Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a old GlasPly

Default Rebuilding a old GlasPly

This is a project I have been working on with a buddy for the past winter or two..

Finally starting to go back together, last week we got the new window frames installed and the lower hardtop on.

This is what it looked like when we picked it up in September 2012

There has been a lot of sanding in between, and a ways to go yet, but at least the end is insight.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Looking great. I abandoned my glasply rebuild last year, but I still have a soft spot for them.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Looking great. I abandoned my glasply rebuild last year, but I still have a soft spot for them.
    Thanks, GP's are good ole boats, pretty solid, but its a project to bring one back from the brink. I am glad its not any bigger......!
    TR

Thumbs up

Man, what a great cabin! Great job and from here to the finish is the fun part, fitting out the interior. Love the surrounding windows. I see you removed one of the side two porthole/windows. What is the intended use of that space? It also appears that the cabin roof is open, like the will be a skylight or a canvas top? Please keep posting progress with pics.

Good eye, we did glass in a port side window, original the boat had a goofy space for a porta potti in that corner of the cabin. It took up a bunch of space and it was not a stand up area. I wanted a seat across form the helm so a passenger could sit up front, extra set of eyes looking forward and better to share the adventure with. Plus with the space we gained we have a bunk over the dinette that is 6'-8" or so.
    We moved the bulkhead forward to increase the cockpit also.

This is the original layout

This is the new layout we did last winter

TR

Glassplys are great boats, its what I started out in 20 plus years ago. Your going to to love it when your done, nice job!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    Great job and from here to the finish is the fun part, fitting out the interior.It also appears that the cabin roof is open, like the will be a skylight or a canvas top?
    Sounds like you have been down this road before, it is the fun part, no more grinding & sanding fiberglass (I hope), there is a outer fiberglass skin that completes the hardtop. It will be one of the last pieces to get installed as we will be running some wiring in that space between the upper and lower.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Glassplys are great boats, its what I started out in 20 plus years ago. Your going to to love it when your done, nice job!
    BK
    I sure like the hull and have heard a lot of positive comments about Glasplys. I had no idea where this project was going when we bought it two years ago.....

This should look different after this weekend when we start putting the cabinets in:

Had to replace the tank, new one is ~ 135 gallons

John
    TR

Bulkhead/s and cabinets installed

TR

You sure did a great job John, looks like a new boat! I hope you get it wet this summer.What do you have for power?

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    You sure did a great job John, looks like a new boat! I hope you get it wet this summer.What do you have for power?
    Thanks Larry.....! We have a low hour Mercruiser 5.7..... it should push it just fine.
    TR

You've certainly done a great job on this rebuild. I'm sure that Glasply will give you great enjoyment. It's a beautiful boat.

This is doing it right!

Finally I am back on this project, I got involved in a house that took up some time.

I got the helm laid out and in the boat last weekend. I must have laid it out a dozen times if I did it once.

Trued up the holes with a flushing bit

In the boat it went

TR

Wow that's looking great!!! I'm kinda surprised you didn't go with a bracket and outboard (s)?
    Not many folks realize it but a boat builder in Hawaii made a plug of a couple of Glass Ply's (Aliikai Boats) and made 19' & 21' versions for years. Most of em if not all are outboard powered and I used to light commercial fish on a 19' version.
    Great heavy water boat, went thru many a wave on her, powered with twin high thrust Yamaha 60's and flush deck.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Very nice! Excuse my ignorance but is that MDF you used inside for the cabinets or something else that just looks like it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Akgramps,
    Pretty sharp, glad your back on to the fun stuff.
    Look forward to more pics.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Wow that's looking great!!! I'm kinda surprised you didn't go with a bracket and outboard (s)?
    Not many folks realize it but a boat builder in Hawaii made a plug of a couple of Glass Ply's (Aliikai Boats) and made 19' & 21' versions for years. Most of em if not all are outboard powered and I used to light commercial fish on a 19' version.
    Great heavy water boat, went thru many a wave on her, powered with twin high thrust Yamaha 60's and flush deck.
    A outboard certainly was considered, we bought a low hour (32) 5.7 Mercruiser, with outdrive gauges etc for $3500.00 from a member on another forum, Compression was 180 on all 8, we ran it on a pallet, starts right up idles fine. I think it will serve us well. Hard to beat the price. A OB would have opened up some other options, fish hold, and more room in the cockpit. However the GP is rather unique in that the cockpit and cabin floor are the same elevation. Makes for a modular & flexible layout. The bad is It is not self bailing.... I would have wanted to raise the cockpit floor and then the corners of the hardtop would have been head knockers.... We raised the roof 6" already, it never ends.

Which brings me to another concern GP's are narrow at the chine so I think weight down low is a good feature... In any case we are committed to the V-8 at this point. I have seen the Hawaiian versions on CL from time to time.
    I think the GP's are good hulls and I hope it performs well. its a small boat and there are always compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Very nice! Excuse my ignorance but is that MDF you used inside for the cabinets or something else that just looks like it?
    We used MDO plywood, doug fir with few voids and exterior glue and weather resistant resin coated paper, used for exterior signs, tanks..... and boats... MDF is a fiberboard product and would not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Akgramps,
    Pretty sharp, glad your back on to the fun stuff.
    Look forward to more pics.
    Bk
    Thanks BK, I am enjoying getting back at it....!
    TR

Beautiful! I have an 1985 20footer with a 260 merc--trying to figure out what starter I need to order, as it seems to be on its way out.

Quote Originally Posted by rntim View Post
    Beautiful! I have an 1985 20footer with a 260 merc--trying to figure out what starter I need to order, as it seems to be on its way out.

I am not very knowledgeable on mercs other than the one we have and still learning.

Paddy Hansen at Hansens Marine should be able to get you the right starter.

Address: 102 Burkhart Dr, Sitka, AK 99835

Phone: (907) 747-6797

TR

nice job i really like the helm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast