Thread: Sidescan sonars???

Default Sidescan sonars???

Anyone running one up here? I haven't heard or seen anyone running one in open ocean, don't know how well they'd work in deep water. Would be great for beach fishing...but rockpiles in 100-200fow? I'm looking at upgrading boats this spring and most likely start with a Simrad NSS12 package, but the Lowrance HDS12 with sidescan looked interesting.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Get the DVD called Dr. Sonar about the Lowrance models. Most guys that have these units are not using them to their full potential and don't even have them set up right. This DVD is very well done and will answer all your questions.

Pretty much all commercial fishing boats are using scanning sonar units.
    Whether down scan, side scan or forward scan technologies or a combination depending on the fishery.

As said above Dr Sonar is a great resource especially for Lowrance products.

http://doctorsonar.com/

Abel,
    I am also in the market for side view and down view sonar. I have an old Garmin chart plotter setup that I plan on replacing. I am wanting to stay with Garmin so I am looking at the 7610xsv GPS/MAP with CHIRP DownVu and SideVu with upgrade to the GSD 25 advanced sonar and dual GT51M transducers. Will upgrade my radar and boat auto pilot with the Garmin systems that will hook into this plotter as I can afford it.
    I was really hooked on the Lowarance HDS touch screen units with side scan, after fishing on boats with that unit. Very nice setup. I think as things advance in this area the Garmin will have the best upgrade longevity in there system.

I was looking real hard at the SIMRAD NSS12's as I love my CA and CE units, but with them being bought out by NAVICO, I've heard nothing good about their customer service, which was completely **&^ when I was running Lowrance on my previous rigs. I'm most likely going the same route as you Caveman, a pair of Garmin 7612vsx and a 7608 with Radar. Fortunately I can get away with only running one of the GT51-TH's as I'll be mounting it centered in the keel.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts