Thread: Headed north

Default Headed north

So Im going north. Moving to delta junction. I am excited but at the same time I hear the salmon fishing is a little tougher to do up there. I am a salmon junkie. Can anyone give me a little info on the area? What type of drive times am I looking at until I start getting into salmon again? On my last drive up I noticed the gulkana didn't seem too far. Ive heard good things but dont know much.

Also what about the drive to salt fishing from there? Valdez I guess would be the closest option. Mostly fished out of seward and homer the last few years.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Salmon fishing here in Delta sux!......A big run of silvers in Delta Clearwater but they are too far gone for me and usually timing coincides with hunting.

125 miles to Gulkana River and 265 miles to Valdez.......

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Salmon fishing here in Delta sux!......A big run of silvers in Delta Clearwater but they are too far gone for me and usually timing coincides with hunting.

125 miles to Gulkana River and 265 miles to Valdez.......
    Hows the fishing on the Gulkana for salmon? I've heard great things about the grayling and trout. Is it a float only river? If so I might have to invest in a raft or something of the sort.

265 to Valdez isn't bad. Its 240 to Homer so that I can handle. Not familiar with the water and weather out there but where theres the will theres an adventure.

check the regs it is float only in the upper part , Paxton lake down to close to near to the fork in the river, don't know how far up the west branch you can go now , but an old friend of mine went to the lake's by a motor powered canoe an back to Sourdough, there are some Rainbows but the graylong is the most productive I have been told , but yes ther are rainbow, as well as some steel head, do some recurch
    SID

Kultina isa better option for salmon than Gulkana IMHO.Tonsina also has limited roadside accessible salmon fishing.

Dont ignore themany lakes around your new home. welcome to the neighborhood.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Kultina isa better option for salmon than Gulkana IMHO.Tonsina also has limited roadside accessible salmon fishing.

Dont ignore themany lakes around your new home. welcome to the neighborhood.
    I know there is a ton of good lakes and I am looking forward to getting my son out on them. I am personally not a huge lake fisherman though unless I have my boy with me.

I know Ill figure it out. Just excited and want to ask some questions. Ill be up in 2 weeks. Packing the house now then it will be out to explore on my free days.

I've spent almost every year for the last 20 on the gulkana, its still good, though spotty for kings, the reds are still around though much tougher to catch. plenty of bows....good luck on steelies in the gulkana!

Once you hit glennallen there's a number of rivers with salmon in them.........

salt would be valdez.

Don't over look the lakes, theres a couple with some mighty fine bows! Think winter and I'm not talking about quartz though it will be good again hopefully sooner than later!