Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Lake Trout

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    KP
    Posts
    115

    Default Lake Trout

    wanted to share this and get this out there, I know some of you will already have seen this in other forums. Just trying to grow support for some change in how Alaska Fisheries views these fish, especially the areas with high pressure.
    https://www.change.org/p/alaska-boar...out-management

    If you have any questions please ask

  2. #2
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Do the high pressure areas still have a good population of smaller Lakers? If so a size limit something like 2 under 20" and total release over might make more sense and get more support.

  3. #3
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    OK I will bite (harding lake)

    What is meant by high pressure lake? Can it be defined? or is it a random selective number based on a swag?

    Maybe some people just dont catch any fish and think there are no fish in the lake or numbers are going down?

    seriously... cause I keep hearing that harding Lake is under "high pressure" but the majority of trips I made this year I seen this:



    Empty - void of the mass raping the resource- no one on the lake... the most any one day on the lake i have seen was five portable huts (including mine) ... 3 of which I knew were regulars.

    I understand concern of those that do not want others to venture to the lake becuase the elusive and sensitive lake trout that are present are slow growing and slow reprooducing.

    However, Its been my personal experience that lake trout fishing has remained virtually the same production and quality there the last 5 years (if not better). (I have fished it since 2002 - It took me 8 years to catch a fish out of it - fishing it a handful of times every season) It is tough - I average about 36 hours of jigging a rod for each fish to the surface.

    There is already a size length restriction for retention and single hook only restriction. I think most caught fish have to be released because they dont break the retention length requirement. Are there people out there harvesting a bunch of fish - I have never seen or heard anything except from the people on here that dont ever go fishing there. heck they cant even catch them...

    Please help me understand how making changes to a catch & release only lake is going to change anything already not being accomplished?

    I have never harvested a lake trout, never plan on harvesting a lake trout in Alaska.

    I caught my first lake trout in Alaska at North Twin Lake.

    I have never planned or organized a ice fishing derby. I did support and provide donations to Paul Reed in 2011 and 2012 when he organized a "kids only" derby in the valley called "Getting Jiggy with It" for charity (Make a Wish) held at stocked lakes. I have only participated in ice fishng derby online here at ice shanty, although I have no objections to ice fishing derbies in general as long as they are held at locations with targeted fish populations stocked by ADF&G.

    I am not a regular at Lake Louise, and have limited personal experience about the lake trout population there.

    I am not ashamed to be a sport fisherman that shares information and my experiences with others online, in person, or in print.

    I believe in and encourage selective harvest and catch & release sport fishing with every species. I am support legal sport fishing. I also harvest and eat fish.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    OK I will bite (harding lake)

    What is meant by high pressure lake? Can it be defined? or is it a random selective number based on a swag?

    Maybe some people just dont catch any fish and think there are no fish in the lake or numbers are going down?

    seriously... cause I keep hearing that harding Lake is under "high pressure" but the majority of trips I made this year I seen this:



    Empty - void of the mass raping the resource- no one on the lake... the most any one day on the lake i have seen was five portable huts (including mine) ... 3 of which I knew were regulars.

    I understand concern of those that do not want others to venture to the lake becuase the elusive and sensitive lake trout that are present are slow growing and slow reprooducing.

    However, Its been my personal experience that lake trout fishing has remained virtually the same production and quality there the last 5 years (if not better). (I have fished it since 2002 - It took me 8 years to catch a fish out of it - fishing it a handful of times every season) It is tough - I average about 36 hours of jigging a rod for each fish to the surface.

    There is already a size length restriction for retention and single hook only restriction. I think most caught fish have to be released because they dont break the retention length requirement. Are there people out there harvesting a bunch of fish - I have never seen or heard anything except from the people on here that dont ever go fishing there. heck they cant even catch them...

    Please help me understand how making changes to a catch & release only lake is going to change anything already not being accomplished?

    I have never harvested a lake trout, never plan on harvesting a lake trout in Alaska.

    I caught my first lake trout in Alaska at North Twin Lake.

    I have never planned or organized a ice fishing derby. I did support and provide donations to Paul Reed in 2011 and 2012 when he organized a "kids only" derby in the valley called "Getting Jiggy with It" for charity (Make a Wish) held at stocked lakes. I have only participated in ice fishng derby online here at ice shanty, although I have no objections to ice fishing derbies in general as long as they are held at locations with targeted fish populations stocked by ADF&G.

