Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IPHC rules on halibut

Default IPHC rules on halibut

Here's a quick update I got through contacts regarding some of the issues at IPHC. Be great if someone could verify.

The final TACs in Areas 2C and 3A include the sport charter share. With a total TAC of 4.65 million lbs. in Area 2C, the sport share will be 851,000 lbs (including the charter wastage), leaving 3.679 Mlbs for commercial catch and 120,000 lbs for commercial wastage. For the charter sector, management measures will still be one fish daily bag limit, but the reverse slot limit will be less than or equal to 40 more than or equal to 80 (rather than U40-O80).

For 3A, the sport charter share will be 1.89 Mlbs (including charter wastage) with the following management measures in force.
    Two fish daily bag limit
    One fish of any size, and maximum size of one fish is 29
    One trip per day
    No fishing on Thursdays from June 15 thought August 31
    Five fish annual limit
    That leaves the commercial catch limit for Area 3A at 7.79 Mlbs. plus commercial wastage estimated at 420,000 lbs.
    The proposal to consider lowering the size limit was not adopted. Although implementing a maximum size was discussed (there was an industry proposal on it), it was not adopted. Both measures will be referred to the MSAB for further work.

IPHC

AREA
    2015 blueline
    2014 TAC PAG CONF Board IPHC Final Approved
    2A .75 .96 .960 .960 .970
    2B 4.96 6.85 7.038 7.038 7.038
    2C 4.30 4.16 5.300 5.000 4.65
    3A 10.10 9.43 10.100 10.100 10.10
    3B 2.46 2.84 2.46 2.46 2.65
    4A 1.39 .85 1.39 1.39 1.39
    4B 0.73 1.14 1.14 1.14 1.14
    4CDE 0.52 1.285 1.285 1.285 1.285
    TOTAL 25.22 27.515 29.673 29.563 29.223

so the 5 fish annual limit only applies to charters? Not from private vessel or shore?

So why wouldn't they have at least made it an even number. Someone goes on 2 charters and catches 4/5 they certainly will not go on a 3rd to catch that final fish

So the guys who use charters take it in the shorts again? Wow, this is getting ridiculous. We just might cancel our already planned trip. It just isn't worth the $700+ for my wife and I to bring home 20 lbs of fish. It's really too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    So the guys who use charters take it in the shorts again? Wow, this is getting ridiculous. We just might cancel our already planned trip. It just isn't worth the $700+ for my wife and I to bring home 20 lbs of fish. It's really too bad.
    How do the new regulations change your already planned trip? $700 for the both of you is one charter right? You both can still get 2 fish each, no different than last year. If you can't manage more than 20lbs from four fish, you are on the wrong charter
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Because killing a bunch of 31 inch fish to get one under 29 makes me sick. I saw last year just how many baby fish have to be sorted through to get that fish under 29. I don't want to be part of that. It is a ridiculous rule that punishes the guys who use charters while rewarding the more powerful, commercial side. Hopefully by this time next year I will have my own boat and this won't be an issue for us.

You think $700 is to much, wait till you have your own boat! If with you and your wife only bring home 20lbs of halibut you are on the wrong boat. If you do get your own boat come see me I will save you a lot of time and pain.

So, would this mean if you were to do 5 trips, 5 halibut of any size could be taken?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    So, would this mean if you were to do 5 trips, 5 halibut of any size could be taken?

Well, yes, so long as you only take only per trip.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks, I've got 4 trips booked in august, definitely don't want to cancel any of them. 1 per day is fine with me, especially knowing that second is only going to yield 5 lbs of meat or less.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    You think $700 is to much, wait till you have your own boat! If with you and your wife only bring home 20lbs of halibut you are on the wrong boat. If you do get your own boat come see me I will save you a lot of time and pain.
    Yeah, that is what my wife said, haha! I'm sure we will get more than 20 lbs, and honestly I just love to fish so I'm ok with it even if we don't. I just feel a sense of responsibility for the people who I convince to go on the charter with us.

The way it is going the charter fleet will have to just sell a day of fishing. The boats that do Salmon, Halibut, Rockfish, Lingcod will just not retain halibut on Thursdays. If you want lots of meat go after gray cod no limit and as long as the meat is taken care of it is better then halibut some say.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to be a charter operator.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    It seems to be getting harder and harder to be a charter operator.
    It's actually getting a bit easier, at least here in SE. Everybody is fully booked and turning away lots of groups, and we can keep one halibut under 40". That takes a lot of pressure off of us to make longer runs for the big halibut. Of course we knock the tar out of salmon on a daily basis, and that's what our customers want. If they each can go home with 100lbs of premium, wild alaskan halibut, salmon, rockfish, lingcod, and yellow eye fillets in meal sized vacuum packed portions after 3 days of lodge style fishing, they have enough until they come back the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by mlrtime View Post
    so the 5 fish annual limit only applies to charters? Not from private vessel or shore?
    Correct, the 5 fish annual limit only applies to charter vessels. Joe Public on a private boat are excluded from the annual limits.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by armystrong13d View Post
    So why wouldn't they have at least made it an even number. Someone goes on 2 charters and catches 4/5 they certainly will not go on a 3rd to catch that final fish
    Bingo! It's a way to minimize participation.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I wonder how long its going to be until the commerical sector convinces the board to extend the 5 limit of halibut per year to the private vessel guys as well

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    I wonder how long its going to be until the commerical sector convinces the board to extend the 5 limit of halibut per year to the private vessel guys as well
    Not the halibut guys, the trawlers....and not how much time....How much $$$$$$$
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

As a private vessel angler, I would not be opposed at all to a 5 fish per season limit.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast