Thread: Burbot tip-ups during mid-day

Default Burbot tip-ups during mid-day

I know burbot are mostly caught at night using tip-ups or set-lines in shallow water, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using tip-ups for them in the middle of the day before. And if so, what depth seems to work best during mid-day?

Fish them in the same spots. We caught 2 burbut a few weeks ago in the middle of the day. As we get more into spring time, the night burbut thing starts to go away. In fact if you get lucky mid March to mid April you will drill a hole right above their spawing beds and it will look like a huge mass of snakes sworming. They become very agressive and fishing can be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Fish them in the same spots. We caught 2 burbut a few weeks ago in the middle of the day. As we get more into spring time, the night burbut thing starts to go away. In fact if you get lucky mid March to mid April you will drill a hole right above their spawing beds and it will look like a huge mass of snakes sworming. They become very agressive and fishing can be a blast!
    That's awesome Steve! I would love to see that through the ice fishing hole sometime! When I finally get my cabin built, you are welcome to come out and stay at our place some time and come fishing with us. Thanks for the report bro.

One thing you may notice is burbot migrate from one area to another over the course of winter. For many years we fished Lake Louise, and in December, January, and February we fished in a location with great success, when they spawn they move to another location, and the original place sucks. This will differ from lake to lake though.
    It is pretty easy fishing, and you can catch some during the day, but a few hours after darkness, falls, or before the sun rises it can be quite entertaining. I always fish in under 10' for best success
    Good luck, we treasure the meat from them, I wish there were more of them closer.