Thread: Pentax PF65 EDA II and XW14mm combo report

Default Pentax PF65 EDA II and XW14mm combo report

I have only had about 30 minutes over the past week to check out the new scope but man this thing is impressive.

It is super bright, resolves amazing detail, color and contrast even at 2, 3 or 5 miles. I can count mailboxes lined up at 2 miles easy. and.... I can see the bicycle on the bicycle crossing road sign. I can see individual dark red fence slats on a picket fence in dark green grass. I can see the frame of a bicyle and tell the color while a person is riding it. I can read 6 inch high lettering (green on yellow background). All this while at the same time having some mirage/heat waves. I can see all the stripes on our US flag flowing in the breeze from 3 miles away. It's a small flag also. about 4 ft long. I can see a wooden cross on a grave site made from six in logs, dark brown with a tan/green background area from 3 miles also. At 5 miles I can see deck railing and details of houses. I google earthed all the distances and drove to some of the items I have observed. I'm considering and additonal eyepiece for higher magnificaiton but part of me is wondering if I even really need more than 28x that the XW14 gives. It just resolves so much detail they way it is. I'm not sure higher mag would give any benefit. Might just magnify more atmosphere and mirage. I guess I just have the "mo powa is betta" mind set which may not be true.

The scope weighs 38ozs and the Pentax XW14mm eyepices weighs 13ozs and comes with a nice cordura stayon case. 51 ozs total.

I plan to buy one of these but may opt for last year's PF65ED along with the XW14 eyepiece. There is about $100 difference in cost and from what I understand, there is not much difference in performance. The newer model is supposed to have a bit of an advantage in edge sharpness.
    What is your opinion? . . and thanks

Ya, that's what I heard also. In fact most, if not all the reviews and guys I talked to have the first verison of the scope. I have not compared them side by side. You won't be disapointed. If I can clearly see a bicycle frame (and handlebars) at 2 miles, I ought to be able to see sheep horns! And man, what a huge field of view! It's not like looking down a straw. And, with the XW 14 (which is a big eyepiece) is fits in the scope cover perfect. And it is very well balanced. Not heavy toward either end.

Oh, I was looking at a telephone pole that had to be atleast a half mile away and could clearly see all the grain etc. in the wood. The contrast and detail is really amazing. It might actually give a guy the ability to count rings.

Default Update..

I have spent about 2 hours behind it total so far and no matter how hard I try I just cannot find anything wrong with this scope and eyepiece combo. It is bright, bright, bright, crystal clear, sharp and the contrast and definition is excellent. The FOV is huge at 70 degrees. When you look into that eyepiece it's like falling in to the image. I stopped in at SW and took another look through the PF 65 there with the Pentax XF zoom, outside this time. No comparison to the XW eyepiece. But then again it's apples and oranges.

I went up to the univerity the other day and started looking around. Conditions were sunny, windy and about 70-75 degrees. Some heat mirage and a little tripod vibration. I was looking at the construction of the new airport over 3 miles away. I could cleary see the iron that is going up and then realized I could see an aluminum ladder leaning up against it. I could see the uprights and the crossbars of the ladder. I could see landing gear struts on a Beaver at the East Ramp. I could also see the small gray insulators on the tops of power poles AND could see the power lines.

At 1.5 miles I could see the white rubber grips on the end of a girls chrome bicycle handle bars and I could clearly see the torquoise frame AND the forks right to where they attached to the front hub.

So, I have been in the mind set that I need an additional eyepiece with more magnification for when conditions permit but after being able to see the details I can with this scope I don't see where it would help much if any. More mag equals less light and more distortion. I can't beleive I can see all this detail with "only" 28 power. I guess it's not magnification that gives you the best image. However, I'm still trying to get past the "more mag is better" mentality. Will I ever learn??? Maybe I just have scope power lust?!?! Or maybe I've heard to much hype about the 20-60 zooms. Either way, if I can see this kind of detail I should be able to tell if a ram is close to full curl from 3 miles away, pretty definate from 2 miles and at 1.5 or less there will be no prob. Plus the whole combo is waterproof, fits nicely in it's view through case, has a lifetime warranty, weighs 51ozs and cost less than 800 bucks. I think I'll be happy. Now if I can just get rid of this scope power lust ...
    Last edited by Snyd; 06-27-2007 at 10:20.