Thread: storing broad heads

Default storing broad heads

I am just curious how you guys and gals keep your broad heads.
    I just bought 6 broad heads and now I am uncertain what the best way to store them is. Currently they are disassembled and the blades are in the box I purchased them in. I feel this is safe, but it raises some difficulty when it comes time to shoot them.

I am thinking about using a soft foam pad of some kind in side a small box. My brother keeps his in his bow case. but that makes me a bit nervous as I have no place for the bow case that the kids can't get to.

A shallow box with blue or pink rigid foam works for me. I usually try to not dissassemble BH's as that only increases the odds of me cutting myself.....which I have done.

For safety with kids, put the broadheads in with your firearms.....locked I presume.

that makes sense.
    thank you
    Dave

I have a small lure box from Mepps. I place a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the compartments. A piece on the top before closing keeps them from bouncing around. I can fit 2 broad-heads in each compartment. In the end compartment, I have a piece of loop material, a couple of nocks, a couple of blunts, small game head and such. So for hunts, grab that and I am ready to go.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Put a small piece of white chalk in with the broadheads - - - they'll never rust if you do that . . . . .

Those sound like good ideas. Thank you.

MCM brand broadhead plastic box. nice setup for me. Made in USA

The biggest issue I have found, that if you are out hunting the chances are your broadheads are going to get wet. Try to keep them dry at all times, but if they are do get wet, dry them well at the end of the day to help prevent rust. The thinner the blade the easier they rust IMHO. My quiver has a dense foam that they sit in, which helps keep them dry, then I have a similar dense foam that I store them in at the end of a season. The only broadhead in question this year is the one covered in a bright red liquid after it passed through a moose at 17 yards :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have a small lure box from Mepps. I place a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the compartments. A piece on the top before closing keeps them from bouncing around. I can fit 2 broad-heads in each compartment. In the end compartment, I have a piece of loop material, a couple of nocks, a couple of blunts, small game head and such. So for hunts, grab that and I am ready to go.
    What Dave said. A small or medium sized lure box works awesome. You can put a broadhead tool, extra blades, practice blades, extra ferrules, or whatever in there. Especially a box with adjustable partitions.

I've found instead of keeping them loose I use chunks of foam cut into blocks. These keep the hole broadhead protected from you or any mishaps should they fall out of said storage container. For screw ins its simple enough to screw a shaft into one and pull it out never having to touch it. For the glue on guys like myself, that obviously doesn't work. I leave the back edge out just enough I can grab with a needle nose on the ferrule lip.

Vaseline works as a good storage sealer. It also works as a good protectant in wet weather, but I've been told it also could possibly minimize a blood trail. So far it hasn't been an issue with me when I've used it. Chap stick also works and comes in a handy applicator. I use the same sort of foam in the end of my hood as I do for around the house. Works slick! I also store some collector heads the same way.

I put some caps on 2" PVC pipe, threw some foam on the bottom and go. Haven't had any of my Tuffheads nick doing that, and I' never had one spot of rust, I don't wipe them down, don't cover them, put em away wet and they stay nice and clean.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts