Thread: Personal information

Default Personal information

Recently in our annual "sheep wars" rash of threads, some personal comments were directed at me, together with accusations and attributions of a personal nature. In a forum this size we expect to see some of that kind of sniping now and then, as anyone with access to a computer has the capability of expressing themselves on this site. Though we try to watch that sort of thing, we make an effort to preserve a climate of diverse opinions. We certainly do not censor posts for accuracy, nor do we expect folks to toe some party line with respect to the issues that face us as a people interested in the Alaska outdoors. So we have never taken a heavy-handed approach in our moderation of these forums.

On the other hand, we do not allow posts that are intended to insult, demean or otherwise attack other members. I have recently allowed some posts to stand which were in violation of our rules. If they had been directed at any other member besides myself, I would have dealt with them immediately, however in this case I was attempting to allow people to vent a little, and it just went too far.

I do not generally consider it to be anyone else's business what any of us do for a living, how much money we make from our various activities, or other things of a personal nature. And when posts start to intrude in those areas, they are usually deleted. In this instance I considered answering accusations concerning how much money I make or stand to make from my position on guided sheep hunts, but I realized that the answer would make no difference to the accuser. But for those who may have been influenced by some of this rhetoric, I will reveal that I have not guided a sheep hunter in close to ten years, and when I did, I was working for a very respected outfit who takes a very conservative number of hunters each year. If I were so inclined, I have an open-ended job opportunity with them, but for various reasons I am not interested at this time. In short, I stand to gain absolutely nothing from taking the position I currently take with respect to the guiding profession. Although I have GMU 23 on my license, I have never guided a sheep hunter there, nor have I ever hunted sheep in the Brooks Range on a personal or a professional basis.

I don't know if that makes any difference to anyone, but there it is. If you find the information of value, great.

The offending posts have been deleted and I think the situation is now under control. I apologize for any inconvenience to anyone who has had to endure this rhetoric, however it finally got to the point where we will no longer tolerate it.

Back to our regular programming...
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-06-2015 at 19:32. Reason: clarification
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We have regular programming?! Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This site is unscripted....before a studio audience.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    This site is unscripted....before a studio audience.
    So why are so many of the management threads perpetual reruns?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The comments are unscripted.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

There is a CURE for that..........Start threads on subjects that are of interest to you.......

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So why are so many of the management threads perpetual reruns?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There is a CURE for that..........Start threads on subjects that are of interest to you.......
    The subject of management is interesting. What's the CURE for the inane ad nauseam arguments over allocation?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hey.........The draw results are out!!!! You can tell it's Feb. in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The subject of management is interesting. What's the CURE for the inane ad nauseam arguments over allocation?
    You probably already know the answer to this one. Here are some bullet points:

1. Patience. Some folks are new here and may not have discussed this issue on our site. The rousing discussion you had about it two weeks ago? He may not even be aware of it if he came in last week.

2. Patience. Some people will bang their favorite drum until the break the sticks or rip a hole in the drum. They like the sound of it. Just be patient with them; they probably have a lot of other great stuff to offer and you'll never know it if you don't hang in there with them. Every person has something good about them.

3. Skip the threads that get your blood boiling.

4. Answer the legitimate questions calmly, with legitimate answers. Even when you are needlessly attacked. If the person is just making trouble, don't fan the flame by responding.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You probably already know the answer to this one. Here are some bullet points:

1. Patience. Some folks are new here and may not have discussed this issue on our site. The rousing discussion you had about it two weeks ago? He may not even be aware of it if he came in last week.

2. Patience. Some people will bang their favorite drum until the break the sticks or rip a hole in the drum. They like the sound of it. Just be patient with them; they probably have a lot of other great stuff to offer and you'll never know it if you don't hang in there with them. Every person has something good about them.

3. Skip the threads that get your blood boiling.

4. Answer the legitimate questions calmly, with legitimate answers. Even when you are needlessly attacked. If the person is just making trouble, don't fan the flame by responding.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Mike, to do this job, I'd probably have to say that you have the patience of a Saint...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!