Thread: gps coverage problem

Default gps coverage problem

Any recommendations on what I can do to identify my GPS coverage problem. I have a Garmin 188c. Seems like at least once on every trip I loose coverage for hours on end. What makes no sense is that I can turn on my handheld and pick up 1/2 dozen satellites with in seconds.

So what gives with my 188c. I do have an external mounted reciever atennea.

Any ideas?

I have the 182 version, with internal antenna. I only lose signal in the tightest spots, where gps isn't an effective navigation tool anyhow.

So I suspect it's something in the antenna, or the antenna cable.

Default My guess too

I'd be suspicious of the equipment - antenna or its connections.

Default Look for updates

If you haven't already done so, I'd go to the Garmin website and download any updates they have to your GPSs software. That might be a cheap and easy remedy to your problem.

Default garmin updates

Good to go... found the ant. connection at the rear of the display had little or no solder. Pulled it apart, soldered it and it works fine now... (so far anyway...)

As for the Garmin updates. I looked them over on line and finally settled on this.. I called Garmin and they took a $50 deposit, mailed me a chip with the latest upgrades and said I can keep the chip for the $50 deposit or return it and they'll refund the money...

I got the chip yesterday, uploaded it and everything seems to be working great.

Thanks for the insights and suggestions.

Default vhf maybe

If it happens again, turn off your vhf radio and see if that changes anything. I had one once that knocked out my gps signal. Every time I'd key the mic on my radio the gps would lose signal until I turned everything off and restarted. Took forever to diagnos. It took my handheld gps out too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    As for the Garmin updates. I looked them over on line and finally settled on this.. I called Garmin and they took a $50 deposit, mailed me a chip with the latest upgrades and said I can keep the chip for the $50 deposit or return it and they'll refund the money...
    Next time you need a Garmin update, go see Northern Lights Avionics at Merrill Field ~ They downloaded the update right to my Garmin 238 GPS while I waited & only charged me $20.

Default problem fixed

I ran the unit for a solid 13 hours... never lost coverage, not even for a second.

The antenna connector was the problem... Now she's fixed.

akdeweyj - thanks for the tip