Thread: thoughts on the 325wsm

Default thoughts on the 325wsm

Have owned my savage for 5 years now. Love it, and its taken black bears, moose, caribou and mt goats all with great success. Finding ammo over the past two years has been darn near impossible though. Did get a couple boxes of double tap 200 grain accubonds from midway last year. Today I was finally able get 200 grain accubonds from midway to reload.

Thoughts on the future of this caliber? Finding ammo in Anchorage, or anywhere I look has been a real issue.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I don't think the future is too bright for production of this cartridge, but I think a guy can get enough components to last a long long time. I don't consider my .325 a practice gun. I have a accurate load dialed in, and I have plenty of brass and bullets to load enough hunting bullets for years to come. This is a gun I will shoot once before hunting season to check zero and then it's good to go. If you want to shoot this cartridge a lot, then I think components or factory ammo will get harder and harder to find
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Nothing wrong with the cartridge. I shoot a 358N but I don't expect to find ammo or brass on the shelf at the local gun store. Bullets aren't too hard to find but I found a way to make those as well as the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I don't think the future is too bright for production of this cartridge, but I think a guy can get enough components to last a long long time. I don't consider my .325 a practice gun. I have a accurate load dialed in, and I have plenty of brass and bullets to load enough hunting bullets for years to come. This is a gun I will shoot once before hunting season to check zero and then it's good to go. If you want to shoot this cartridge a lot, then I think components or factory ammo will get harder and harder to find
    Agree on future of production, and that is really my main question. Like you, I put 5 rounds in each year to make sure I'm on zero, then it goes into the field. With bullets I just bought, and factory ammo I've been able to coble together, I have enough to hunt for the next 10 years, so I guess I'm good with this rifle. If things go south, I can always go back to the trusty win mag!

The 325 WSM is the only WSM I have yet to own. A guy that used to be in my unit has one and loves the thing, or so I hear. I do think the ammo supply may eventually dry up all together, as the 7mm WSM seems to be doing just that as well. As long as you have plenty of brass and reload, I think you will be just fine though. I have been debating if I want to go the 338 WM route or the 325 WSM route here lately. I could use a dedicated bear gun.

The 325 Winchester Short Magnum was born looking for a place to die. It's an excellent round and isn't a problem to reload; and if you intend to keep one for the long haul get components NOW ! The production of a proprietary cartridge almost insures that the competitive gun companies won't adopt the round if they have an alternate available . That only leaves small custom style manufacturers and affiliated manufactures (Winchester & Browning) and short runs. The WSM , WSSM, RCM, RUM are an example of the field that is withering. HECK, I now own two of these and have owned a lot of them in the past, I reload...! Pick the round/gun combo you like and wear it out....!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Why the short mag instead of a standard length action? Are you making a light weight, high powered rifle? If you don't really care about the little bit of extra weight then some of the more popular cartridges would do just fine. There is not a lick of difference in the 325 WSM compared to the 338 WM ballistically, both shooting a 200g Accubond. And since you have a 300 WSM (I assume from your post) there might not be much of a practical difference between those two either. If you are not interested in shooting over 300 yards, the 35 Whelen and the 338-06 look good too and they are much easier to either make brass for or find component/ammo for. I am all for having a fun unique gun to shoot that is tailored to your style and needs. But if you "need" a gun that is easy to find ammo for, then this is not it. That being said, I have a buddy with a light weight custom job of a rifle in 325 WSM and it shoots lights out, is light to carry and kills with authority. He has never put factory ammo through the gun to my knowledge. I think Winchester should have made a 338 WSM, it makes more sense. There is a bigger difference between it and the 300 WSM, more components to choose from, and still a niche that has not really been filled. At least not like the .30 caliber. Do we REALLY need another .30 caliber cartridge? Maybe wildcat a 338 WSM? You will have to make/scrounge components for the rest of you life anyway, why not have something that will be what you really want?

I like the 350 Remington Mag much more than the 325 WSM. The 325 is really an 8mm bullet. And a 3 shot magazine.

So with the 325wsm you can push a 200 grain bullet to 3,000fps or a 220 grain to 2750-2800. Both those loads are 24 inch barrel loads.

You can come very close to the same velocity per bullet weight with a 338-06 (338-A-Square) with less expense and a 5 shot magazine. And the bullet is bigger.

Actually the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum is in the same power and bullet weight range. But it too seems to be going nowhere fast.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

What drew me to this gun was simply the fact that I was able to find a nice stainless/composite in lefty. For you righties, you don't know how hard this can be. I was out shopping for a 300 win mag in stainless/composite to replace my old blue/wood M77 M2 in 300 win mag. Mt. View had a Savage 325WSM in the package I was looking for and bingo I had a new gun. Now I should have researched the caliber a bit more, but that's me, big impulse buyer

At the time there was several boxes of ammo on the shelf just about everywhere you went. I ended up having a buddy reload some 200 grain TSX and I shot the heck out of the gun for 4 years, and its killed everything I've asked it to, and in dramatic fashion. Fast forward and ammo is scarce, I mean really scarce.

I realize the 338 can do all that the 325WSM can, and ammo is plentiful. I used to own a 338, but shot it a couple times and sold it fast ~ **** caliber kicks like a super angry mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I like the 350 Remington Mag much more than the 325 WSM. The 325 is really an 8mm bullet. And a 3 shot magazine.

So with the 325wsm you can push a 200 grain bullet to 3,000fps or a 220 grain to 2750-2800. Both those loads are 24 inch barrel loads.

You can come very close to the same velocity per bullet weight with a 338-06 (338-A-Square) with less expense and a 5 shot magazine. And the bullet is bigger.

Actually the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum is in the same power and bullet weight range. But it too seems to be going nowhere fast.....
    Agreed. I now own a 325 WSM and 338-06 (its only a 4+1 not 5+1 though). I have killed quite a bit in the last two years I have used the 325 WSM. But its just not on the platform I like so its likely not going to be seeing much use in the future.

Sure finding 338-06 is hard but so is 325 WSM these days. I don't see either being offered OTC as factory ammo in the stores in the next 5-7 years. Thats fine though, thats why we reload right?

Yeah, if you are going to shoot anything just a little unusual, you need to get your own loading setup. I shoot several different less common rounds and have no problem as I have cases, powder, primers , bullets, molds and lead for all of them. Try finding loaded ammo for 25/20, 32/20, 220 Swift, 350 Rem, 300H&H, 22H, 22KH, 30Rem, 358N or 35Rem. These guns would mostly sit not used if not for reloading.