View Poll Results: How many traps do you have set out?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • About a half a dozen

2 10.53%
  • About a dozen

3 15.79%
  • Close to 25

1 5.26%
  • Close to 50

4 21.05%
  • Close to 75

3 15.79%
  • Close to 100

4 21.05%
  • Close to 150

0 0%
  • Close to 200

1 5.26%
  • Close to 250

1 5.26%
  • More than 300

0 0%

Thread: How many traps do you typically run?

Default How many traps do you typically run?

I know there is a lot of variance here. Everything from the guy who traps for a living to the average Joe like me who just likes to get out there and experiment with a few traps every once in awhile. I was just curious to see how many traps most set out in a typical winter trapline in Alaska. I got a friend who probably runs a couple hundred traps or more at any given time during the trapping season. Me, I don't have time to run a trapline like that and occasionally if I find an area that looks good I might set out a few traps. I doubt I have ever set more than a dozen traps out at any time. So how about it? How many traps do you have out? Also, it would interesting to know how long your trapline is to compare number of traps to miles of trapline.

I have a 42 mile loop trapline. Every year is different wether it be population drop of species or too much or in this years case not enough snow, will depend how much line I get out and how many traps I set. Along with that is maintenance is a bugger. I spend WAY more time maintaining and improving my trail then I do trapping at this time. Also you have to count in effect of what I call "dead spots" where you won't even find a rabbit track. These spots range from a mile on up to 10 miles on my line. This year I only have 17 miles set as there simple isn't enough snow. I am beating the heck out of my sled AND body. As far as the amount of sets, that depends on what and where your "pockets" of game are. Off the top of my head I believe I have in the range of 50 sets out. That is a mixed bag of sets for lynx, mink, marten, otter, beaver, wolf & fox. This year I have picked up something just about every trip though #'s are down, way down. I am getting out more for adventure, challenge and maintenance on the trapline then anything. I am very lucky just to break even at the end of the season....

I have a short walking line with about 8 traps on it, kinda figured if I got some animals I would expand it next year. ( looks like I'm going to be looking for a new spot next year!)

BWJack, when I was in my prime running fox and coon lines in IL I had a run that was 200 miles daily by truck. I never ranged farther than about 50 miles from home but there are a lot of miles put on going "in and out" of spots... I would run up to 400 traps or so... About half were 220 conibears...
    This year I ran an avg of 37 miles and from end to end it was about 8 or 9 miles, again a lot of backtracking miles.. ran 40 plus coon sets and 20 or so coyote and fox sets... Most of it in the dark before work, that takes a lot of the fun out of it...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    BWJack, when I was in my prime running fox and coon lines in IL I had a run that was 200 miles daily by truck. I never ranged farther than about 50 miles from home but there are a lot of miles put on going "in and out" of spots... I would run up to 400 traps or so... About half were 220 conibears...
    This year I ran an avg of 37 miles and from end to end it was about 8 or 9 miles, again a lot of backtracking miles.. ran 40 plus coon sets and 20 or so coyote and fox sets... Most of it in the dark before work, that takes a lot of the fun out of it...
    Holy crap Smokey! You the man.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I have a 42 mile loop trapline. Every year is different wether it be population drop of species or too much or in this years case not enough snow, will depend how much line I get out and how many traps I set. Along with that is maintenance is a bugger. I spend WAY more time maintaining and improving my trail then I do trapping at this time. Also you have to count in effect of what I call "dead spots" where you won't even find a rabbit track. These spots range from a mile on up to 10 miles on my line. This year I only have 17 miles set as there simple isn't enough snow. I am beating the heck out of my sled AND body. As far as the amount of sets, that depends on what and where your "pockets" of game are. Off the top of my head I believe I have in the range of 50 sets out. That is a mixed bag of sets for lynx, mink, marten, otter, beaver, wolf & fox. This year I have picked up something just about every trip though #'s are down, way down. I am getting out more for adventure, challenge and maintenance on the trapline then anything. I am very lucky just to break even at the end of the season....
    Thanks for your input Steve. Just curious, do you run your water sets (mink, otter, and beaver) at the same time you run your lynx fox and wolf sets? If so, how do you keep your water sets from freezing up?

Yep run them all. All sets except beaver are above the ice, no open water unless I find a freshly blowned out muskrat pushup by an otter. Then I set a 330 over the hole. All mink/ermine sets are usually under bank sets as they travel the edges of frozen creeks, lakes, ponds. I have my usual lynx cubbys that I set every year along with my trail sets so I snap those traps shut and leave them for following year. Everything else I set on sign. Thats why it's important to have a variety of trap sizes, baits, and lures on you at all times. Hope this helps..

This year I am running two, small separate lines, each about 10 mile long loops. I will have 4 to 6 sets on each of them. I'm still a pretty green trapper, but this has allowed me to get more practice in with a variety of sets, terrain, and targets.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Hope this helps..
    Yep. It does. Thanks.