Thread: Vehicles on the ice

Default Vehicles on the ice

OK can someone please fill me in on this question and hopefully a wildlife trooper will chime in. What the hell is the difference whether I take truck, car, snowmobile, a side x side or 4wheeler on the ice? If I'm allowed to take my truck out there then why wouldn't I be able to use another type?

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    OK can someone please fill me in on this question and hopefully a wildlife trooper will chime in. What the hell is the difference whether I take truck, car, snowmobile, a side x side or 4wheeler on the ice? If I'm allowed to take my truck out there then why wouldn't I be able to use another type?
    I'm gonna guess you're refering to a specific lake... And I'm gonna guess the answer is going to be "because that's what the reg says for that particular lake", whether you agree with it or not.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

yeah, it would be some of the lakes down here on the Kenai. like Hidden, Watson, Skilak and the like. I know it is the KWR but if a car or truck why not a 4 wheeler or side by side? Just doesn't make sense to not allow a lighter weight and less eviromental damage and less risk of life should it go through the ice. just my 2 cents...

SOME ONE IN CHARGED THAT MADE UP THE RULES HAD A BONE TO PICK AGAINSE THE SMALLER ATV OR SNOWMACHINE , DID NOT CARE ABOUT CARS AN TK'S EVEN A HOME OWNER ON THE LAKE COULD INFLUNCE THE POWERS TO BE TO THAT MADE THE RULES, AN NO ONE GRIPED AGAINST IT
    LOOK AT SOME OF THE MAT SUE LAKES, THE RULES THAT GOT PASSED ON THEM ARE CRAZY, my point of view , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    SOME ONE IN CHARGED THAT MADE UP THE RULES HAD A BONE TO PICK AGAINSE THE SMALLER ATV OR SNOWMACHINE , DID NOT CARE ABOUT CARS AN TK'S EVEN A HOME OWNER ON THE LAKE COULD INFLUNCE THE POWERS TO BE TO THAT MADE THE RULES, AN NO ONE GRIPED AGAINST IT
    LOOK AT SOME OF THE MAT SUE LAKES, THE RULES THAT GOT PASSED ON THEM ARE CRAZY, my point of view , SID
    stop shouting
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

you will have to pardon my shouting I am an OLD FART & HARD OF HEARING SID

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    stop shouting
    You have got to be kidding your buddy bushrat has been shouting at every body on this forum for many years. Not one time have you told him to stop shouting. Sid does it one time and you tell him to stop shouting. Sid must not be a friend of yours.

There is a difference between SHOUTING and shouting.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

On the lakes in question AKA Hidden,Skilak,Engineer etc. it is that trucks/cars and snowmachines are listed as traditional means of transport on these lakes.
    Since ATV's and SXSsides are newer and came about after this area became a refuge due to ANILCA's passage in 1980 they are not listed the same way.
    I don't agree with it but the law is the law and the refuge likes to make up their own rules anyway.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

LOUD NOISES but seriously I wish I could run my sled down to the far end of hidden. Something about that lake scares me to drive my truck on it even if their is 3 feet of ice, which their isn't right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    ...the refuge likes to make up their own rules anyway.
    Bingo!
    One would think that if you can take a snowmachine out on Skilak, you could on Hidden, but no.
    One would think that if you can take a truck out Hidden, you could on Skilak, but no (unless you have a residence there).
    One would think that if you can take a snowmachine up Finger Lakes Road in the winter, that you should be able to take a mountain bike, but no (and the ranger or "rangerette", more likely, who passes you in his/her truck on that road will bust you if you do!).
    There really is no rhyme or reason for it. It is just rules. They love rules. It keeps the common guy guessing and cowed.