Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ????? TIME period for Resident Hunting License......."LONGER" Maybe

Default ????? TIME period for Resident Hunting License......."LONGER" Maybe

Maybe the problem is with the time period required to become an Alaskan Resident for getting a resident Hunting License.......???

Is it too short...?

Maybe that needs to be longer.

Maybe no hunting allowed the first 365 days you live in Alaska, then you can get a "Small Game" hunting license, then two years later you can get a Big Game hunting license.

Sounds crazy.....but would it discourage tens of thousands from moving to Alaska for the primary reason to hunt. It is my ONLY reason for moving to Alaska.

OK....try this, first year in Alaska NO hunting allowed. Second year in Alaska you can hunt small game only, this would be called a "Class III" hunting License. After 24 months you can get a "Class II" license which allows hunting Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, Deer.

After 36 months with "Zero" hunting fines, you can get a "Class I" license that would allow for hunting all "legal" Alaska game.

In order to get an Alaska Asst. Guide License you must meet existing testing and experience requirements......Plus you must have had a "Class I" hunting license for 24 months or more. This would slow the growth of the Guide Industry, raise the "Alaska Hunting" skills level for aspiring new guides.

I don't think that I've ever met a resident in the field, who wasn't military, who had been in the state for less than a year. And, I think we can all agree that military personnel should be able to hunt, as long as they are actually stationed in Alaska.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

I really don't think we need to start a whole new system for determining residency for hunting. That would be so ugly to manage, it wouldn't even be funny. I really don't think there are tens of thousands of people moving up here for the primary reason of hunting. It may be a factor that they include when looking for a place to live, but probably only a few use it as the primary factor.

We already have a confusing enough system for figuring residency when you consider different conditions for taxes, driver's license, PFD, hunting, etc... This would just push an already convoluted system off the cliff.

Well, There is a problem..........there is one HELL of a huge problem and is not going to fix it's self.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post

trying to extend residency requirements beyond a year would run afoul of federal laws. ain't gonna happen ever.

The only 'problem' I could see with this would be the amount of hunters that claim they are a resident, when in fact they are not...which is a 'problem' already. What is so confusing about knowing how long you have lived up here? There are quite a few 'new resident hunters' that just can't seem to remember how long that they've been here.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well, There is a problem..........there is one HELL of a huge problem and is not going to fix it's self.
    I guess I don't see it the same way. I don't see that there is "one HELL of a huge problem..." I do see that there likely needs to be adjustments made to address normal changes over time. Populations of animals change. Numbers of hunters, both resident and non-resident as well as success rates of both, change over time. As a result, adjustments to the "system" need to be made, but I don't see why those adjustments can't be made within the already established mechanisms. Whether it is tweaking the hunting seasons, adjusting the allocation, establishing drawing hunts in place of open tag hunts, etc.. All those things can be very effective to address the issues we are seeing and don't take a wholesale change to how we do things.

I couldn't get behind this at all, our residency requirements are in line with most of the states, less than some if I recall. Also, if this fine free period is applied, there are plenty of "residents" that get fined for stuff and I could only see this also meaning extended hunting privelege suspension for them if we are going to try to raise the bar of accountability.

Otherwise we'd be like Canada and DUI's......they seem to forgive their own much faster than nonresidents, which is logically silly.

Our resident requirement and there after is a big problem, We should follow PFD guidelines were way to easy of a state to remain a resident after you've become one....my 2 cents
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Maybe the problem is with the time period required to become an Alaskan Resident for getting a resident Hunting License.......???

Is it too short...?

Maybe no hunting allowed the first 365 days you live in Alaska, then you can get a "Small Game" hunting license, then two years later you can get a Big Game hunting license.

Sounds crazy.....but would it discourage tens of thousands from moving to Alaska for the primary reason to hunt. It is my ONLY reason for moving to Alaska.

OK....try this, first year in Alaska NO hunting allowed. Second year in Alaska you can hunt small game only, this would be called a "Class III" hunting License. After 24 months you can get a "Class II" license which allows hunting Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, Deer.

After 36 months with "Zero" hunting fines, you can get a "Class I" license that would allow for hunting all "legal" Alaska game.

In order to get an Alaska Asst. Guide License you must meet existing testing and experience requirements......Plus you must have had a "Class I" hunting license for 24 months or more. This would slow the growth of the Guide Industry, raise the "Alaska Hunting" skills level for aspiring new guides.

AGL4now; FWIW, In-Order to get a "Resident-Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Etc..." you have to have received at least One-[1]- PFD, and that would continue to be the "Bench-Mark" for all future applications,,,, ie.... with each application you would have to summit that last years PFD receipt, ie... the Misc..1099, just as you have to declare with the IRS, you have received those funds. You could also throw in a Alaska Drivers Lic. requirement, that has to have a Physical Address on that Lic.
    But, the I think PFD requirement would pretty much cover all-the-bases.

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    we are (sic) way to easy of a state to remain a resident after you've become one
    That's a separate issue, and I absolutely support addressing that issue. While I almost never see brand new residents in the field big game hunting, there are a lot of people who did one tour up here ten years ago who keep their drivers license just to hunt and fish.

I don't think it's really impacting the resource, but it's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    I'm not sure I want to add this requirement to the resident hunting and fishing eligibility:

"On the date I apply for the 2015 Permanent Fund Dividend, I have the intent to remain an Alaska resident indefinitely"

Oh, wait. Is that one of the questions that we are ok with people lying about? I forgot.

