Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway Caribou update 1/30/15

Default Denali Highway Caribou update 1/30/15

Went to town on a mail run yesterday. Saw at least 500 caribou, and all within shooting distance of the highway! Seen them between MP 90 and 110 mostly. Even seen several bulls that still had racks! Not even sure if the season is still open, but there's some easy groceries to be had!
    Claude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Aww, geez! I love that road this time of year. Mushed a lot of miles up there one winter.

Thanks for the pics.

Jim~

"Click'ity-Clicks with What was called "Blue Meat".

Thanks for the update and photo. Unit remains open for caribou. I may assist a couple folks with filling their tags in Unit 13 later this month...I hope it is above zero while we're there so it is more enjoyable

Are you running any "hunter specials" at the lodge?

Your JK is AWESOME!!!! Wish I had tracks like that on mine!!! sorry to be off topic but very sick looking Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    Thanks for the update and photo. Unit remains open for caribou. I may assist a couple folks with filling their tags in Unit 13 later this month...I hope it is above zero while we're there so it is more enjoyable
    Well sure it's still open and probably will be untill end of season. Wouldn't want to deprive anyone of the 2 for 1 caribou special.... Shoot the one walking and you get a bonus near fully developed calf as well.

Those calves almost fit in the smoker whole...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Temps finally climbed above zero last night. It's running a great 15 today! That was the longest cold spell we've had here at the lodge. Coldest night was -23. Our record low came a couple of years ago at -28. Cold spell started on January 18th, and ended yesterday. Now, temps are coming up, snow is coming down and caribou are running all over!
    Thanks on the Jeep! That thing is awesome. Jennifer, Chrissy and Ania do all the town runs now, so I can just stay in the woods full time! Life is great!

Claude

Claude,

Have you ever run those Jeep tracks during warmer weather over trails or tundra?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Hey Claude, seen ya on TV last night getting furs sealed at the lodge on Alaska State Troopers. Can I get a autogragh??

Dave,
    I haven't tried them yet in the warm spring stuff with the Jeep, So we'll see how that goes when the time comes. I don't force a problem, as I had it out in the early October 15 inches of snow we had. It just went through like butter!
    I just seen it this morning Steve! Yeah, they finally got that thing on TV. The first AST show where not all the stories were of people being busted! And the illegal traps he found were not ours!
    Claude

Oh I knew those weren't your traps, but I did wonder if it wasn't almost staged. Trappers know better then bait like that, especially in a public looking trail for all to see. Good to see you and your boy on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Those calves almost fit in the smoker whole...
    I've been waiting all week for stid to post a few pictures of one on a stick over a campfire, or maybe on a plate with some NEW potatoes, YOUNG tender greens, and BABY peas!!
    But he's probably busy looking for his Medallions of Marmot pictures and recipe for another thread.

I love that jeep too. I've seen it parked on the Cantwell side of the hwy. I thought it was Jeff Kings though. I've also seen it at the chevron station. I was curious about the steering? Is it difficult to turn? How is it on gas? I've been thinking of putting tracs on my fourwheeler. Love the big rigs!!!

Jeff has a tan jeep, ours is white. He left his parked down at the Chevron for part of the winter. The steering is really easy. Of course, you have to be moving to get it to steer, as it would be tough if you tried to do it without moving. Gas mileage is not good. 3 to 4 miles to gallon at best. But if I can get 5 people in and a bunch of supplies in one trip without having to take several snow machines back and forth, it's a good deal.
    Did have an issue two days ago. Jennifer was driving through some overflow on the highway, the jeep broke through, and it rolled the track all the way upside down and ripped the fender off. Took me 7 hours at 10 degrees standing in 2 feet of water to get it fixed and back on the road. That was fun stuff! But that was human error, so can't blame the tracks. At least now I can put bigger tires on it in the summer without those pesky fenders!

Wow! what a task! You da man! I can change a tire and fix some things on my truck but tracks, wouldn't know what to do with them. Bigger tires are good. More clearance, more room to travel. Couldn't quite tell what color the jeep was in that picture. The one I have of Jeff's jeep was taken on a really cloudy day and that made the whole picture look blue. I'm surprised Jeff left his jeep out there where anyone could rip it off. Anyone could have stopped and taken something in the still of the night. That's why I never leave anything on my property out there. Cantwell's a nice town, lot's of great people but you never know who's comin' down that highway.

how are the driving conditions of the road right now? To much snow to go for a short drive with my little boy? Just curious. I don't live very close so I would want to make sure it is decent for a few miles before I head that way.

No chance of driving the highway. Probably 1 to 2 feet of fresh snow all the way across the highway in the last 4 days. It's great snow machining for sure, so if you have one of those, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    No chance of driving the highway. Probably 1 to 2 feet of fresh snow all the way across the highway in the last 4 days. It's great snow machining for sure, so if you have one of those, no problem.
    Have you tried the jeep in that much fresh stuff yet?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yep, Jennifer pulled the drag over it as it was falling with about 18 inches. She had to put it in 4WD, and it worked great. The only reason she had to do the 4WD was because of the drag pulling snow. So far so good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast