Thread: Fishing Gear Question (rods n reels)

Default Fishing Gear Question (rods n reels)

So I have FINALLY gotten all of my late father's fishing gear up here to AK. It's all bass fishing gear. I now have close to 2 dozen rods, but I can't figure what to do with them. They are all medium and medium heavy action (with a few that are heavy action) rods of 6-7 ft in length. Virtually all have baitcaster reels on them. The few spinning outfits are 5.5-6 ft medium or medium heavy with small reels. There are a couple of "flipping sticks" (extendable out to 8 ft, heavy action, baitcaster reels).

I feel like these are "in between" for Alaskan fishing. A MH rod is like using a broom handle on trout and grayling, but I feel like it would be too light for salmon. Or am I wrong. How would you guys put these types of rods to use up here?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    A MH rod is like using a broom handle on trout
    Sounds like you need to find bigger trout.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

IMO most of the bait casters would be fine for flippen for reds in the Kenai; infact they may be idealy suited for that type of fishing. Use a couple for that & let the rest find new homes.

Any six foot medium action could work for silvers, and all of those would be fine for pike or jigging charr or lakers. I used the same rod for Pike in Char in Dillingham as I did for bass and walleye in WI a decade earlier. 7' two piece with medium action.....lots of silvers too.

Those bigger rods are great for huckin vibraxes

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

As others have already stated, they will serve you well Pike fishing, and many of the same lures that Bass like also work with Pike. I'm sure your Dad would smile seeing you haul in a huge pike using his old gear.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well thanks for the input you guys. I just got them out of the semi-trailer Tuesday. This weekend I'll go through and clean years of dust of them. Spend some time getting them cleaned up and ready to go. (New line I would think is a must.) I brought up some of his old tackle boxes (stored indoors) and almost all of the tackle is in good condition. (Plastic worms, rattle traps, divers, etc.)

Well thanks for the input you guys. I just got them out of the semi-trailer Tuesday. This weekend I'll go through and clean years of dust of them. Spend some time getting them cleaned up and ready to go. (New line I would think is a must.) I brought up some of his old tackle boxes (stored indoors) and almost all of the tackle is in good condition. (Plastic worms, rattle traps, divers, etc.)
    Those rattle traps in particular have a use, Pike dig em.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Those rattle traps in particular have a use, Pike dig em.
    REALLY? I didn't know that. Growing up, that was my favorite. Dad liked to flip a plastic worm or crawdad into lilly pads or cat tails because it produced bigger fish, but I always found that boring.

Are pike okay to eat? (I know it's illegal to release them once caught.)

REALLY? I didn't know that. Growing up, that was my favorite. Dad liked to flip a plastic worm or crawdad into lilly pads or cat tails because it produced bigger fish, but I always found that boring.

Are pike okay to eat? (I know it's illegal to release them once caught.)
    I think pike are the best freshwater whitefleshed fish I have eaten. Poached, baked, fried.....pickled. It helps to get em bigger than about 22 inches to fillet out the y bones, but it just takes practice.

Several folks have posted about the downside of pike, but remember that pike are indigenous and not a threat to salmon fisheries in many areas of the state, namely out west and up north, but obviously are hell with fins where they have been introduced.

And indeed, rattle traps catch about anything, run em along the deep edge of a weedline or off of rockpiles cuz pike are not always in the weeds.

Another thing to think about, some old lures are highly collected and can be very valuable, many look for estates to buy from folks that don't realize what they have.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/