Thread: Different bullets through the same gun

Default Different bullets through the same gun

hypothetically, if you had a revolver that shot different cartridges (say 45 colt, and 410) and you loaded each chamber with a different cartridge would that cause any harm to the gun? i have heard, second-hand, that someone did damage to a barrel by doing that and i wondered what others thought. additionally, would alternating different grain bullets in the same magazine cause any problems? sorry if it's a dumb question, was just sitting around thinking.

First part no, we are talking more revolvers here and so long as the bullet makes it out the muzzle before the next is fired this won't damage it. Guss like Judge are intended to be loaded in combinations of 410 buck shot and aborted 45 Colt defensive rounds all at the same time.

Next part ". . . would alternating different grain bullets in the same magazine cause any problems?" assuming we are now talking auto loaders now.
    Yes it sure can, the guns are tuned to certain amounts of gas and recoil and bullet shapes. If you stay within the ammo the gun is tuned for it should run it but you are more likely to get some jams out of it . . . any time you increase the number of variables you increase the odds of some issues developing. Go outside what the gun is tuned for and it will become an exercise in frustration trying to make it digest any ammo it doesn't like.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    First part no, we are talking more revolvers here and so long as the bullet makes it out the muzzle before the next is fired this won't damage it. Guss like Judge are intended to be loaded in combinations of 410 buck shot and aborted 45 Colt defensive rounds all at the same time.

Next part ". . . would alternating different grain bullets in the same magazine cause any problems?" assuming we are now talking auto loaders now.
    Yes it sure can, the guns are tuned to certain amounts of gas and recoil and bullet shapes. If you stay within the ammo the gun is tuned for it should run it but you are more likely to get some jams out of it . . . any time you increase the number of variables you increase the odds of some issues developing. Go outside what the gun is tuned for and it will become an exercise in frustration trying to make it digest any ammo it doesn't like.
    thanks for the reply...it certainly makes sense!

If I could try to add other tidbits to what Andy has stated I would add this. Loading 410 and 45 Colt in a revolver (Such as a judge or such similar revolver) will result in different recoil generally and different points of impact. There is a glut of 2 1/2" and 3" 410 loads marketed as self defense loads and such that are loaded with various combinations of "slugs" and cylindrical copper plated projectiles (usually three). These loads are ballistically different from the 45 Colt and will have a different POI. At inside the room ranges this will matter little but for field use to gather meat for the pot it will be enough to miss at even a few yards. The only redeeming grace will be the "pattern" these loads produce. I don't see how alternating loads could produce problems other than that, in these combo revolvers.
    Any autoloader will work ideally with only one load but there is generally an acceptance of various loads that will still give reliable function and usable accuracy. There will almost always be some change in point of impact (POI) in various loads but usually within the shooters ability to group shots.

Also in general I consider it unsound thinking to expect any one gun to fulfill the role of many or even do double duty and do well at both. Some gun/cartridge combinations do much better than others but there may likely be a better choice for either task. This is true for rifle or handgun but I do realize many cannot afford but one gun or may be so confined, for various reasons, as to have but one gun when many are needed. Choose wisely and learn to shoot it well. Learn its capabilities and expanding ones own skill set will make any firearm more useful.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Also in general I consider it unsound thinking to expect any one gun to fulfill the role of many or even do double duty and do well at both.
    Agreed. I view guns like the Judge as pretty well a waste of good marital myself . . . you can't make a good handgun into a good shotgun without ruining it and vise/verse.

Also I said ". . . intended to be loaded in combinations of 410 buck shot and aborted 45 Colt defensive rounds all at the same time."
    I am only saying that is the idea behind the gun I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. To me you ruin a good 45 Colt by putting pathetic 410 rounds in there . . . if you want a defensive shotgun get a 12 gage 500/870, don't try to turn a 45 Colt into a shotgun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a couple of handguns that I consider very good dual purpose guns. A 1911 45acp and a M28 S&W both make good people defense guns and both work well for me for small game hunting.

One "application" and some practical experience.

In my youth (long, long ago!) I worked in serious rattlesnake country that also had healthy black bear population. Spring was tough because snakes were thick and momma bears with new cubs drifted down low in the watersheds where I worked. You could run into both several times a day, and it was remote country where people seldom ventured and the critters weren't "schooled" to humans. More confrontations than I care to recall.

I was carrying a 4" S&W M19 in those days. I kept it fed with 2 rounds of 38 Spec shot loads and 4 hardcast SWCs. Theory had it that I could "shoot through" those shot loads fast enough to get to the SWC's if I ever needed them with a bear. Never had to ding a bear, but one really obnoxious little gal tempted me to pepper her backside with shot as she turned to leave. Wised up and left well enough alone.

Over the 3 years I did that job, I had enough trouble with rattlers that I went from a 2/4 mix to a 3/3 mix to a 4/2 mix. The last year I finally said the heck with the bears and went with 6 shot loads. And needed them all one day when my "excitement" with a particular snake led to an empty gun and a still angry and unscathed buzz tail....

The theory of different loads is pretty appealing, but in that series of years, it proved kinda problematic in application.

I like to put .223 cartridges down my .458 SOCOM. I always get a kick out of people's reaction when the entire cartridge falls out the end of the barrel.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I'm not sure I can see the benefit of different loads in the same cylinder. Kind of like guys that load slugs then 00 buck. I can't see the benefit. Might as well just go with the slugs.

I do however have 2 loads for the same gun that shoot to the same point of impact which is handy. A plinking load, 45 Colt 255gr rnfp 8.5 gr Unique and a hunting load, 355gr 21.5 gr H110. Same POA/POI out to about 50-70yds.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again