Thread: Lynx Ear Tufts

Default Lynx Ear Tufts

Question: What purpose do they serve? I've read possibility that they might be used like whiskers feel above its head, or possibly they may help them hear in some way. In my opinion none these explanations seem to make sense from an adaptation point of view. Maybe God just wanted them to look cool. I know a caracal in Africa has them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Question: What purpose do they serve? I've read possibility that they might be used like whiskers feel above its head, or possibly they may help them hear in some way. In my opinion none these explanations seem to make sense from an adaptation point of view. Maybe God just wanted them to look cool. I know a caracal in Africa has them as well.
    The answer to your question is >>>>>Sound-Vibrations<<<<<, They use it like "Radar".

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Sound vibrations makes sense, but I've also heard that they're there to distract prey by drawing the attention from their eyes to the 'tufts' above their head that can look like natural grass? I'm not sure about that explanation, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.