Was......You got "TWO" Mountain Goat harvest tickets.

Was......you got "TWO" Moose harvest tickets. (One required using after December 10'th)

Was......you got "FIVE" Caribou harvest tickets.

Was......you could harvest "ONE" Polar Bear.

Was......you could hunt a lot of land that has been removed for Federal and State Parks, Refuges, Native Land Claims, etc.

Was......No closed season, no limit for Black Bear.

was......so many wolves there was a "Bounty" on them.

Was......you did NOT have to wait "FOUR" years before you could hunt some species in some areas.

YES......the cause for what was available and is NOT today available, is partly the natural species cycle, weather, etc.. BUT mostly it is the acts of Humans, directly or indirectly.

Do YOU really not see that the quality and quantity of Alaskan hunting will continue to decline....???? Do you really expect the number of Alaskan Residents to drop 50%.......??? Or can you envision that the number of Alaska residents will continue to expand, as the resources continue to decline......???

Why keep just tweaking it a little here and a little there, year after year after year after year.....???

Maybe it is time to stop TWEAKING, and put it all "UP for REVIEW".......and overhaul Everything directly and/or indirectly in any way related to Alaska Hunting before it is to Late.
    Including Guides, Residents, Non-residents, Transporters.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I guess I don't see it the same way. I don't see that there is "one HELL of a huge problem..." I do see that there likely needs to be adjustments made to address normal changes over time. Populations of animals change. Numbers of hunters, both resident and non-resident as well as success rates of both, change over time. As a result, adjustments to the "system" need to be made, but I don't see why those adjustments can't be made within the already established mechanisms. Whether it is tweaking the hunting seasons, adjusting the allocation, establishing drawing hunts in place of open tag hunts, etc.. All those things can be very effective to address the issues we are seeing and don't take a wholesale change to how we do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    The only 'problem' I could see with this would be the amount of hunters that claim they are a resident, when in fact they are not...which is a 'problem' already. What is so confusing about knowing how long you have lived up here? There are quite a few 'new resident hunters' that just can't seem to remember how long that they've been here.
    My opinion is that they should increase the fine for lying about your residency, to ten times what it is now. What a money maker for the State that would be.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Is it too short...?

I think this is a bad idea...seriously. Maybe not if you are living in an urban environment or on the road, but living in the bush, yeah....not a good idea.
    I had to wait a year to hunt moose. No big deal. I still went out, without a rifle and helped pack a moose out, I was given a leg and some ribs after packing out five moose.

The next year I was legal to hunt, but broke an elbow. Luckily I picked some floaters up and gave them a warm shower and a floor to sleep on, they shared half their harvest with me.

There is really nothing wrong with the current one year wait.

All fines NEED to increase to the point they are a deterrent. EXAMPLE: Around here if you use an ATV to haul in all of your Bear Baiting gear, in the Chugach National Forest, the fine is less than one hundred dollars. It is worth it to many who Bear Bait to take the low risk of getting caught, and if they get caught the fine was cheap relative to manually packing IN and OUT all the stuff. Only a fool would NOT violate the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    My opinion is that they should increase the fine for lying about your residency, to ten times what it is now. What a money maker for the State that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I don't think that I've ever met a resident in the field, who wasn't military, who had been in the state for less than a year. And, I think we can all agree that military personnel should be able to hunt, as long as they are actually stationed in Alaska.

I'm former military, and I think that military personal should wait a year, just like everyone else. Or let them hunt on base.

All fines NEED to increase to the point they are a deterrent. EXAMPLE: Around here if you use an ATV to haul in all of your Bear Baiting gear, in the Chugach National Forest, the fine is less than one hundred dollars. It is worth it to many who Bear Bait to take the low risk of getting caught, and if they get caught the fine was cheap relative to manually packing IN and OUT all the stuff. Only a fool would NOT violate the law.
    Exactly...I agree that for ALL hunting violations...they should increase the fines.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I am not saying this is or is not a problem.......What I am saying in this thread and in the Second Degree Kindred thread is.......there should be NO sacred areas. It is past time, for a FULL review. Stop pooping on one user group at a time that just causes bitter feelings. Review EVERY aspect of Alaska Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I think this is a bad idea...seriously. Maybe not if you are living in an urban environment or on the road, but living in the bush, yeah....not a good idea.
    I had to wait a year to hunt moose. No big deal. I still went out, without a rifle and helped pack a moose out, I was given a leg and some ribs after packing out five moose.

The next year I was legal to hunt, but broke an elbow. Luckily I picked some floaters up and gave them a warm shower and a floor to sleep on, they shared half their harvest with me.

There is really nothing wrong with the current one year wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    AGL4now; FWIW, In-Order to get a "Resident-Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Etc..." you have to have received at least One-[1]- PFD, and that would continue to be the "Bench-Mark" for all future applications,,,, ie.... with each application you would have to summit that last years PFD receipt, ie... the Misc..1099, just as you have to declare with the IRS, you have received those funds. You could also throw in a Alaska Drivers Lic. requirement, that has to have a Physical Address on that Lic.

"TG"
    ARe you sure? PFD is one full calendar year. I moved here in August. The following August (365 days later) I was eligible for resident hunting. But not a PFD.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast