Thread: looking for a new pack, any suggestions

Default looking for a new pack, any suggestions

Im looking to get a new pack for this upcoming season. I've been using an Eberlestock Justone for the past 3 years. Its a great pack and I've really enjoyed it. I really like how i can put everything i need for a week long trip in it with room to spare. The only thing is it's a little on the heavy side weighing in at 7.5 pounds. Looking to drop a few pounds on my next one and still have enough room for a week long trip. Wanna stay in the $500 price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated and please add pro and cons. TIA

Are you looking for a heavy hauling pack for moose and such? If so, most around here would suggest the Barney's pack, including myself. But, they are comparatively heavy. I looked into the Stone Glacier pack for a lightweight load hauler. I don't have any actual experience with it though.

If light is what you're after then you want to look Mystery Ranch, Kifaru or Kuiu. If dead nuts strong and able to carry everything you want, then Barney's Yukon or Pinnacle. Yeah they're expensive but they're all worth it. I have a barney's hunter pack and love it. I've carried stupid amounts of weight in my barney's before and the pack was great, it was the legs under it I was worried about.

if you want to drop a few pounds from 7.5 you will need to increase your budget some. Ounces cost $$$.

Dropping pounds gives you a few choices:Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Pack, Kifaru Bikini w/ Highcamp bag, or a Paradox by SeekOutside. The bag choices on the Kifaru may not let you get all that light as compared to the SG and Paradox and Exo pack systems.

I have a Paradox and really like it. It reduces the strain on my lower lumbar area making heavy loads more tollerable. I can't haul more than 100 pounds right now, but the pack can handle much heavier loads.

I'd recommend a Stone Glacier pack for lightweight stuff. If you're looking at really heavy hauling where the weight of the pack itself isn't that big of an issue, I'd go with Barney's.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Barney's "Hunter" pack last year. Have taken it on a couple hunts, and it has performed very well. No complaints whatsoever... So far

Thats my two cents.

Hard to stay within your budget.
    For a traditional frame pack I love my Barney's with the bag of your choice.
    For something closer to what you are used to I Love my Kifaru Duplex frame with the Highcamp 7000 bag. I also have the Eberlestock Just One & the difference between the Kifaru & the Eberlestock is night & day on feel with the same weight. The Eberlestock was good until I used the Kifaru. I wouldn't go back to the Eberlestock by choice now.
    The Kifaru (or Barney's) won't drop you enough weight over the Eberlestock to worry about, but the comfort level with any load over 50# is well worth the price of admission.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonp2 View Post
    it's a little on the heavy side weighing in at 7.5 pounds. Looking to drop a few pounds on my next one and still have enough room for a week long trip. Wanna stay in the $500 price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated and please add pro and cons.
    Kuiu Icon 7200 are on clearance for 400$
    Pros: Light, within budget
    Cons: Some owners have brought up durability issues

Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 for 450$
    Prosurability issues fixed, even lighter than original model, also within budget. Cavernous.
    Cons: Too many pockets? I'll let you know when I find a real con, I really like mine so far.

I upgraded from an older model Kifaru Timberline 2 (5200) because of the swap-ability of the external bags, the price, and the volume/weight. The Kuiu packs may not be able to handle as much as the frame packs but like Winibezold said: pack will handle it, legs... maybe... I don't really want to be hauling more than 120 pounds for any serious distance either horizontal or vertical.

I've had multiple barneys packs, a mystery ranch, and a stone glacier.

Hands down i love the stone glacier more than the rest. My sky 7400 is only 4.27 lbs and is a load hauling machine.

What you should do is call Kurt Racicot of stone glacier and talk packs. He won't throw his product at you and will discuss all the other packs on the market as well as help you decide what fits your needs best.

I can't recommend kuiu packs, I've seen a lot of broken kuiu frames.

I have a Stone glacier sky 7400 and a Kifaru bikini frame with high camp 7000 bag in Fairbanks if you'd like to check them out.

There are packs to be had in that price range used. Keep an eye out on some of the other forums. 24hrcampfire and rokslide to name a couple
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Or scout CL for a used Dana Designs pack (Terraplane is good choice) , get a good used one for <$150, and have a pack thats made in Bozeman and will outlast most of us.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Bullpacs has a backpack frame that goes with the military Allison packs. Frames sell under $300. new web site too. Worth a look. Looks are free. http://bullpacs

Bullpacs has a nice youtube video showing off there packs. need help with links.

If you like the system the Just One uses to expand to carry larger loads I would suggest a Stone Glacier. The Sky series is very similar to what you're used to with the Just One.

I'm using a Stone Glacier Terminus with an Approach attached. I load up the Terminus with all of my gear that will stay in camp and drop that pack when I get to base camp. Then, I just spike out with the Approach. The draw back to my system is the price point is over what you're looking to spend because it's two pack bags.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I've had multiple barneys packs, a mystery ranch, and a stone glacier.

Hands down i love the stone glacier more than the rest. My sky 7400 is only 4.27 lbs and is a load hauling machine.

What you should do is call Kurt Racicot of stone glacier and talk packs. He won't throw his product at you and will discuss all the other packs on the market as well as help you decide what fits your needs best.

I can't recommend kuiu packs, I've seen a lot of broken kuiu frames.
    Spot on! I've had several Kifaru packs, and they build a very nice pack, but if you're looking for something a few lbs. lighter than what you already have, I would highly recommend Stone Glacier. I would also recommend checking out Paradox packs (Seek Outside), I've played around with one of there's a little, they're nice packs, and well within your price point.