Thread: Suggestions for Light Weight Hip Boots for Tundra Hunt

Default Suggestions for Light Weight Hip Boots for Tundra Hunt

I am on the hunt for a good pair of hip boots for our upcoming Caribou Hunt next year. Any thoughts on the NEO overboot hip boot or any other brands?

NEOS River Trekkers....good stuff.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Are you sure you need hip boots? Walking and moving around in hips can be a pain. A pair of extra toughs, and if you need them a pair of rain pants(can take them off easily). That's just how I'd go... if you need the hip boots, there are some lightweight pairs available. If you are not needing to walk in water, the extra toughs will be much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    NEOS River Trekkers....good stuff.
    Great stuff. I used the normal Lacrosse hip waders on my first hunt. I used the Neos River Trekkers on my second one, and would never go back.

I'm wary of planning hunts that require hip boots. There is certainly a place for them, but the idea of walking through moving water that is deeper than my knees in a shallow section with hipboots on and a heavy pack and no life vest always makes me nervous. When I have occasionally had to cross rivers such as that, I just bring a pair of running shoes, I take my pants and boots off, put my running shoes on and cross. Running shoes are lighter and if I go for a swim without a PFD I will be very glad to not have hipboots on.

Perhaps if I was not walking very far and was hunting very wet tundra I would wear something like hipboots. I don't know. But, I won't use them to cross a river of any sort with a backpack.

My choices are either NEOS or my Koflach with glacier socks depending on what and where I am hunting. Last 3 years bear hunting it has been the Koflach with glacier socks. I did loan my NEOS this last bear hunt to my buddy and now he is getting his own.

Randy

every guide I know (with the exception of one) uses Lacrosse ankle fit boots. He uses goretex waders. A good fitting ankle fit boot with the tops rolled down below the knee are every bit as comfortable as xtratuffs, which I wear all summer om the boat.

What time of year are you planning your hunt? What general area? If it's going to be done later in the season, or after it's cooled down a bit, or rainy weather is possible, I'd forget the hip boots and bring some light weight "breathable" waders with lace up over-shoes. They are much more comfortable to hike around in as long as it's not too warm, WHEN they do get damp or wet inside it's easy to turn them inside out and dry them quickly. Plus all you need to go along with them is a rain jacket (Helly Hanson Impertech) and you'll be bomb proof, your butt won't wet get when you sit down on some boggy spot. Once hip boots get wet inside they'll pretty much stay wet for the duration of the trip and rain water will run down your jacket into your hip boots.