Thread: Brown Bear Range in South East AK

Default Brown Bear Range in South East AK

The general rule of thumb i've always been told about South East is that brown bears inhabit the ABC Islands, all islands south of that is black bear territory (Although i realize that a brownie's range stretches farther south on the mainland). Do you guys think that is fairly accurate? Are there any islands that the two bears co-inhabit, or is it really that segregated? There are quite a few islands out there and a lot of country.

Wrangell has both as well as Petersberg and Etolin
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Southern southeast might have a few mixed in here and there with the black bears, but nothing like the ABC island population. Other than the stragglers, I'de say the ABCs are basically the main established population. If your asking in terms of hunting brown bears, you would be wasting your time south of baranof island IMO.

We have them because we touch the mainland twice a day almost. We would take more on Wrangell if we had a fall season. Untill then the 15 minuet boat ride to unit one works.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    We have them because we touch the mainland twice a day almost. We would take more on Wrangell if we had a fall season. Untill then the 15 minuet boat ride to unit one works.
    "Touch the mainland twice a day"??

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Southern southeast might have a few mixed in here and there with the black bears, but nothing like the ABC island population. Other than the stragglers, I'de say the ABCs are basically the main established population. If your asking in terms of hunting brown bears, you would be wasting your time south of baranof island IMO.
    Yes, thats basically what i was getting at. Thanks

Low tide.........

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Low tide.........
    Ahhh... Gotcha