Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun, too many choices

Default New gun, too many choices

On the market for a new rifle and looking to spend upwards of $1800 on the rifle alone. My last rifle was a Savage 116 and it preferomed very well to everything I put it through, however it did start to feel rather heavy as the rifle + scope was probably pushing 8.5 pounds if not more.

Spent the night last night looking up different brands from Remington, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, etc. Looking up youtube videos comparing one rifle to another. Then tonight I wandered on down to Cabelas to see how these rifles all felt in my hands. There I was able to see how the Winchester M70 Weather Warrior felt and seemed to like it fairly well, liking how it was balanced and the gun overall, just didnt like how it didn't have a detachable magazine.

Then I was able to hold and handle a Sako 85 Finnlight, and this one took my interest the most. I liked the feel of the stock, how it felt extremely well balanced and the trigger had absolutely no creep and was very crisp and light feeling.

Is the Sako a bad rifle? Read great reviews about it accuracy wise, with a few complaints that wouldnt seem to bother me. But for the money people reccommended the Kimber, but I've read the horror stories about those on here.

What other options are there?

Looking for a higher end rifle
    300 win mag.
    detachable mag.
    stainless
    sythentic
    prefer it to be fairly lightweight
    max $1800

FWIW:

Recently decided to buy a new top performing varmint rifle.

Of all the choices, purchased a Sako 85.With a set trigger.

Personally, any future rifles of current manufacturing wil be Sako 85s in some config.

You get what you pay for.

Been going through the same mental hand wringing. Tried the Tikka, but it sure is a cheap feeling rifle. Actually found it to be too light. Upgraded to the Sako Finnlight, and like it for the reasons you mentioned. The best would be Weatherby UL RC, but out of my budget; I'd like a Winchester SS Featherweight, but not very light; also check out Forbes, lighter than the Sako and accuracy sounds good.

You guys shop in a totally different market than I do! I'm curious what your after in the hi-grade (mid grade?) market? Is it the higher quality, the heirloom potential or??? Pure curious its, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my Sako Kodiak in 375 H&H. 7STW is correct. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You guys shop in a totally different market than I do! I'm curious what your after in the hi-grade (mid grade?) market? Is it the higher quality, the heirloom potential or??? Pure curious its, thanks!

High end for me is a gun that's pushing $2000. To you that may not be high end, but I don't ever seem myself spending much more in the foreseeable future. My last gun was the Savage. Cost me $1000 ish with the scope and rifle. For me then that was a lot. Now this next gun I plan to have for a very long time and decided to get something nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    What other options are there?

Looking for a higher end rifle
    300 win mag.
    detachable mag.
    stainless
    sythentic
    prefer it to be fairly lightweight
    max $1800
    I picked up a Nosler M48 a number of years ago...best investment in a rifle I ever bought. It doesn't have a detachable mag but meets the other criteria. The only other things that fit the bill are a Finnlight or an X-Bolt with a detachable mag...and there's not a thing wrong with either of those.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

7stw, can you tell us more about the sako you bought. I am interested in the stainless varmint rifle, which sounds like what you got.

The Sako Greywolf is high on my list for 'next new rifle'.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Judging by the High Prices, "High End" guns are plentiful at the last several gun shows I've attended.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I picked up the 85 Varmint Laminate in 22-250.24" stainless fluted barrel .Weighs about 8.5lbs sans scope.Plan to put a Varix3 6.5X20 AO up top in Leupold mounts.

Been too cold for load development yet, but any chuck or dog I see this season will be in serious jeopardy.

To the OP what is it about a detachable mag that you want/like? Personally I've tried to stay away from them. Just something else I have to keep track of have a spare and could possible lose in the field.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

7stw, that is the sako i have been considering. Never see them around local gun shops. I would like to see the one you have either at the range or elsewhere.
    My number is 223-8615 if you're in anchorage call or text
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    High end for me is a gun that's pushing $2000. To you that may not be high end, but I don't ever seem myself spending much more in the foreseeable future. My last gun was the Savage. Cost me $1000 ish with the scope and rifle. For me then that was a lot. Now this next gun I plan to have for a very long time and decided to get something nicer.
    I reckon that makes sense. You want a "Quality" rifle, one is more than just "Utility".

My Sporterized Military Mauser is IMO, a quality rifle.

I also have a Weatherby Mk V, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, that is both quality AND Utility, since it is SS, and has a Synthetic Stock. Whatta Rifle, and Whatta Cartridge.

I would suggest Weatherby as well as SAKO, or maybe one of the Semi Custom rifles out there.

There's one drawback to owning a Weatherby, and that's all the BS that clueless folks say about them. They are really quality rifles, IME, and IMO. Of course, they aren't the Only Rifles that can be considered quality.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I reckon that makes sense. You want a "Quality" rifle, one is more than just "Utility".

Smitty of the North
    I agree Smitty- a lot of folks just want the cheapest tool that'll do the job. I've got a couple of "budget guns" that do just fine and I could happily kill critters for the rest of my days.

But... hunting hard with an exceptionally well built gun like a Weatherby, or a Sako, or a Nosler...or several more that are built to higher standard of fit and finish is its own reward. Not saying a guy should take food off the table to put a high end shooter in the cabinet, but for the folks with the means and the appreciation of what they're getting- I'd say go for it, every single time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I guess you would have to describe what you mean by quality. There are lots of 98 Mausers and 17 Enfields still working just fine after almost a century of use. I would call that quality. If you mean looking pretty as quality we are not on the same page.

Sh:

I live in Virginia LOL...doubt I'll be at the range in AK!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I guess you would have to describe what you mean by quality. There are lots of 98 Mausers and 17 Enfields still working just fine after almost a century of use. I would call that quality. If you mean looking pretty as quality we are not on the same page.
    I really think what most of us are discussing here is grade. You can have poor quality in a good grade product and good quality in a low grade product.

For example- most Savage Axis rifles are what we'd call low grade (few features, less precise machining, entry level mass production), but most I've seen are good shooters and high quality in that they were well executed within their design and perform just fine.

On the inverse- a few years ago, Kimber- typically known as a higher grade rifle (better features, better machining, lower volume of production)churned out some really low quality pieces (feeding issues, accuracy expectations), maybe not all of them...but enough to cause a reputation issue.

Grade tells you what sort of expectations you should have of a product, quality tells you if it met them or not.

7stw, thanks for info.
    Thats a nice rifle you got.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I thought I DID, my mentioning a cupla brands, and including Custom, but to elaborate further, I mean workmanship. Things like Metal to Wood fit, how slick the action, no machining marks, features that work. Same thickness of the material on both sides of the forend. How exacting the chamber. I could go on and on, if I could think of everything.

When something isn't right, I don't consider it "Quality", no matter how long it has lasted. By and large, with the 98 Mausers, and 1917 Enfields, the metal work quality was pretty good. Granted, there were short cuts and hurry ups at the end of the war, and they were often banged around from rough use, but quality can always be seen where it exists.

Poor quality is much more noticeable, even with Pretty guns.

Pretty depends somewhat on perspective.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast