View Poll Results: Which one is your all around caliber in Alaska?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll

1 0.62%

0 0%
  • .30-30

0 0%
  • .30-06

41 25.47%
  • 7mm Mag.

7 4.35%
  • .300WM

23 14.29%
  • .338WM

57 35.40%
  • .375 H&H

24 14.91%
  • .45-70

6 3.73%
  • .416 Magnum

2 1.24%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which is your "all around" Alaska cartridge?

Default Poll: Which is your "all around" Alaska cartridge?

I would like to start another poll relating to the most popular Alaska cartridges used by Alaskan hunters. The problem is that I have never started a poll before, so this will be a trial. The cartridges I will be posting are the most popular, but you may add more if you wish, or at least mention your favorite if not of of the following. .270, .280, .30-30, .45-70, .30-06, 7mm Magnum, .300WM, .338WM, .375 H&H, and .416 Remington Magnum. Please tell us which is your favorite big game bullet, too.

The reason for this poll is so lower-48 hunters can have an idea of which and why these are the most popular cartridges, at least "most popular" relating to all around use. I understand that there are more cartridges than those posed in the poll, but these polls allow for 10 entries.

I voted for the .338WM, of course, and keep in mind that this poll will be good for 30 days beginning now.

.300 Win Mag with a full range of handloads. You can make something suitable for about any job. Flat shooter.

Some pole, no vote for the .22 Long Rifle rimfire! I feel ripped off!

Up to recently, I considered my .375 as the all around caliber. I've also used my 7mm Rem Mag on everything except when the possibility of a grizzly/brown bear was in the mix. I'm considering changing over to a newly aquired 8mm Rem Mag as an all aound caliber. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bill S,

I'd love to hear how that 8mm works out for you. Thinking about one myself. Oh yeah...good luck with the goats this year.

Brent

Yeah, where's the .22WMR and the .223? Those are my fav's for all around shooting. But I voted .30/06 as I can shoot 55g-220g if needed. 150 is my favorite factory load though, flat shooting and can reach way out there.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Unhappy Missing the 8s!

I went ahead and voted, but you're missing all the .323 calibers: the 8x57JS, the 8 mag, and the 325 WSM. All fine Alaska cartridges!

I went with the 338winny. I've owned alot of different calibers and I seem to always grab the 338 for hunting. its my meat in the pot gun.

Yes, I figure that I missed a lot of other calibers, but only because I could only enter 10 cartridges. I decided to enter the most widely used ones, however.

Both the .375H&H and 8mm Magnum can be all around guns up here. A lightweight .375 H&H (around 8 pounds) should be pretty nice as long as the stock is of a good design to tame recoil. A .375 Taylor should be such a cartridge (lightweight .375), since it uses a .338 case necked-up to .375-caliber bullets.

The .22's mentioned above are also popular, but not as much as the ones I listed for big game hunting, although they have the power to kill big game. For example, do you remember the guy who was being mauled by a bear that came out of its den after he killed the first one? Well, his hunting partner shot the bear on the head with a .223 or so, I believe. The guy was a pretty good shot, and killed the bear while it was mauling his friend, with three accurate shots on the bear's head. .

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I went with the 338winny. I've owned alot of different calibers and I seem to always grab the 338 for hunting. its my meat in the pot gun.
    Yep, that's all I use anymore as a "meat" gun. It just works without much fuss, and is easy to reload for.

I won't be using my 30-06 much anymore now that I have a 7mm Mag and a .338WM, but that gun served me well on all sizes of game for many, many years. Seriously, if a new Alaskan hunter wanted to buy a gun that was easy to shoot well and that was capable of taking all manner of Alaskan game, go with the tried and true. Second choice would be a 338, but it's not as easy to shoot well.

I voted 300 WM, but own a 300 RUM. Ammo for the RUM is pretty expensive if you don't reload. 300 WM is a pretty common caliber and most of the ammo is reasonably priced.

Default love the odd 6

After shooting a 300wm for years (and killing everything I shot at) I decided I just don't like getting kicked every time I pulled the trigger. Target practice just was not any fun. I had a chance to set up a 30-06 for my son, and decided to do the same for me. He was small, so I ported it. Mine is not. He has grown into it, so this summer we will remove the porting, and the extra noise that goes with it.
    Point blank range, ie 3" above to 3" below zero is not that much different than the magnums. I would suggest shooting whatever caliber people can shoot well, a lot. Recoil does make a difference.
    And don't forget, a well tuned bow with good broadheads will shoot through any big game animal in AK.

I could not vote since .500 A-Square was not listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Got a picture of said rifle? How's the recoil?

Default Uhhmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Haha! Gooder.

My new fav might be the Bushmaster that I just received today, 6 magazines, 2 scopes, more holes the merrier if everyone else thinks that the big rifles rule.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Wheres the .308

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I voted for the 7mm Mag. but I have 5 other All-around rifles, 30-30, 7mm Mauser, 280 Rem, and 338 Win.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I voted for the 338 Win mag. It seems to be the cartirdge that is THE medium bore magnum staple. Almost everyone who has lived here for a long time has one or has had one.
    Once you get away from Los Anchorage, the 338 Win Mag is about as big as it gets out in the villages.

Personally I love the 358 Norma Mag as I think it is a touch better than the 338wm and it would have done much better had it been marketed correctly 50 years ago. Alaska and Canada are the last hold-outs for the 358 Norma.

Odd that you have the 416 Rem Mag and not the 458 Win Mag. I have only seen one or two guys actually hunt with a 416 rem mag. Heck there are a lot more 45-70s out there in the field than either...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast