Thread: 45-70 reloading components needed...and loading advice

Default 45-70 reloading components needed...and loading advice

Just picked up my first 45-70 in a Ruger #1. Looking to load up some moderate practice loads as well as some high power thumpers.

Any recommendations on which brand dies to get? Lyman, RCBS, Hornady etc. These are readily available.

I am having trouble finding brass if anyone has any available.

Also, any particular loads you have worked up and interested in sharing would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

The 45-70 can be a fun gun to shoot. Being that brass can be hard to find, you might consider buying some inexpensive ammo to practice with and to get brass. There are several good places to get bullets. I use a lot of cast bullets, most of which I order from Oregon Trail bullets. There is also a local person that cast bullets and he has some good ones. Concerning dies, I like and use RCBS, but there is several different ones out there.

There is a gun show this weekend 7-8 Feb, and that might be a good place to check on reloading 'stuff'.

Glad you mentioned the show. I forgot all about it. ill check out the cast bullets.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    The 45-70 can be a fun gun to shoot. Being that brass can be hard to find, you might consider buying some inexpensive ammo to practice with and to get brass. There are several good places to get bullets. I use a lot of cast bullets, most of which I order from Oregon Trail bullets. There is also a local person that cast bullets and he has some good ones. Concerning dies, I like and use RCBS, but there is several different ones out there.

There is a gun show this weekend 7-8 Feb, and that might be a good place to check on reloading 'stuff'.
    Lee Stoner should have Cast Bullets for the 45-70, and he'll be at the next gun show.

I get the vast majority of my cast bullets from him. They're good bullets and I don't hafta pay freight.

Die choice is probably not that important, but I would definitely recommend the LEE Factory Crimp die.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'll look up Lee at the show. Being I am shooting a single shot, is a crimp necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I'll look up Lee at the show. Being I am shooting a single shot, is a crimp necessary?
    Necessary no but a very good idea for accuracy, crimp gives you more consistent bullet pull force and better powder ignition.

I always get Lee die sets when I can, they are better than most brands and very inexpensive. If Lee doesn't make the die my next choice is Redding, they are as good as Lee and maybe a tad better but WAY more money. Then Hornady if Redding doesn't have. RCBS dies are my last choice, they just aren't that good but they do usually work fine and if you buy local that is what you will find. But Lee dies are a heck of a great value, their other stuff is hit and miss but the dies are great.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a set of RCBS 45/70 dies that are brand new never used. Thought I wanted to reload for my 45/70 then realized I don't shoot it enough to justify. Have about 60 or so pieces of brass as well if you are interested.

I am. I'll shoot you a pm.

Try sending it again. I stepped down from being a moderator so I had to clear out my inbox some as it just got a WHOLE lot smaller.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    No, not in a SS, but it would be a good idea for back pressure, and it would make them suitable for a LA and tubular magazine, also.

Crimping might work the brass more, there on the end, but I dunno it that would be a big issue.

I shoot cast bullets in bottle-neck cartridges and don't crimp, and if for my 30-30 and Full Power loads I crimp. I also crimp bullets for my revolvers, and I use only cast bullets for them.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ifyouíre still looking for 45-70 brass, I recently got a bunch from Star Linesweb site.They have lots of calibers fora descent price.If you cast your own bullets, I have a Saeco 2 cavity magnum bullet mold Ė 405 grain flat nose I would sellyou.The flat nose is almost aspritzer and I didnít want to chance itin my Marlin 1895. I used it for one session.Itís a $120 at MidWay, Iíll take $80. If you or anyone else is interested,PM me.

I've shot a lot of Lee's bullet through my 45-70 and several other caliber rifles and handguns. He makes very good bullets. However, this is now my bullet of choice for the 45-70: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open...n_sight.htm/21
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.