Thread: Retort 4 Months Later

Default Retort 4 Months Later

Last Nov. I did my first retort of moose stew. I filled my pressure cooker with pouches standing on end. Not laying flat.
    After cooking 75 minutes at 10psi I let the cooker cool overnight.
    A couple pouches burst.
    All the pouches ended up with a lot of creases. I smoothed them out the best I could.
    They were all dry stored in a cardboard box.

The other day I took a look at all the pouches and a few more leaked.
    Small pin holes in a crease.

The pouches you buy in the store are not creased.
    Any ideas on keeping the pouches smooth?
    Ken (Tiderunner)

I think that is why the home retort folks recommend using a double seal bar or a super wide seal. You also need to have a high wattage bar to work with retort bags. If your retort bags are not getting completely melted together on the seal then you need to check with the maker of your unit to see if there are upgrades.

The only way I have found to not have creases in my vac bag seals is to not have much in the bag to start with. My bags are half full at most with something solid. Anytime I have tried to vac bag a liquid it has only worked with less than half full.

the food pouches in the store use completely different commerical grade equipment and a slightly different process than what is availble to us at home.

The new leaks are not in the seal.
    A friend just called and said try not filling to capacity.
    He also said try not smoothing them out. Just leave them wrinkled.

I got mine a couple of years ago. Got the heavy duty bags and the double bar. I still can't get the retorts
    to work property. I have waisted a lot of food trying. Usually blow the seals no matter how I load the bags or the pressure, or the amount of product in the bags. Wish there was some place to go and see how it is done properly.