    I am not a regular at Lake Louise, and have limited personal experience about the lake trout population there.

    I am not ashamed to be a sport fisherman that shares information and my experiences with others online, in person, or in print.

    I believe in and encourage selective harvest and catch & release sport fishing with every species. I am support legal sport fishing. I also harvest and eat fish.
    are there burbot in Harding?



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Here is a Harding Lake burbot I caught in back in 2009. It was delicious. I've also witnessed large pike caught and released in that lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  6. #6
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    are there burbot in Harding?
    DannerAK provided image evidence... did you notice the big crowd of ice fisherman behind him?

    I read a "legendary" story a couple months ago in a tourist digest called "Fish Alaska" - written by an old sourdough who thought he caught a huge Harding lake trouton his set line, only to find out it was a average sized burbot wrapped in a folding chair. Guess they used to be able to set line for burbort in the lake - not any more.

    I have caught one burbort from the lake, total surprise, and unintentional.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  7. #7

    Default

    Jedi, So are you saying it shouldnt be catch and release for lake trout at harding?

  8. #8
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I have caught one burbort from the lake, total surprise, and unintentional.
    How could we forget:

    http://www.newsminer.com/features/outdoors/big-burbot-catches-north-pole-angler-by-surprise/article_801f2e93-f0ed-5a50-8c14-5a10d6f53ae1.html


    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=burbot
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  9. #9
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Here is a Harding Lake burbot I caught in back in 2009. It was delicious. I've also witnessed large pike caught and released in that lake.
    There probably should be a law made that you may not release a live pike back into the water, anywhere in Alaska.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  10. #10
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    There probably should be a law made that you may not release a live pike back into the water, anywhere in Alaska.
    Even where they are native and in low population numbers? I believe the regs pertaining to pike in Harding Lake are due to conservation concerns:

    Special Regulations for the Tanana Drainage Page 26,
    Harding Lake:
    Closed to fishing for northern pike. All northern
    pike must be released immediately.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  11. #11
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default


    whats even better:

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=648

    It gave me inspriration to write an article about participating in ADF&G Trophy Fish Program, that was contributed to ADF&G Alaska Fish & Wildlife News online magazine.

    I still get random positive remarks from email about the story.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  12. #12

    Default

    So somebody is trying to gather support for a catch and realease initiative and you turn it into a series of posts about your angling prowess. And you try to convince that these photos and articles arent about your ego.

  13. #13
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default



    **** JEDI ..... I GOING GET YOU!

    Note to self: Some people just want to burn the world, finding fault with anything and everything about someone. Cowardly snarks, lurking in the shawdows under annoyomous screen names.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  14. #14

    Default

    I dont want to see the world burn, quite the contrary. I want to see the quality of the fisheries be as good for ny grandson as they were for me me when I began fishing in Alaska 50 years ago. In that time I have seen the fisheries decline and decline the way homerdave described in the ice fishing section of this forum. So again I ask how does someone who is trying to garner support for an initative to help protect a fishery turn into you trying to promote your angling prowess.

  15. #15
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default



    Dam JEDI... posting fishing photos and stuff on a fishing forum what gives him the right...hes just so full of himself, what an ego...why I otta
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  16. #16
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8weight View Post
    I dont want to see the world burn, quite the contrary. I want to see the quality of the fisheries be as good for ny grandson as they were for me me when I began fishing in Alaska 50 years ago. In that time I have seen the fisheries decline and decline the way homerdave described in the ice fishing section of this forum. So again I ask how does someone who is trying to garner support for an initative to help protect a fishery turn into you trying to promote your angling prowess.
    Jeez, maybe you should go get a new bunch of grapes, the ones you have now appear to be a bit sour.

  17. #17
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Jeez, maybe you should go get a new bunch of grapes, the ones you have now appear to be a bit sour.
    Indeed...I would have to say that his grapes have turned to 'whine'...
    "Grin and Bear It"

  18. #18

    Default

    Great response jedi. I ask a straight forward question and you avoid it, that figures. Im sure your "sponsors" are quite impressed and proud to have you on their "pro staff". Not to mention, your trophy post must have done them proud as well. As far as you other two supporters, go ahead and keep drinking the kool aid.

  19. #19
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  20. #20
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •