Thread: Wolf/coyote traps and snares descenting

Default Wolf/coyote traps and snares descenting

I'm sure this has been covered to some extent before. I have a few wolf traps hanging in the fresh air the last few months outside. Is this good enough as far as descenting them for wolf? Also have some snares that have been in a box for a long time in the garage. Neither the traps nor snares have been dyed or anything. I've heard stories of dipping in gasoline etc. I can't see how they couldn't smell petro products. Also heard of ' painting' snares etc white.
    Keeping it simple, can someone give me a quik brush up on what I need to do to ready these traps/ snares for duty? I have some excellent spots scouted for some sets.
    Ive trapped many moons ago but not for smart dogs. Thanks!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Hey cod, take those snares and coil them up and boil in a pot for 45 minutes along with 1/2 cup baking soda. By boiling them you will get any foreign scents off and the baking soda should give them a dull grey color. Only handle them with clean gloves and store in a clean bag or container. I keep mine in a heavy contractor garbage bag. As for the traps, would hate to assume that they are scent free so boil them up too. I use a cheap wash tub like they sell at True Value and use my turkey fryer burner. Throw in a few spruce and alder branches to help dye and help with a natrual scent. Again, once boiled, handle with care and hang them in a tree or away from stinky stuff. Watch setting them in the line of smoke or dryer vents. Good luck with the moose munchers!

Thanks much. Appreciate the tips.
    Was wondering... 'Clean gloves'?? Green Apes that have been washed? Sprayed with a descenter like hunters use?

When I used to trap wolves, scent free was critical to me. I wore beaver trapping gloves - the ones that go way up your arm. I stored them in a new clean garbage bag with a bunch of branches and such in it. Now with scent killer sprays being available, I would consider that too - on my gloves and self, if I was trapping.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I often wondered about spraying snares, traps, gloves, and anything associated with the area and items used at the trap site. I would think one could spray things right in place. These new descenters should be pretty good by now I would think. Anyone incorporate their use?

Yea I use Green Apes. I just keep a brand new pair clean and use them till they start to fall apart or gst a build up of rust or sap. I keep the m sealed in a ziplock. Always have a few pairs, all in seperate bags. Not sure I am sold on the de scent stuff. Just keep yourself and gear clean and you'll be fine. That includeds no spitting, chewing or peeing anywhere near your sets for K9's!

Cat trappers spray paint snares but I would do that for a canine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

SOME cat trappers paint snares but most do not. In fact it does not icrease catch #'s. Cats have absolutly have no issue being funnelled, pinched or direct into snares. K9's are completly different but a cat will always take the path of lease resistance and many times purposely stick the head into a loop. I'll try to dig up some pics of cats (many) I have snared that have actually stuck their head thru and just sat down and died. They choke out VERY easily.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I was not referring to spray 'paint'. Was referring to the newest 'descenters' that are on the market. My thoughts were towards using them on site while setting traps/snares in the field. If they work on clothing, why not on hardware? You could make your set and before covering it or leaving it, give it a few squirts from the descent bottle and eliminate any scent left behind. Couldn't hurt. ( or could it?)

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I was not referring to spray 'paint'. Was referring to the newest 'descenters' that are on the market. My thoughts were towards using them on site while setting traps/snares in the field. If they work on clothing, why not on hardware? You could make your set and before covering it or leaving it, give it a few squirts from the descent bottle and eliminate any scent left behind. Couldn't hurt. ( or could it?)
    A few thoughts:

I sprayed my game cameras and signs at my bait site last spring and the Bears didn't touch them.

Id be concerned about the spray icing snares in the winter, easy enough to test.

I do know cat trappers who spray paint their snares so cats don't get distracted by them, or play with them.