Thread: Lee dies

Default Lee dies

when setting up a new set of lee rifle dies, the instruction manual for the resizing die mentioned to raise the ram, screw the die until it's touching the shellholder, lower the ram, and then screw in the die another 1/4-1/3 of a turn and raise the ram to tighten the die in place. other dies i've used in the past typically have you screw in the die until it's touching the shellholder and then tighten it in place. by screwing the lee die further in this doesn't allow my press to cam-over. does this really matter? excuse my ignorance, but i'm not seeing the benefit of screwing the die further in and could see where i may even shorten the stroke since i'm not getting the feedback of the ram camming-over. i appreciate your thoughts on the matter. thanks.

I think they are just allowing for the flexibility of some of the cheaper Lee presses, making sure people set the die extra deep in them.

I set up all my dies till they just cam over, this way wherever the rigidity qualitys of the press are its taken into account. Then if I want to neck size I back off about 1/4 turn from there.

Best tip for Lee dies is tighten the bejesus out of the decapping stem nut and never look back, if you hit a crimped primer or something it will still move . . . you want that sucker tight or you'll be arguing with it.

Oh another tip . . . always try to use a shell holder of the same brand as the die. The die length and shell holders are somewhat matched to each other, sometimes mixing brands results in a pairing that over or under sizes the case.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like Lee dies but I have one set (30/30 ) that the decapping pin likes to slip removing primers no matter how tight you tighten the decapping pin nut. I even twisted one nut in half trying to get it tight enough to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I like Lee dies but I have one set (30/30 ) that the decapping pin likes to slip removing primers no matter how tight you tighten the decapping pin nut. I even twisted one nut in half trying to get it tight enough to hold.
    Chuck the stem in a drill and hit it with some 320 or 400, makes little traction rings on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona