Thread: Topographical Survey Maps

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Topographical Survey Maps

Where can I buy Topographical Survey Maps?

I used to buy them all the time, but it's been years, and I dunno where they sell them now, or if they are still available.

With the kind I usta get, there were Large ones for a Region, then smaller ones for a specific area in the region. I use Google maps to a small extent, but I'm not good at it, and they aren't clear.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

UAF Geophysical Library and APU University Geography library.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

I used to buy them all the time, but it's been years, and I dunno where they sell them now, or if they are still available.

With the kind I usta get, there were Large ones for a Region, then smaller ones for a specific area in the region. I use Google maps to a small extent, but I'm not good at it, and they aren't clear.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North

I think your referring to the old 7.5 minute Quad Maps…. These can still be ordered online http://nationalmap.gov/alaska/ami_ustopo.html

Nowadays…. though you get more bang for your buck with computer software... I am personally familiar with the National Geographic series for the state of Alaska… its nice to be able to print out any scale you desire, plus you have the ability to digitally overlay modern satellite imagery… At one point in time I had all the old Quad Maps in a PDF Format.. Ill look for it and let you know.

http://mytopo.com/products/quad-maps...m?state=Alaska Here is 1 more place you can select and order the particular quad sheet you want for 12 bucks a pop
    Last edited by AlaskanTides; 02-01-2015 at 20:30. Reason: Additional link

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    UAF Geophysical Library and APU University Geography library.

Hmm, it was out there at APU in Anch. that I got them last time I got some.

I can give them a call tomorrow and ask.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    I think your referring to the old 7.5 minute Quad Maps…. These can still be ordered online http://nationalmap.gov/alaska/ami_ustopo.html

Nowadays…. though you get more bang for your buck with computer software... I am personally familiar with the National Geographic series for the state of Alaska… its nice to be able to print out any scale you desire, plus you have the ability to digitally overlay modern satellite imagery… At one point in time I had all the old Quad Maps in a PDF Format.. Ill look for it and let you know.

http://mytopo.com/products/quad-maps...m?state=Alaska Here is 1 more place you can select and order the particular quad sheet you want for 12 bucks a pop
    I dunno if we're talkin bout the same thing. All I know, is they were topographical. I believe I would hafta go to a place and using an index of some sort pick out the exact spots that I'm interested in.

I do a lotta things OnLine, bug I think that getting them OnLine is a bit beyond my capabilities. I have the Book of Maps from Delorme I think. I got it at Costco when they were the rage, but what I need is the smaller ones, like I usta get a LONG time ago.

Thank You for the Info.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, I think the map place over by the college did away with all their maps last year. Believe there were some threads on here about it. Maybe someone on here will chime in on that.
    Dont know if u have a smart phone or not. ( probably not, but...) if so.... There is great free app that allows u to have any (and many many) topo maps of anywhere in Ak., AND they can travel with u where ever u (and phone) go even when u have NO cell phone coverage. Essentially, not only do u have any topo map U want, it also works as a GPS that shows where u are at complete with coordinates etc. There are threads on this subject on the forum. What say u? Interested?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Smitty, I think the map place over by the college did away with all their maps last year. Believe there were some threads on here about it. Maybe someone on here will chime in on that.
    Dont know if u have a smart phone or not. ( probably not, but...) if so.... There is great free app that allows u to have any (and many many) topo maps of anywhere in Ak., AND they can travel with u where ever u (and phone) go even when u have NO cell phone coverage. Essentially, not only do u have any topo map U want, it also works as a GPS that shows where u are at complete with coordinates etc. There are threads on this subject on the forum. What say u? Interested?
    I do have a smart phone, but it's smarter than I am.

I can bring up a map of where I am, etc. However, I'm pretty sure I hafta be OnLIne for it to work. And that means not just telephone service, but Data Service also.

And, of course, the App you speak of would hafta be for Android, because that's the OS I'm using. Plus map data on the phone would seem to take up a lotta space.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I do have a smart phone, but it's smarter than I am.
    I can bring up a map of where I am, etc. However, I'm pretty sure I hafta be OnLIne for it to work. And that means not just telephone service, but Data Service also.
    And, of course, the App you speak of would hafta be for Android, because that's the OS I'm using. Plus map data on the phone would seem to take up a lotta space.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Negative on the 'hafta be online' thingy. And very little space is used. That's why this app is so cool. No internet needed cuz the map itself is already downloaded and stored on your phone. The ONLY thing is u have to have ALREADY downloaded the pic of the topo map on your phone BEFORE u leave home. ( so that it is already stored there). I have probably 20 topo maps of various Ak locations on mine.
    You need NO cell phone coverage cuz the pic of the topo map is a STORED picture. ( even U know u can store a thousand pics on your phone). Now, I do use an IPHONE but I would suspect this can be done for Androids too.
    Gotta say these apps are the bomb. Snow machining in the middle of nowhere... Turn on your map app phone and bingo. Shows where U ARE with a blue dot on the topo map. Shows how far away the other maps are from where your location is. Can also leave cookie crumbs for your movement on the topo. Give mileage measurements , time travelled and other stuff. But I know for now U just are interested in the topo map aspect. I'm no computer wizard myself. This is worth a look.

Here's a link to forum thread that an android topo app was suggested. This thread did not go into to much detail about the app but the link I posted in THAT thread is one that discussed WHAT these type of apps do, to a much further extent. I had started asking about an iPhone app a year earlier. Got great info on that subject from many on here.
    Ive used my FREE app for a couple yrs now and love it.
    Smitty, there is only a small learning curve with these apps. And anyhow, surely U got some young uns running about that could assist w download and basics?!
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=Android+map

Handheld GPS units have made paper quadrangle maps obsolete. Government agencies are migrating away from paper based maps. Handheld GPS can use quad maps as a background layer, where you can "see" your position in real time against the base map. These GPS units are waterproof, tough, portable, affordable, and accurate to a dozen or so feet. I've used these handhelds to navigate on the job, and even have several for the motorcycle and car when on vacation. The really nice units are used in avionics. The handheld GPS units really shine for navigating in the backcountry (off the grid).

Smartphone GPS navigation is also available, and I have used Google maps when lost in a strange city. The IPhone does OK here, but the phone is not waterproof, fragile, and has a short battery life.

Map and compass, when all else fails, is bombproof (provided you know how to use a compass and navigate by topo map). And with paper maps, you got yourself some firestarter or toilet paper in a pinch.

The LosAnchorage store is out of business. The only USGS map store left is in the UAF Geophysical building. 474-6155 M-F 8:00 to 5:00 https://www.asf.alaska.edu/maps-photography/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Chimo Guns in Wasilla used to carry the maps, so you might try them. That is where I used to get all of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The LosAnchorage store is out of business. The only USGS map store left is in the UAF Geophysical building. 474-6155 M-F 8:00 to 5:00 https://www.asf.alaska.edu/maps-photography/
    OK, Thank You, I'll call them.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Chimo Guns in Wasilla used to carry the maps, so you might try them. That is where I used to get all of mine.
    Yeah, I might.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Here's a link to forum thread that an android topo app was suggested. This thread did not go into to much detail about the app but the link I posted in THAT thread is one that discussed WHAT these type of apps do, to a much further extent. I had started asking about an iPhone app a year earlier. Got great info on that subject from many on here.
    Ive used my FREE app for a couple yrs now and love it.
    Smitty, there is only a small learning curve with these apps. And anyhow, surely U got some young uns running about that could assist w download and basics?!
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=Android+map
    As time permits, I shall pursue such an AP.

My Smawt Phone pretty good size, bout as big as they get, but I hafta say those lil bitty screens make it tuff for me.

Thank You kindly for the info and suggestions.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

As time permits, I shall pursue such an AP.
    My Smawt Phone pretty good size, bout as big as they get, but I hafta say those lil bitty screens make it tuff for me.
    Thank You kindly for the info and suggestions.
    SOTN
    i hear ha on the little screen. Fortunately a guy is allowed to zoom, but yeah, nothing like looking at a big paper map. I love maps.
    And for this quote from above,,,,"
    "Smartphone GPS navigation is also available, and I have used Google maps when lost in a strange city. The IPhone does OK here, but the phone is not waterproof, fragile, and has a short battery life." UNQUOTE.
    I find this paragraph to be untrue. My iPhone has a waterproof almost bulletproof case that has withstood ME abusing it in the construction trade for two full years now. With my 12 volt charger it is in no danger of power loss when I ride snogo. The map app is cheaper than one would pay for just a couple paper maps. You can have gobs of maps with u at all times. And it shows where u are on the map and how far way U are from your other maps U have loaded on your phone.
    One guy I met in the mts last winter showed me an app called "Trimble" that looked really great.
    Good luck w your pursuit, Smitty!

Heard that the Alaska Geographic store at Ship Creek is selling some of the more common USGS Topo maps.

If you have a pretty good printer, or know someone who has a printer that does 11x17, you might look into the USGS maps online. You can look at their map, pick the location you are interested in, and download the pdf. We printed them out and put water-proofing material on them. Lot easier to look at than a little screen. We had our fill of looking at a little screen when we were messing with the GPS.