times and we ran her through a couple weeks of antibiotics (Augmentin) to kill all the bacteria in her gut while running a couple months of probiotics to put in the good bacteria that is needed. Worked like a champ. Vet said they can get a break out of bad bacteria in their gut which over powers the good stuff, which causes the diarrhea.

I now give my dogs Dinovite so they are continuously getting probiotics along with the Omegas and other vital nutrients. Seems to be working, though the stuff isn't cheap either.

As for the teeth, you're best bet is to get a dog tooth brush and paste kit. They carry them at Cadre and Petco and such. At least once a week, manually brush fido's teeth. In between, greenies dental chews.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Oh...!!! ok....I didn't know he was talking about actual beef knees.......as in a cows knee caps.......lol. Was thinking it was another brand of a packaged chew product of some sort.....lol.

I'm sure he'll love chewing on an actual cow...!!!

21st Century Essential Pet Probiotics is what we give our yellow lab (10 yrs old next month) when his digestive tract gets out of whack (diarrhea). A 90 ct bottle is available at Pet Smart, but I forget the cost. 1 capsule per 25 lbs dog weight, but we under dosed by about half.

Our vet told us that diarrhea is one of the few things that you should jump in the car and bring the dog to a vet. We usually don't panic until the 2nd day.

We learned early on that those super high protein (up close to the 30% mark), such as Blue Buffalo, always caused gas and diarrhea. I think we're using Nutro Max, after going through several others-all of them lower in protein.

Our vet told us rice, especially brown rice, is a good, "neutral" filler in that you can use it to add bulk to the food, which adds to that "full stomach" feeling, without making the food too rich or causing weight gain. I'm not sure it has any effect on diarrhea.

One thing to think about it, and I'm sure your vet already mentioned it, is it may be possible, even likely, that your dog ate something solid (lego pieces in my dog's case) that he is now digesting which is tearing at his intestines and casing the bleeding you're seeing. I'm sure your vet felt and groped all around the dog's stomach, but a small piece may have avoided detection in that manner.

Might be a good idea to give DR. Joe Grohs @ Alaska Equine and small animal clinic a call.

PCnAK

I don't like the sound of constant blood in the stool. Rice and chicken is fine, but the blood is worrisome. Is it on the stool? Or in it? I'd get a second opinion on this perhaps. And the Grohs clinic is a good one. And if you palpate the gut looking for obstructions be very careful not to cause further trauma to the gut. It's easy to do.

As for treats to clean the teeth...the only thing I'll give my Brittanys are the clean white cow "Knuckles." I've been doing this for a great many years without problem and started it at the advice of my past breeder, and renowned Vet at UC Davis.

Best of luck.

We had a nasty bug run through our dogs a few months ago. I noticed the bloody stool when the first one had it. We took him right to the vet and he let loose right on the vets floor, it looked like pure blood. We freaked out but the vet said it was normal with stomach issues. She said it was the stomach lining shedding. Our dog was pretty dehydrated so he stayed the night at the vet and was fine the next day. We knew what to expect with the other two so we extra hydrated them at the first sign of illness.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    We learned early on that those super high protein (up close to the 30% mark), such as Blue Buffalo, always caused gas and diarrhea.
    Dog has been fine since that one day. I looked on the bag and it says 24% crude protein. So with me adding the salmon all the time it no doubt took it up over 30%. I stopped giving him the fish and he has eaten it dry and hasn't had any problem after that. We'll for sure keep an eye on him.

Thanks.....

Glad to hear 4mer - having sick family members is no fun - of the two legged, or four legged variety.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

My pup that I have now had the diarrhea that would come and go and also had blood in her poop. It would come and go I finally took her to the vet and had her tested he gave her antibiotics to treat geardiah (or however you spell beaver fever) cleared her right up and no more problems

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    My pup that I have now had the diarrhea that would come and go and also had blood in her poop. It would come and go I finally took her to the vet and had her tested he gave her antibiotics to treat geardiah (or however you spell beaver fever) cleared her right up and no more problems
    That's interesting.....I didn't think animals could catch giardia.....

So far so good with my dog "Sunny". He's eating the food dry but obviously doesn't like it as much and may go a full 24 hours without eating. But he's always been like that. Originally when I put the salmon in with his food I was only putting a small amount to add flavor. This last time, before he got sick, I was putting in quite a bit more. That may have made it too high in protein and caused the problem. I may add salmon again, but only in very small amounts maybe just once or twice a week and see how he handles that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's interesting.....I didn't think animals could catch giardia.....

So far so good with my dog "Sunny". He's eating the food dry but obviously doesn't like it as much and may go a full 24 hours without eating. But he's always been like that. Originally when I put the salmon in with his food I was only putting a small amount to add flavor. This last time, before he got sick, I was putting in quite a bit more. That may have made it too high in protein and caused the problem. I may add salmon again, but only in very small amounts maybe just once or twice a week and see how he handles that.
    He said it was actually fairly common. So much so that when I called and told him what was going on that was his first guess. Kimber's appetite was still strong though she just had bloody turds.
    Hopefully you can find out what's going on duck season is just a few (198) days away

Hopefully you can find out what's going on duck season is just a few (198) days away
    Not for you I see....well at least for geese anyway. What is it.......20 some odd days?

You lucky dog...!!!

Seems an odd time for a goose season to me. Has it always been that way back there...???

Yeah about 20 days. I've been going down there the last few years hunting the spring conservation snow goose season. No limit no plug lots of birds. It's a great time

Yeah about 20 days. I've been going down there the last few years hunting the spring conservation snow goose season. No limit no plug lots of birds. It's a great time
    Oh that's right.....I remember you saying that now. I was supposed to get some wings from you that I never did........lol