Thread: E99 and Icey Crust ski Advice Needed

Default E99 and Icey Crust ski Advice Needed

I am an experienced downhill skier but have limited cross country experience with aspiring but mediocre ability. My cross country skiing is mixed off trail foothills and flats with Madshu 195 Epochs(99-68-78 soft single camber, previously Karhu 10th mtn), voile cable bindings, and Alaska Alpina 75mm 3 pin boots. This set-up works well enough in softer conditions...as much as my skill allows. The only trails are snowmachine tracks, or my own, certainly nothing groomed.

I am thinking of possibly waxable Fischer E99 skis (66-54-61)in 210 for other "glide and cruiser" off trail conditions, same as above but harder snow, where the double camber would be more efficient and faster. I would like to use the same 75mm 3 pin boot and binding also. Dang, one set up of anything just never handles everything!! Any advise on this second set-up is welcome.

I would also appreciate your thoughts on the E99 on really hard, ice, packed concrete type snow because the Epochs are very difficult in these conditions(tough to get an edge to bite) and don't want skate skis at this time.

Thanks for any info.

I've had E99s for 10+ years. I use T3 boots. Bought them for interior touring. In ANC now and don't use them much. They don't work well uphills, or deep snow, which are more common in this area. Not saying they don't work, just not ideal.

As for hardpack, they edge well, but with the camber, not much grip uphill. They are stiffer than Epochs. Epochs are a soft ski, so that's probably your issue.

No ski is perfect for all things, that's why I have seven pairs. Have fun contemplating your next purchase. Email me if you want to borrow them to try them out.

Thanks AKC. For the described uses what are your best 2 or 3 choices in camber and width? I think the Epochs are good for their designed purpose but are surely the wrong tool for other jobs. Would you prefer the wider E109 Fischer or another model for touring the unbroken but packed, crusty snow? I am open to brands and models and was thinking e series because few skis are over 200cm these days with double camber. BTW I am 6'1" and 210 w/o gear so am on the heavier side and stiffness may work out?

Those E109s look nice. I wish I had those instead of my E99s, especially for the Anchorage area. They'd be great for mellower XC ski trips like Arctic-Indian. I think I'm due for an upgrade for my E99s and will look into the E109s, but also check out the similar size and shaped S-bound 78or88s.

In my opinion, the textured base and moderate width Epoch type skis are made for touring in deep snow and only good for turning on mellow terrain. However, in that type of snow and terrain, I have more fun with a light ski with skin setup instead of trying to make turns with a textured base. When I go for turns I prefer to have a good time, not having to fight against a grippy base. So, I think it's best to have a narrow XC ski dedicated for touring, for tours with little chance of making turns. And use flat skis with skins for tours that have opportunities for turns. The efficiency difference of taking on/off the skins vs. using a textured ski is insignificant.

Ditch the three pin on the 99s. Too much drag created by the old-school binding along with the inability to set an edge without digging the binding in...The E99 needs a NNN or SNS backcountry binding and boot. A waxable E99 with it's double camber is a fast ski. There is no kick zone drag or sticking. The single camber fish-scale or grip ski is the slowest type ski on the planet. You are better off with short 'kicker' skins on a single camber.

A bunch of years ago I picked up a pair of Åsnes backcountry touring skis and was quite surprised by how fast they were. Metal edged, waxable, full-length double-camber skis. They no longer make this model but they have a bunch of similar ones. I don't know of any Alaska dealers, though.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Update.
    Just received Asnes Amundsen 208(longest available),waxable ski with the integral kicker skin system.
    These are double camber, 67-57-62, metal edge, and have NNN BC bindings mounted on the skis.
    Got a modest sale price this late in the year from Neptune Mountaineering in Colorado that is the only USA distributor I believe. They have a full range of the Asnes ski line and are knowledgeable thankfully because the literature and website are not in English and a translation chore.
    Could not find any e99 waxables so poked around to find the Asnes skis and they look like very excellent quality.
    May not have much time for them until fall because of other obligations but will give some feedback if I get a chance.
    These skis should be a great BC touring ski and others have taken them to both poles.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Update.
    Just received Asnes Amundsen 208(longest available),waxable ski with the integral kicker skin system.
    These are double camber, 67-57-62, metal edge, and have NNN BC bindings mounted on the skis.
    Got a modest sale price this late in the year from Neptune Mountaineering in Colorado that is the only USA distributor I believe. They have a full range of the Asnes ski line and are knowledgeable thankfully because the literature and website are not in English and a translation chore.
    Could not find any e99 waxables so poked around to find the Asnes skis and they look like very excellent quality.
    May not have much time for them until fall because of other obligations but will give some feedback if I get a chance.
    These skis should be a great BC touring ski and others have taken them to both poles.
    Those Asnes should be fun skis.

Nice to see Neptune's name mentioned. In the way way back I spent countless hours in Gary's shop, and spent most of my income there for a good many years. Good memories and a great community of folks back then. I've skied on E99's most of my life. Got my first pair used from Charlie Fowler. They were the medium blue aluminum edged ones. Those were fantastic skis and I sure wish I still had them...

Please do report back on how the Asnes perform for you.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Update.
    Great! I've been extremely happy with mine - the ones I've got just ski better than most and do better on icy trails than you'd expect.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Those Asnes should be fun skis.

Nice to see Neptune's name mentioned. In the way way back I spent countless hours in Gary's shop, and spent most of my income there for a good many years. Good memories and a great community of folks back then. I've skied on E99's most of my life. Got my first pair used from Charlie Fowler. They were the medium blue aluminum edged ones. Those were fantastic skis and I sure wish I still had them...

Please do report back on how the Asnes perform for you.
    I found a pair of the blue 99s w/alum edges at play it again sports in Fairbanks last Spring! They looked like they had hardly been used. I haven't replaced the original 3pin yet, putting on a Salomon BC binding this Spring...they are 215cm

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I found a pair of the blue 99s w/alum edges at play it again sports in Fairbanks last Spring! They looked like they had hardly been used. I haven't replaced the original 3pin yet, putting on a Salomon BC binding this Spring...they are 215cm
    What a great score! The ones I got from Charlie were 205's. He skied them with 3-pin Asolo double boots, with heal locators on them which prevented any lateral boot movement at all. If you took a twisting fall they would completely tear your knees apart! That's the setup Charlie skied Lamb's Slide with, circa 1980. I'd probably still have them except I left them out in the hot sun one day and one of them warped badly, so I pitched them. : (
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist