Thread: garmin vs hummingbird vs lowrance

Question garmin vs hummingbird vs lowrance

Anybody got any input on quality between 10" or 12" versions of depthfinders/chartplotters. Have an older hummingbird now that i like but the picture looks awfully good on the garmins at bass pro. Torn between the hummingbird ion crosstoutch & the lowrance but have no experience here in alabama with the garmins.

Furuno beats them all when it comes to fishfinders.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Furuno is good, but I think lowrance and garmin are good too.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have been running the Lowrance units for several years and have been pretty satisified with them until you need customer service. I have four Lowrance units in all and when I have trouble with them I will be replacing them with Furuno on fish finders and a possible Garman GPS or chartploter. You can spend hours on the phone trying to talk to Lowrance if you need something. There customer service has hit rock bottom.

Furuno, not familiar with them down south here, but will research them. Thanks for your input. If i'm going to spend 3-4 grand i want to make the right decision.

if your going to spend 3-4 grand, you better look at furuno, simrad, Raytheon......

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Furuno is good, but I think lowrance and garmin are good too.
    Furuno is big "down south" with the offshore/inshore/saltwater/cruising guys. They're a very reputable/high end manufacturer. Sounds to me like you're more of a freshwater/bass fisherman person (as I was growing up "down south").

If you're new to AK and planning on running in the salt, I suggest you start asking about the quality of the maps and charts and comparing that. I've always liked Lowrance products, currently have an ancient Humminbird, but I stay in calm, shallow, landlocked water.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Furuno is big "down south" with the offshore/inshore/saltwater/cruising guys. They're a very reputable/high end manufacturer. Sounds to me like you're more of a freshwater/bass fisherman person (as I was growing up "down south").

If you're new to AK and planning on running in the salt, I suggest you start asking about the quality of the maps and charts and comparing that. I've always liked Lowrance products, currently have an ancient Humminbird, but I stay in calm, shallow, landlocked water.
    Hmm, not sure what to say about this post. I have never fished for bass in my life. I have a saltwater boat, do you? I fish saltwater most months of the year here in AK. Yes furuno is good, and I think garmin is making good progress in the sonar side as well.

Hmm, not sure what to say about this post. I have never fished for bass in my life. I have a saltwater boat, do you? I fish saltwater most months of the year here in AK. Yes furuno is good, and I think garmin is making good progress in the sonar side as well.
    Hmm, not sure what to say about your not being sure what to say about my post. My post wasn't directed at you. The OP (mcall) commented that a.) he was from down south and b.) he was unfamiliar with the Furuno brand. I made an assumption that he was a freshwater fisherman. (I've never seen a Furuno product on a bass boat before.) So I made a comment that, in certain circles, Furuno has a god following. Nothing more.

No, I don't own (nor desire to own) a saltwater boat. I have installed plenty of electronics on saltwater boats working at a marina, and I sold plenty of them when I worked at West Marine. (eons ago-1990's) Still not sure what to say about your post.

Edit: CORRECTION!!! I just realized my error. I inadvertently rpelied with quote to your comment, when I intended to reply to the op's post. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hmm, not sure what to say about your not being sure what to say about my post. My post wasn't directed at you. The OP (mcall) commented that a.) he was from down south and b.) he was unfamiliar with the Furuno brand. I made an assumption that he was a freshwater fisherman. (I've never seen a Furuno product on a bass boat before.) So I made a comment that, in certain circles, Furuno has a god following. Nothing more.

No, I don't own (nor desire to own) a saltwater boat. I have installed plenty of electronics on saltwater boats working at a marina, and I sold plenty of them when I worked at West Marine. (eons ago-1990's) Still not sure what to say about your post.

Edit: CORRECTION!!! I just realized my error. I inadvertently rpelied with quote to your comment, when I intended to reply to the op's post. I apologize.
    Apology accepted. I was confused by you quoting my statement and accusing me of being a freshwater bass fisherman

...accusing me of being a freshwater bass fisherman
    LOL. You say that like it's a bad thing. =)

I just got "educated" over the last couple of months on an assortment of boats off the east coast. Been a Lawrence fan forever, and after days with Garmin and Humminbird, I was REALLY missing my Lawrence back home. Among those three the Lawrence was hands down winner. Then I spent time on a friend's 60' Spencer. He had top-end Furuno. Now I've got SERIOUS fathometer envy, and my Lawrence is looking pretty pitiful.

I have an older Garmin 4210 that I recently upgraded the sonar module from a GSD22 to a GSD24. The 22 was ok but the 24 is fantastic by comparison. I like the Garmin Bluecharts G2 vision chip as well. If I was in the market to replace it I would either get the newer touchscreen Garmin model and a GSD26 spread spectrum sonar or do some more research on the Furuno and Simrad spread spectrum offerings.

I disagree with the touch screen after owning a garmin 740. Picture and all was great. I really liked the unit but quickly grew to hate the touchscreen. I'm a smartphone and tablet addict so I am not anti touchscreen at all. Boat in the boat it becomes an issue. First, it's really tough often times to hit just the right places. A button is much simplier. Second, if you have a wet finger or a leaky soft top the screen becomes useless other than to view it. You have to try to get it wiped dry before it will accept your touch for any inputs. And last, while running in choppy water it becomes next to impossible to hit the target you are after. My next unit will be a Garmin 840xs with real buttons. That is unless someone can talk me into a furuno unit for about the same money. Love the simple operation of garmins. And the outstanding Gps functions. But I keep reading that Furuno is the one to beat for a outstanding depthfinder. Maybe it's time for me to change my ways?

sorry for slow response,been away from office. I appreciate the input. I come to this site (from alabama) because of the input on boating & maint. I run a sea ark predator & have learned alot about sportjets from this site. I do fish freshwater for stripers , catfish & crappie. I go to Louisiana & fish the salt marshes for redfish. I like the side & down imaging fishfinders for structure identification & want a good gps chart map for navigating new waters & night driving. I was leaning towards hummingbird but the picture on the garmins was nice. Going to research the simrad,reytheon etc... I'll let yall know when i've got more questions.

Had hummingbird in the past, would not recommend it at all.
    Currently run a touch screen 5212 Garmin and love it.
    Love the touch screen, never had any issues or complaints. Easy to use.
    BK