Thread: Anchoring wolf traps

Default Anchoring wolf traps

I wanted to get some input about what the best wolf trap anchors are. I have used your basic six to eight foot green tree drags but I have also seen where people use a rebar or similar trail grapple. Is a grapple a good choice for wolves? I have heard that a wolf will tend to head to the nearest trees when caught. Would appreciate some feedback thanks.

Rebar made into a grapple works, or we sometimes use a Dewalt cordless drill and a 12" hex head deck screw or a thin long lag bolt and rattle it right into the frozen ground/tundra.

Mountaintrekker

Most of my wolf gear is on grapples. I have some two pronged ones that Wilbur Brothers makes here in Fairbanks. They've work fine so far. I also use 10 feet of heavy chain. Helps out with getting them tangled up quicker. I use the grapple drags in locations where there isn't a good solid tree to anchor to or in places where I want catches to hopefully move away from the trail and out of sight to other trail users. Grapples also are easier to hide when making sets that are in wide open areas.