Thread: I Learned what NOT to catch

Default I Learned what NOT to catch

Well, I do not believe i have ever been so ticked off on the trap line until this happened. The MB-550 four coil is one powerful trap i must say. I am just glad the trap was an off set. The first day i did not know if it broke my finger or not, but i am glad to say it is not broken. My finger is still numb 5 days later though. Happy Trapping guys and keep your fingers out of the danger zone on those traps.

AlaskanfeverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	83043

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Well, I do not believe i have ever been so ticked off on the trap line until this happened. The MB-550 four coil is one powerful trap i must say. I am just glad the trap was an off set. The first day i did not know if it broke my finger or not, but i am glad to say it is not broken. My finger is still numb 5 days later though. Happy Trapping guys and keep your fingers out of the danger zone on those traps.

AlaskanfeverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	83043
    YEOWWWWW! I was recently watching a video about trapping and I could not believe the guys are putting their hands all over and around the inside of the traps. Glad you are on the mend!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

A long time ago I was trapping w/ my sisters boyfriend. He was my mentor. Not much of one, but a good guy none the less. He was teaching me how to cover the trap, and brush it off. Yep, set off a LS #4 in the tips of 4 fingers. It was one of those lessons I could learn by watching somebody else and not doing it myself. Thanks for taking the time to post a very good safety reminder to all of us.
    ARR

I play with MB's, #9's and 330's all weekend long every weekend and ONCE in a while I have a close call but like dealing with anything dangerous you need to respect and loose the "fear" of being snapped. My hands are always all over the trap when setting but what I have found is YOU need to manipulate or control the trap. Once set, you can handle, hold, position even the biggest trap with just the palm of your hand. I take lots of people along for my trapline checks, and also teach alot of newbies and the bigggest thing I tell them is stop being so scared of the trap, just respect it and you will be fine. I am NOT saying I haven't been pinched in the past, in fact I have permanent missing middle finger nail from trapping when I was 14. That last little snow ball irritating you on the center of your trap after making a "perfect" set can be a real bugger sometimes. Hope you heal up fast alaskanfever1 and able to get back out there setting!

The crazy part is i do not know how it happened to be honest. I just remember standing on the springs and flipping the jaw over and that was it. Wham bam my finger, I am headed off tonight to go pick up some setters for the mb's. There is a saying my friend told me before. "You are not a real trapper unless you have caught your fingers before, and if you have not caught your fingers and your a real trapper you are a liar." Once the trap is set you have more control the trying to set them i think. But that last snow ball i know the feeling AK River Rat, it is almost like you were talking about me. Last year i was showing a kid how to trap and turned away to talk to him for a second. When i turned back at my set i was not 100% sure where the trap was so i started making it look pretty and bam stuck my whole hand in the trap. It was a #4 but, it did not hurt like the mb did either, that may of been because it was my entire hand and not one finger.

I wear heavy lined leather gloves when I set my 550's and 650's and yes I have been caught. I try to use a whisk broom when making the final touches and that helps a lot. Sometimes the nut setting the pan tension can be too light and even if you don't get a hand you can end up with a face full of dirt! Got my right thumb stuck deep into a number 3 DBL spring in the corner and that was a very bad deal for several minutes being bare handed checking a beaver set. I would suggest anyone setting 220 and 330 conibears to have a small set of bolt cutters within easy reach as that would be a tough trap to remove alone and one handed...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I would suggest anyone setting 220 and 330 conibears to have a small set of bolt cutters within easy reach as that would be a tough trap to remove alone and one handed...

I remember setting 330's - I was always extra careful with those traps. I got my hand caught in a 120 once, and that was hard enough to remove without assistance. In fact, I can't remember how I did. LOL... Thankfully never caught my hand in a wolf trap (MB or bridger longspring, as I recall).
    Taxidermy IS art!

Well after this incident with my finger i decided it was a good idea to look at some trap setters. So a friend of mine and I went in and bought 2 pairs of the one handed trap setters from Dave Sheldon and we are going to give those a try.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Well after this incident with my finger i decided it was a good idea to look at some trap setters. So a friend of mine and I went in and bought 2 pairs of the one handed trap setters from Dave Sheldon and we are going to give those a try.
    getting your hand in a trap at below zero, in the wilderness, and miles from help might warrant having such a tool
    Taxidermy IS art!

I trapped myself once... Leg hold for fox. It hurt like crazy but the worst part about it was I couldn't get my bunny boots to release it for a good while. I actually had a bone chip work its way out awhile later. I know every fox around was watching and laughing because I never caught a darn thing from that set.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity