Thread: Remote Cabin Staking in Dillingham in February!

Default Remote Cabin Staking in Dillingham in February!

Hi folks,

I am new to posting on here and I wish it was to contribute or help in some way however its quite the opposite. I am having trouble on acquiring transportation from Dillingham AK to the North Part of Snake Lake 20 miles away. I'm 80% sure it will need to be by snow machine pulling a sled. However I dont have the time nor the financial means to fly a snow machine from Anchorage to Dillingham. I have called a few places but no one out there rents snowmachines. It is definately to far to hike in the dead of winter, even with a snow machine its risky. Why go now and not wait till summer? well early bird gets the worm and typically the better staking areas so best be there when it is fair game for staking is my theory! Let me here your ideas, and if any of you live in Dillingham that would be willing to lend a hand or rent a snowmachine I would be beside myself.

Youtube explains a little more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rs3i0xeCt4

-Yukon Sean
    Palmer, AK

Check CL. You might be able to buy a nice machine that is already there. Maybe post an ad of your own. Looking to buy.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks Smoke,

I gave that a try for several months. I broke down and ended up getting a new snow machine. Which wasn't the best idea but at-least it should be reliable. I wanted to save up enough and pay cash but this whole thing I am doing is time sensitive so I just bit the bullet. Ended up getting a Ski-Doo Tundra Sport 550F with articulating track. I will also be pulling an Otter 75x38 inch sled. I custom made the tow-bars for it and it turned out great, that is also being flown to Dillingham. The people at Evert Air Cargo were awesome to work with. ***Now we just need the lakes to freeze or a bunch of snow in that area, fingers crossed ! ! !

How much did it cost to fly it to Dillingham?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Hi Bull,

Dealer took care of it, I did not have a way to transport to the airport. They Charged $700.00 to prep, take to ANC and fly to DLG. So Im sure had I had a trailer I could have save a few dollars but don't think that was very unreasonable. If any of you need to fly cargo apparently now is the time, fuel surcharges are almost nothing and rates are good.

Any other good items to have out in the wilderness for supporting a snowmachine? I have an extra belt and plugs. I have years of experience of 4-Wheelers and Dirtbikes, I have a few hours flying however Almost zero experience with snowmachines. I hope I'm not getting in over my head going on a trek my first time out (5 days). I have my survival gear covered, supplies for 7 days also basic mechanic tools.

Quote Originally Posted by smckenney View Post
    Hi Bull,

Dealer took care of it, I did not have a way to transport to the airport. They Charged $700.00 to prep, take to ANC and fly to DLG. So Im sure had I had a trailer I could have save a few dollars but don't think that was very unreasonable. If any of you need to fly cargo apparently now is the time, fuel surcharges are almost nothing and rates are good.

Any other good items to have out in the wilderness for supporting a snowmachine? I have an extra belt and plugs. I have years of experience of 4-Wheelers and Dirtbikes, I have a few hours flying however Almost zero experience with snowmachines. I hope I'm not getting in over my head going on a trek my first time out (5 days). I have my survival gear covered, supplies for 7 days also basic mechanic tools.
    I'd bring multiple belts, not just one spare. Not sure what your survival gear entails, but I'd bring 10 days rations instead of 7. Losing 2 days this (or any) time of year is almost a given.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Make some contacts out there and horsetrade for info or a travel buddy. With the sketchy winter they have had, Snake Lake is the sketchiest of them all and often goes out earlier, has lots of pressure ridges, and I've seen it actually split in half leaving a 20 to 40 foot swatch of open water shore to shore. North end has several feeders and upwelling areas that make for thin ice. I snowmachined a lot in the DLG area and that area was the one that always had me on high alert. Few routes to get around the lake to the North either, and would again require some insider help.

My .02

AlaskaHippie

Thank you sir and well put this certainly makes good sense, I will adjust for more rations.

Thanks Catch It,

Sent you a message. Yes indeed this will be challenging I appreciate any and all help. I am optimistic that I will get to where I am going, I give myself a 60% chance at best. But I will give it a go but wont hesitate to turn back. If I can avoid running on the lake ice maybe an inland route would ease my mind. Cheers!

Dont forget to budget some time to properly break in your Tundra. Taking a new sled and immediately working it by pulling loads etc is a good way to drastically reduce its engine life. That Tundra will last you a long time if properly cared for.
    good luck out there.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Good point, Yukoner. I think I will have to do a day of playing before getting serious and pulling the sled.

Any luck? Did ya get any land staked?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway