Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a old GlasPly

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post

We used MDO plywood, doug fir with few voids and exterior glue and weather resistant resin coated paper, used for exterior signs, tanks..... and boats... MDF is a fiberboard product and would not be a good idea.
    Well, that's what I was thinking.....just haven't seen/heard of MDO before. Bet that stuff isn't cheap?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We bought the MDO from SBS, 1/2" double sided $48.00, 3/4" double sided $60.00 and we also bought some 3/4" marine plywood (doug fir) for $75.00, I used that to replace the motor mounts. Not real sure why the marine ply was more.....? Both use exterior glues. The MDO is very nice to work with, the sheets are flat, solid and consistent.

We also bought some marine plywood from Superior hardwoods to fix the transom, for that we used Hydrotek & that ran $150.00
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

You're right can't beat the power price. The raising of the roof is awesome and clean. Are ya going to run trim tabs? Pretty invaluable imo.
    Yeah that little 19' we ran on Kauai for a lot of years was awesome and economical. It had a 1500 lb in deck fish hold, and we ran a 25' vertical green stick with an electric winch drum. See wicked tuna for how those work. Pretty awesome but I was a little concerned on a 19' boat but the boat handled it fine. How much fuel does the tank hold?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

We have a set of Bennetts that came on the boat, if the pump works we will likely reuse them, the tabs are 30 years old and the stainless is pocked, its pretty hard to put on old parts at this point...
    If we have to replace I am thinking we may use electrics instead of hydraulics.

Good to hear the 19 worked well, I have reads lots of good reports of these small GP's so I hope it lives up to it.....!

We had to replace the tank, I had one built by Karolds in Fairbanks, I am estimating it will hold 135/137 gallons, after the fact I may have been able to make it a few gallons more.

My good buddie says "You never have enough fuel unless yer in fire....!"
    TR

What a fun project except for the Fiberglas part. Where did you guys get new window frames? That's probably the biggest improvement to the lines of any GP. The Hawaiian versions all have taller roofs but because of the ridiculous corrosion factor in Hawaii they always glassed in the cab and installed gasketed Windows
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

It has been quite a process, we were clueless when we started.... I should have known better as we do a lot of remodeling, and old items never get reused once everything else is bright and shiny.

I started to get the hang of the fiberglass part, we replaced the transom & motor mounts, there was a lot of grinding, cutting & cursing whilst bent over in the bilges.... that got old. Once we discovered the transom was wet it was hard to ignore.

We bought the frames from PCMW in BC, http://www.pcmw.ca/ the extrusions are nearly identical to the originals, they were relatively cheap, we cut, fit and had Karold weld them up, then powder coated here in town.

We changed the angle of the windshield from a 45 to a 60 degree angle to give a little more room inside, It doesnt look quite as sleek, but its practical and I think I will get used to it. We also shortened up the cabin about 12" as it was huge and the cockpit was ridiculously dinky. That left a over hang on the hardtop at the back, which was ok, but it needed to be up to avoid a head knocker at the corners.

We raised it 6", as my partner on this project is 6-2 and he said he has never been in a small boat that he could stand up in......!
    No problem with that now, its has a lot of space.
    TR

Default Transom repair

At least it has glass stringers, the older ones has wood stringers and I was glad we stayed away from them. We did have to cut them and reattach to the transom, also redid the battery shelves on each side. The plywood was not as bad as we thought, as wet as was it was still rather tenacious to remove and quite sound. I guess thats a testament to the original materials GP used.

We drilled a number of holes in an attempt to determine its strength, and I cut a slot with a router, the wood was dark but not rotten, however when you pushed on it with a tool, water would come out.... We debated for a while what to do, and at that time we hadnt really decided how far we were going to go with this project. The boat knew, but we didnt.....!

In reality it probaly would;d have held together for quite some time, but it would have been a niggling concern in the back of mind every-time we went out. I know its solid now.
    TR

Finally... back on the Glasply project, motor is back in and sounding good..... most important is my better half likes it....!

TR

Let's see updated pics!

Yea ditto on updated pics! All of the pics from the older posts are unviewable.

Sobie2

Lots has happened, will post more pics this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Lots has happened, will post more pics this weekend.
    Lookin' as good as she sounds...Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bought a winch and decided it needed a proper pulpit, used Starboard and aluminum. The roller is made so it will self launch.
    TR

Working with starboard was a first, very nice to work using basic woodworking tools.
    TR

Milling and ciphering
    TR

Making the "car".
    TR

Almost ready, last trial fit before I start drilling holes......!
    TR

Geez, wish I could add more than 2 pics at a time...

Layout is done, drilled some pilot holes and the removed the balsa coring, which was nice to see it was all "blonde".....

Chamfered the holes and filled with thickened resin
    TR

Sealed with 5200
    TR

And done, all for now
    TR