Thread: Fur Rondy fur auction

Default Fur Rondy fur auction

If you are planning on attending any of the fur auctions at Fur Rondy, with the intention of buying a mountable skin - please, please, please seek the advice of your taxidermist before going (if you don't already know what to look for)

There are many hides and skins sold at the auction that are not mountable for taxidermy purposes. I think the auctioneer tries to tell folks if something is 'taxidermy quality' - but that doesn't necessarily mean it will make a good mount. Lots of mistakes can be fixed - some cannot. Hides that have already been tanned should be 'questioned' - regarding how long ago they were tanned and who tanned them. If you buy a tanned hide at the auction, make sure you can find this out. Recently worked on a phenomenal wolverine that had been bought at the auction as a tanned pelt. It completely fell apart when rehydrated for mounting. The quality of the animal was exquisite - but it is now relegated to being a wall hanger.

Generally - hides for mounting should not have any cuts in the corner of the eyes, should have plenty of inner lip, plenty of inner nose cartilage, and long inner 'ear butts' with cartilage intact - cut off where the ear canal attaches to the skull.

Feet should be skinned so that they are open inside like a glove, or a mitten.

It is better to go to an event like this prepared with enough knowledge to know what you need for taxidermy purposes.

If you are looking for a bear for a rug - make sure to inspect the hide for rubs, (guard hair rubs or rubs to the skin), claws, damage to the feet and face. Last year when I went to the bear hide auction, I looked carefully at all of the hides... There were 3-4 brown/grizzlies with decent hair that were mountable. None of the sheep was mountable. some of the black bears were mountable.

Go informed!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

So from what you say if somebody wants to have one mounted or rugged it sounds like the best thing would be to buy an untanned wolverine with all toes, etc since even you could not tell the tanned one was not ok until you wet it down? A tanned one would be good to go for a wall hanger?

Most likely correct - unless there was some kind of guarantee on mountability of a hide or the auctioneer states specifically how old the tan is...You might be able to inquire about the age of tanning during the viewing/inspection process, too...It is just a good idea to be as informed as possible.
    Taxidermy IS art!

This info is spot on. Though there are very few tanned furs auctioned off but even with the dried hides, people OFTEN assume that all hides are mountable and many are surprised when they didn't look close enough that feet were removed. I leave ALL feet on cats, K9's, & wolverine untill I know how they will be sold. Thanks Juli for the heads up!

You know Steve, the more I think about it, the more I bet that fella bought the wolverine at fur rondy, but not at the auction. I don't recall seeing any tanned hides there last year... although I did not attend both auctions, only the ADFG hide and horn auction.

At any rate, it doesn't change the fact that if you are buying a tanned hide (anywhere or from anyone) for taxidermy, make sure you know how old the tan is, who tanned it, and if the animal was skinned specifically for taxidermy.

Same for dried hides - had a customer bring me a dried beaver hide that they had had for 15 yrs... just stretched/dried and left in the garage. I told them there was no way I could guarantee tanning on a dried skin of that age and suggested they would be better off buying an already tanned beaver pelt.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Pretty much all the auction critters are salted, no guarantee everything is their. I mount a few Lynx and Wolverines for folks that buy at fur ronde every year. I suggest they (get them tanned) only, when back from tanning I contact them and give them options after inspecting a fresh tanned hide. Very seldom do they just remain tan. Lots of Lynx get rugged. Same with wolverines. Or life sized.

Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Hey Juli or Hoytguy, what is the best method of cleaning the fur on a dried wolf that has been a wall hanger for a couple of years? The fur has dust, and household grime on it..

Air compressor first - then a cloth or paper towel dampened with lacquer thinner - rubbing it on in the direction of the hair. Then, if you want a light coat of lemon pledge rubbed in... and a final blow out with the air compressor.

I would guess it is the top of the fur that is mostly dirty..so you shouldn't have to get down to the skin.

That's how I would go about it.
    Taxidermy IS art!

An OPEN CELL Sponge will remove the stuck on stuff but a Compressor at 100 PSI will be best.

The more crap you put on the fur, the more dust will accumulate or stick to it.

You can use Cowboy Magic which is a hair SHINER but I wouldn't use anything else.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll break the compressure out tonight. Have a buddy that spreys some kind of hair shiner on his furs before he sends them into the big auctions and he always gets top dollar..