Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davit advice for a new boat...?

Default Davit advice for a new boat...?

Hello all, after seeing several posts from guys like Steve, Spoiled One, DMan and many others, I've started thinking I may need to put some thought into add-ons for my new boat. I'll start by saying that due to a limited budget, I'm not buying anywhere near as sweet as the fine machines some of you all have but I would like to set mine up as best I can. I've ordered a Kingfisher Coastal Express 26, fits my budget and I was down south last year and spent some time in one and really liked it. My question is this: what style/make of davit/crane would work well for this boat?

I would be interested in possibly getting set up like some have where I could lift a dinghy up onto the roof but remember, it's a smaller boat, lighter roof, and according to my doctor, my @$$ doesn't dispense hundies yet.
    Any help is appreciated, go easy though....

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/midco...tal-express-2/

I just purchased an AB 10' 6" Aluminum bottom RIB with a 20HP outboard at the Boat Show in Seattle that complete will weigh around 230lbs. Workskiff boats will be designing my Davit system to lift it on and off the roof of my boat. They said it should be a fairly simple installation and they build their own. I also checked out the Ohlson davit system at the show that came in 3 different sizes.

Check with Alaska Frontier Fabrication, they are local in Wasilla and do good work, or Greatland welding in Palmer. Both shops are good folks and will help you out.

Just remember that with the davit on the side of the boat when you put the weight of the dingy way out there on the end of the davit arm your boat will lay over and you will be pulling the weight uphill so most likely it a 2 person job and watch out once the dingy starts going downhill !! Please don't forget our member fabricator AKmud does great custom work, listens to what you want and is VERY reasonable. Not taking anything away from the other 2 shops mentioned.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

some of my favorites
    ED lifting zodiac.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

this one was done at Frontier Fabricators very nice clean job. Now if i could just talk them into putting a set of controls & steering on top .
    P3250334.jpgP3250337.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Davits

I'm looking to have a davit fabricated for my kingfisher too.
    Search these forums and you will find good examples.
    These pictures were posted here in another thread by Alasgun.

davit3.JPGdavit1.JPG

Deak

Default Davits

Other pictures of same davit and electrodyne puller.

davit4.JPGdavit2.JPG

Thanks very much Potbuilder, HCL, and Redleader. These are the kinds of answers I was looking for. I wonder if this type of thing can be done for a port side application. I have an aft console on my boat right where that setup is in the pictures is. Please keep the answers coming and thanks again.

This is very close to what I imagined. Thanks Deak, so Alasgun originally posted these?

Yes Mike/Alasgun/Master of Metal. I haven't seen him post in awhile. I don't know him just seen these pictures of his work and wanted a similar davit ever since. Heres a post saying he passed the design on to Greatland Welding

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...etal-Passes-On!

(let me know if you have Greatland do one for you. Maybe they would do a deal if we both got one. My boat is similar to yours but older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Yes Mike/Alasgun/Master of Metal. I haven't seen him post in awhile. I don't know him just seen these pictures of his work and wanted a similar davit ever since. Heres a post saying he passed the design on to Greatland Welding

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...etal-Passes-On!

(let me know if you have Greatland do one for you. Maybe they would do a deal if we both got one. My boat is similar to yours but older.)

Got it. I figured at the very least I could chat some people up at the shows coming up next month and in April. I will definitely let you know if I have one done, I like the sound of a possible bulk buy since I'm going to be pretty tapped out this year just buying the boat and other goodies. Thanks for your help.

Can't go wrong with Gary at Greatland, he's awesome.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just remember that with the davit on the side of the boat when you put the weight of the dingy way out there on the end of the davit arm your boat will lay over and you will be pulling the weight uphill so most likely it a 2 person job and watch out once the dingy starts going downhill !! Please don't forget our member fabricator AKmud does great custom work, listens to what you want and is VERY reasonable. Not taking anything away from the other 2 shops mentioned.
    What PB said! My daughter hates it when we deploy "Motor Floater". With full fuel the RHIB weighs a solid 250 pounds. I make sure everyone is on the port side during deployment and retrieval. Here is a pic of Patience laying over a bit. It's enough that things move around on the table.

And a couple more:

Any of the above fabricators could custom build one to suit your needs. I would recommend having tender and lifting bridle there for the build so that you can match the boom length to your tender. My setup is truly a one person operation. If the boom is too long or too short then you will be muscling the skiff around. Kind of silly to spend the cash on a setup that you still have to put your back into. Another thing to think about is all that extra weight you have up on the roof while in the slop. Patience is a heck of a lot heavier than what you will be getting and I can notice that extra weight. Just a few things to think about.

Now how about letting us in on what kind of goodies yours will have? Electronic suite? ESPAR? Tunes? Kegerater?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled One, all great points to consider and I appreciate the advice. Taking the dinghy and stuff there for fitting makes sense. I have no doubt with the recommendations on here that Gary will be able to make something work for me. I'm sure my setup will be lighter than yours which is good for me since my boat is smaller. As far as the boat goes, nothing too special yet. It's coming with the usual, twin merc 115's, a 15 hp kicker, aft station, washdown, porta, etc.

In addition to Davit and probably one of PB's pullers, as far as accessories, I've enjoyed Garmin products on previous boats and was going to go that route but the dealer is throwing in a Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 3 so I'll take it and give it a shot. I'll definitely add Radar later. I'm not sure about an Espar, again on a previous boat I had a Wallas that I really liked so unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm inclined to go that way. And of course there will be a marine audio system so I can blast Steely Dan until my wife is blue in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

Pete, That pic is worth a thousand words, I see another pot puller on the port side (safety puller?), do you just use the davit/crane just for the dingy?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Pete, That pic is worth a thousand words, I see another pot puller on the port side (safety puller?), do you just use the davit/crane just for the dingy?
    Yea, I have the original davit with my Safe-T-Puller on the port side. We built the crane several seasons after the original build. Eventually I will install an attachment point at the midpoint on the crane boom, but this setup is working fine.

Notice my daughter in the kayak? She hates it when the boat lists like this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This is a good thread, lots of food for thought. Not to hijack from archertom, but Our old GlasPly is much narrower than PATIENCE and I can only imagine how tippy it might be with some weight hanging off the side. I am thinking of using a inflatable that is under 100 pounds....its a small boat and is what it is.
    So the question is do I really need a crane/davit to get that on the hardtop?

What is the best location on a smaller boat for a pot puller? Next to the bulkhead? On the gunwale or in the cockpit corner?
    Which side?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

My raft should be close to the same weight as Spoied ones, with my 34'ACB boat I doubt listing will be an issue but after reading this I'm gonna make sure they build it for easy deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    This is a good thread, lots of food for thought. Not to hijack from archertom, but Our old GlasPly is much narrower than PATIENCE and I can only imagine how tippy it might be with some weight hanging off the side. I am thinking of using a inflatable that is under 100 pounds....its a small boat and is what it is.
    So the question is do I really need a crane/davit to get that on the hardtop?

What is the best location on a smaller boat for a pot puller? Next to the bulkhead? On the gunwale or in the cockpit corner?
    Which side?
    Flush mount the hauler on the back of the house. I don't suggest mounting haulers in the stern corners, bad things can happen when you haul backwards.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast