Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA Ramp checks

Default FAA Ramp checks

Has anyone else ever wondered what would happen if you were approached for a ramp check but before the FAA agent was able to identify themselves or even said they were conducting a ramp check you bolted and ran.

Well, since you weren't "operating an aircraft", I guess you're home free - - - unless the FAR wallah thought that your running was suspicious and called the harness bulls . . . . .

The scenario would be if you just got out of the plane and were opening a hangar door or doing some post flight activity. If you bolted and ran before you knew he was FAA I would think that would be a valid argument, its not illegal for me to run from a random stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Well, since you weren't "operating an aircraft", I guess you're home free - - - unless the FAR wallah thought that your running was suspicious and called the harness bulls . . . . .

Ha, the mental picture is funny. In what scenario would a person need to run, though?

Reminds me of the joke about two guys fishing when the troopers show up. One guy drops his pole, grabs the fish, and takes off running through the woods. The troopers chase him down and catch him and ask to see his license. He promptly pulls it out and shows it to them. They ask "Why were you running if you had a legal license?". He answers: "my friend didn't".

Just pull out a couple pamphlets, start speaking in tongues and ask the FAA guy if he has a few minutes to talk about Jesus.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Nah, once he has identified himself as FAA you no longer have any legal ground to stand on (I suppose you could claim he never presented credentials but then if you run it gets alot more shakey legally), you need to have minimum english proficiancy to get a licence so you cant even claim you dont speak english. But if they are in civilian clothes and have not identified themselves I can run. I did that with a cop when I was lighting off fireworks and all he said was "hey you" so I bolted, I was able to get rid of the evidence and he admited that he was not wearing the proper uniform and did not identify himself as a cop so as far as I was concerned he was some creep in black clothes at night. I never got a ticket because he could not find any fireworks actually on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Just pull out a couple pamphlets, start speaking in tongues and ask the FAA guy if he has a few minutes to talk about Jesus.

Seems like a lot of work to me, just say 'howdy' and pull out your pilot certificate. I really do not know how many ramp checks I have experienced usually at least two or three a year, they just aren't an issue. Alex, I just about spit up my coffee on your post, that is some funny stuff bringing along pamphlets.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

paladinw94
    That joke is similar to the two guys who were hunting ducks, but never saw any.
    They finally got frustrated and shot a seagull. They defeathered it, cleaned it and roasted over their fire.
    A fish and wildlife trooper happened by and saw all the seagull feathers lying around. He said to them,
    You know it's a federal offense to shoot a seagull, but just out of curiousity what does it taste like/"
    One of the guys piped up and said, "Well, it actually tastes like a cross between spotted owl and bald eagle.

I still have never been ramp checked, I suppose it depends on where you fly. I heard these fly-ins and pancake breakfasts are ripe for ramp checks but I never have been.

Quote Originally Posted by headoutdaplane View Post
    Seems like a lot of work to me, just say 'howdy' and pull out your pilot certificate. I really do not know how many ramp checks I have experienced usually at least two or three a year, they just aren't an issue. Alex, I just about spit up my coffee on your post, that is some funny stuff bringing along pamphlets.

I get one a year... No big deal.... I leave my tin-foil hat at home.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Most people can recognize the FAA guys by the government vehicle they will be driving

Quote Originally Posted by headoutdaplane View Post
    Alex, I just about spit up my coffee on your post, that is some funny stuff bringing along pamphlets.
    What's even funnier is that Ronnie didn't get the joke. lol
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ramp checks are a non event if you have your paper work in order and you have not give the safety inspector a reason to single you out.

Quirky behavior and questional operation of an aircraft in flight and in or around the airport will get their attention and There are many citizens that are not aviation friendly and will not hesitate to call the authorities to report a low flying aircraft,hotdogging,buzzing,etc.

Some people can become a "victim of their own device". One such device is social media. Be careful what you say and choose your words wisely,lest you develop a big Bulls eye on your back...

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    The scenario would be if you just got out of the plane and were opening a hangar door or doing some post flight activity. If you bolted and ran before you knew he was FAA I would think that would be a valid argument, its not illegal for me to run from a random stranger.
    Only you would come up with this scenario. Beside, why run? Have something to run from?
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

LOL, this is really funny, it's 16deg.s and snowing like crazy , I needed something to laugh at. The mental picture of this cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    LOL, this is really funny, it's 16deg.s and snowing like crazy , I needed something to laugh at. The mental picture of this cracks me up.
    He ran so fast through muck and mire, his ankles caught his socks afire, but still that cop kept coming on behind . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Has anyone else ever wondered what would happen if you were approached for a ramp check but before the FAA agent was able to identify themselves or even said they were conducting a ramp check you bolted and ran.
    Really????? For what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Really????? For what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mit, I think this is a stab at humor by rppearso. You guys should cut him some slack every once in awhile. I know rpperso but not personally. He's not a bad guy, just has different ideas than most of you all. I guess you all are so used to jumping him your'e doing it even when he is being satirical. By the way Alaskabliss, I don't believe he's running from anything, he's an engineer and not a criminal type. You should realize that he has something you don't..... a plane! Sorry... couldn't help that one!

LOL, I would not really run from FAA but I have heard that some of them are jerks so it might be funny to make them work (litterally) for their ramp check of the day (they do have a quota). Then after he has ran you down about half a mile you can say oh ok well my paper work is in the plane, shall we head back lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    mit, I think this is a stab at humor by rppearso. You guys should cut him some slack every once in awhile. I know rpperso but not personally. He's not a bad guy, just has different ideas than most of you all. I guess you all are so used to jumping him your'e doing it even when he is being satirical. By the way Alaskabliss, I don't believe he's running from anything, he's an engineer and not a criminal type. You should realize that he has something you don't..... a plane! Sorry... couldn't help that one!

sigh..................
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast