Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle for a small women

Default Rifle for a small women

Hey guys I am trying find a good moose rifle for my wife. She is short and her arms aren't that long so standard size rifles just don't fit her frame. I have looked at several 7mm.08 rifles in youth models and they fit her very well. I'm a bow hunter so finding the right rifle for her is not easy for me. Do they make larger calibers for small people or am I going to have to have something custom made? Now before everyone jumps on me i know shot placement will make up for a smaller bullet but I just want to see what's out there and give her the confidence that she has some stopping power. Thanks for any input.

I have a Weatherby in .270 Win that had the stock professionally shortened. Had a Leupold 3x9 on it. Looks real nice.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The 7-08 will be fine. If a bigger hole makes you more confident, go with a 308.

Most of your "youth and ladies" size models are going to come with a LOP between 12 and 13"... most "full size" rifles are going to be 14".

If you go with a "youth and ladies" you are almost certainly going to have a short action and most of them top out at the .308Win and the 7-08 is pretty common in them as well. It would be easy enough to make one into a .338FED or a .358WIN for pretty reasonable.

If you want a .338WM or a .300WM....you're likely going to have to go custom.

I'd have no qualms about tackling moose with a 7-08 or a .308 and a .338Fed would be fantastic.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I second the 7-08. Past 300 yards it is beating the .308 anyways. Placement is everything, confidence helps. Recoil sensitivity to shooting, not so much.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My wife took her moose (and caribou, bear, and deer) with her 7-08. One shot for each of them. Love, love, love that round.

Or consider the 6.8 SPC-II in an AR-platform with a telescoping stock. If she wants stopping power fire 10 shots in two seconds. And you can use it, or children can use it.

The 7mm08/308 size rounds are plenty for moose and recoil isn't too bad. If she can stand recoil my choice would be a 350 Rem Mag but you have to reload if you want to shoot it much and reach it's potential.

My girlfriend is 5'3" and uses a .30-06 that has had the LOP shortened and a muzzle break added. However I suppose the only real advantage would be if she is ever lucky enough to draw a Bison Tag you can use the .30-06 but not .7mm-08, from my understanding, but is that really a need for that. Also something to consider would be AR platforms as you can get the collapsible butt stock and shorten LOP easily.

I would think anything based on a 308 case and in a youth frame would be just fine. Ruger compact has a good rep.

I own a Rem Model Seven SS 308. Its got the synthetic stock with a shortened LOP. My wife (5'5" @135) really enjoys the rifle, but will admit the light rifle behind the 180gr bullets kicks a little too much to shoot all day. The 308 is mine, but if I were to do it over again for her I think it would be a similar rifle in 7mm-08.

My wife, she is 5'1", has a Savage Model 116 in 338 WM, that has had the stock shortened to fit her. She has taken several moose and caribou with it. The main thing is to make sure that the stock fits her and that she can handle the weight.

Thanks for all the responses you guys this is really helping me make a good educated decision. I am a little worried if she does draw a bison tag, wouldn't that just be my luck.

If your wife can handle a 12 gauge shot gun, she can handle a 30-06/308, but the 7-08 is a great round.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    My wife, she is 5'1", has a Savage Model 116 in 338 WM, that has had the stock shortened to fit her. She has taken several moose and caribou with it. The main thing is to make sure that the stock fits her and that she can handle the weight.
    That my friend, is one tough gal. Kudos to her. I have the same gun but cut it to 20 inches on the barrel......with a full barrel and a short stock I am gonna guess the balance is pretty front heavy? I like how mine performs but to say that I enjoy shooting beyond a pre season sight in would be a stretch. Then again, knowing women, she actually listened to instructions on form and stance making the recoil minimized......I, as a man, just do what I think is right.....and it hurts a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    That my friend, is one tough gal. Kudos to her. I have the same gun but cut it to 20 inches on the barrel......with a full barrel and a short stock I am gonna guess the balance is pretty front heavy? I like how mine performs but to say that I enjoy shooting beyond a pre season sight in would be a stretch. Then again, knowing women, she actually listened to instructions on form and stance making the recoil minimized......I, as a man, just do what I think is right.....and it hurts a little.
    Catch It,

Put a Bell and Carlson stock on that 338 wm. It made a world of difference. Mine has the factory muzzle brake that can be turned on/off. With the brake open at the range my buddies wife (5'7" 115lbs) has no problems with it. It kicks less than his Tikka T3 super lite in 270. The stock came with a decelerator pad and that whole package just works.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I would think anything based on a 308 case and in a youth frame would be just fine. Ruger compact has a good rep.
    AKhardwater,

Don't overlook this seemingly innocuous comment. Ruger American Compact in .308 might be the ticket. It's inexpensive, it's lighter, and it's a 12.5" LOP. You may have made up your mind, but if you haven't this is an option you should at least check out.

Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate....

http://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLam...ct/models.html

Sobie2

Wife won a .308 in the savage 116 lady'd model, haven't shot it yet, but it fits her good. It is not tiny, but is specifically made for women. Youtube has some vids on it.

The Remington model 7 in 708 would be a good one

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast